Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If fetal ensoulment occurs at conception, do the deaths from miscarriage result in those souls being recycled, or is Heaven filled with innumerable fetuses floating around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The souls depart and then find the nearest gingers, because gingers have no souls to start with. The circle of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hair Colorist yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Cobert made me thumb his post. I feel so dirty now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
Cobert made me thumb his post. I feel so dirty now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
The souls depart and then find the nearest gingers, because gingers have no souls to start with. The circle of life.

So by aborting babies we're allowing Gingers to get to heaven! Saint-Sinner neutral!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had a miscarriage yesterday... It is not much of an, "oh well" kind of moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
My wife had a miscarriage yesterday... It is not much of an, "oh well" kind of moment...

Sorry for your loss. I do hope you keep trying and are successful. People who want to be parents should be given the opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps people that view this kind of thing from a distance can somehow view it as a, nothing really died so who cares kind of thing. And people who have had it happen think of it more as an actual baby died.
Maybe.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Perhaps people that view this kind of thing from a distance can somehow view it as a, nothing really died so who cares kind of thing. And people who have had it happen think of it more as an actual baby died.
Maybe.....

Proximity frequently breeds intense feelings. Wanting something makes it much more intense too. I don't think any but an extreme minority who is actually ever involved in a miscarrige or Abortion thinks the experience is no big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, the afterlife is a really serious issue for everything this religion touches, isn't it? Like you either have huge swaths of spirits trapped as non-sentient fetuses and inexperienced children for all eternity which seems like really poor planning on the part of whoever is running the joint or you assume they get "fast forwarded to their ideal state" which makes all of it, including the process of learning through life, pretty pointless to argue about since even if a maniac runs his truck through an elementary school playground and hits a pregnant teacher along the way it just sorta works itself out.

Cue at least one or two people calling this an unfair or childish attack because it paints an absurd picture even though that picture isn't one that they can figure out how to avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
jmilum wrote:
If fetal ensoulment occurs at conception, do the deaths from miscarriage result in those souls being recycled, or is Heaven filled with innumerable fetuses floating around?

According to current Catholic dogma, they're in Heaven. They got rid of Purgatory Limbo a while ago, and now unbaptized innocent souls go straight to Heaven.

Not quite sure how that squares with the concept of Original Sin, but hey, it makes grieving parents feel better to believe that there is a path to Salvationfor their little ones. And its better than having to buy an indulgence to get them into Heaven ex post facto.

For those who are really curious about this doctrinal question, here is an official policy paper from the Vatican on the subject.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously, the church tended to follow Aristotle (e.g., Aquinas,) who taught that ensoulment happened at 40 or 80 days, dependent on sex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I am so very sorry.

Losing a baby you wanted can be so very devastating. I will pray for peace and healing for both of you in the coming weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Sorry for your loss and yes the loss is real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Maybe.....
NO maybe, of course they do.

I am sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
If fetal ensoulment occurs at conception

Putting aside all else (though there is a lot else) that's easily disproved as a unique answer. Identical twins. (If you want something more complicated consider chimera.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Been there several times. It does suck... Sorry to hear that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss. And I should have been clearer in the OP: I had meant the spontaneous miscarriages when the woman doesn't even know she's pregnant. I apologize if I caused you any additional pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

We have experienced this.

It is not easy to describe how affecting it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss. And I should have been clearer in the OP: I had meant the spontaneous miscarriages when the woman doesn't even know she's pregnant. I apologize if I caused you any additional pain.

What exactly are you trying to discover here?
The end result being what it is, do you think people start thinking, well I didnt know I was pregnant, so nothing bad really happened?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
jmilum wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

What exactly are you trying to discover here?
The end result being what it is, do you think people start thinking, well I didnt know I was pregnant, so nothing bad really happened?

The vast majority of times the woman doesn't know she's pregnant nor that she had a miscarriage. I'm not sure why you're asking about 'something bad'. I didn't say or ask anything regarding a persons feelings as the person doesn't even know it occurred.

My question was more from a theological perspective: if the ensoulment happens upon conception and about half the time that results in a spontaneous miscarriage (that the woman is not aware of) is Heavan full of tiny blastosoheres floating around, or are those souls recycled to another body?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Maybe.....

Condolences. Regardless of our differences vis-a-vis....just about everything, it's a tough loss to bear. Best wishes to you and your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Having gone through the same thing, it is one of the worst things that can happen to you. My experience is that people who haven't gone through it don't really understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have also been through this. My impression is that it's far more common than most people think and a lot of people simply don't talk about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.