Subject: I have $75 dollars to spend! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
Since we spend most of the money I make on our budget, im allowed to spend money that I happen to make on the side on anything I want.
Though I prefer strategy Euro games at any depth, I tend to alternate between large box strategy, party games and small box games. Im thinking im due for some smaller games or another party game. Here are games im considering.

Traders of Osaka - Easy to teach, short amount of time and enough depth to be a great filler.

Jaipur - Trying to find something short and easy for my wife and I to play after kids bedtime. We currently play Biblios.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - looks like a great one to pull out with a group of non gamers. We do host a lot of non gamers.

Patchwork - Hard to find at decent price.

Targi - also hard to find. I like to play this online

Tokaido - I like the idea of having a casual game that can be taught to a group quickly. I enjoy Antoine's games.

Cacao - don't know much about it.

Castles of Burgandy - may be a bit much on setup and teaching but id love to learn it.

Alien Frontiers - I love to play Marco Polo so this will happen eventually.

Viticulture - Im a fan of Worker Placements and I feel the theme could pull some wine drinking non gamers in.

What am I missing?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Send the money to me and I'll send you some games. Promise.

I think Patchwork is great and most others agree.

I haven't yet played Jaipur as much as I've played Biblios, but I think I might like Jaipur better. And I haven't played Biblios enough with 3-4 to know how much I like it with that number. I was on the fence about Jaipur for over a year and just recently got it and my wife is enjoying beating me pretty regularly.

The scoring of Traders of Osaka has put me off a bit. Too bad because it looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef Kevin
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
The best mats ever!
badge
Yes, that's me in the latte!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is an excellent choice for reasons you listed.

Castles of Burgundy is super solid and worth learning to play and having in your collection.

Viticulture is an excellent choice, and I find it easy to teach to non-gamers. I think it plays fantastic with all count of players, but more competitive with even numbers due to space restrictions (2, 4, 6)

Those add up to around $75. I'm not sure I'd classify any of the games you listed as a party game, but One Night Ultimate Werewolf is my personal favorite you should look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is a favorite for my wife and I. It is a quick game, but we have never just played it once.
Patchwork is another favorite of ours, but honestly I wouldn't pay the high price people are asking for it second hand. Just wait until one of the online stores has it back in stock.
We also have Cacao and played it a few times. Good game and beats Cacassonne any day of the week for us.

Another game we enjoy is Dead Man's Draw. Simple push your luck game, but we can't get enough of it. The added roles in it are a waste in my opinion, but you don't need them with how good the core game is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will comment on the ones I can:
Jaipur - good 2 player game

Targi - I have also enjoyed playing online. Never played the physical version.

Other good 2 player games:
Battle Line
Archaeology: The Card Game - plays 2-4 players, and only $10! Everyone I have played with really enjoys it.

Some other recommendations:
Wits & Wagers - fantastic party game for 4-7+ players. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Stone Age - really fun worker placement game. Plays equally well for 2, 3, 4 players.

Martian Dice or Pickomino - great "push your luck" dice games.

Unnamed Object - great push your luck euro/party hybrid for up to 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cacao is nice, but pretty light. It would be a good choice for non-gamers. It also goes really quickly. It's a straight up resource conversion, tile-laying game. Get cacao bits, sell them for money, get more money in other ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moon Flower
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if Betrayal would be good for non gamers. That was one of the first games I played and I needed a lot of help. If a new gamer ends up being the traitor, they will most likely have trouble like i did. I've played it a handful of times and some of the haunts are still hard to figure out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm...some games I have played that I think are good 'value'? (these will be a all over the map but, card games give you a lot for the money)

(plus 1 to Incan Gold mentioned above)

Linko!

Koi Pond: A Coy Card Game

IOTA

Splendor

No Thanks!

Backgammon

Quiddler

San Juan

Kigi

just went to look at your list. Kinda wonder if there is a 'type' of game you are leaning toward. (a party game to consider might be Time's Up! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic N
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My girlfriend and I are huge fans of Patchwork. If you really do find you want to go with Patchwork, let me know. There's a local shop I'm very friendly with that I can grab a copy from and ship to you (at cost - probably around $25 total with shipping included). I didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices online either and ended up seeing it in their window one day. Anyway - I'd love to spread love for Patchwork. It's really quite excellent.

Jaipur - This is a pretty quick and easy hand management and set collection game. There's some luck in here that keeps things interesting and the camel mechanic is actually really quite interesting.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - I haven't played this myself, but the girlfriend adores it.

Targi - You already know the game. I wouldn't call it particularly light, but it's definitely a great small box game. Cardhaus has it in stock at a good price. I didn't even realize people were asking ridiculous prices for this elsewhere.

Tokaido - I like Tokaido and I also really like Antoine's games, but this game starts to get old quickly. Much of the game is about the experience and the journey itself. It's great with larger numbers of people and I would recommend against two or three players, FYI.

Cacao - I don't know much about it either, but it looks like it would be a nice light tile-laying game.

Castles of Burgundy - You could try this one out on boiteajeux.net before buying it if you'd like.

Alien Frontiers - I don't know anything about this.

Viticulture - Nor do I know anything of this.

Lastly, I do have a couple suggestions you might want to take a look at:

Fairy Tale - You said you like Bauza, so I assume you've probably played and enjoyed 7 Wonders. If you don't own 7 Wonders or want something more compact that plays 2 players without need for a dummy player, I highly recommend this.

Lanterns: The Harvest Festival - Great light tile-laying game.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small - This is an excellent two player worker placement game. It boils some of Uwe's ideas and designs into a much smaller, much quicker game that's a little bit more one-dimensional but nonetheless awesome.

Let us know what you choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
Dead Mans Draw looks awesome. Probably going to grab that one. Looks light, fast, interactive and fun. Thanks for the recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
Also, thanks to everyone else. I will get Jaipur and Dead Mans Draw. Also I was thinking Bohnanza. Next round im going to wait for Viticulture and Patchwork to become more available. Also I am going to check out Incan Gold a bit further.

Thanks for the help everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeetra84 wrote:
Dead Mans Draw looks awesome. Probably going to grab that one. Looks light, fast, interactive and fun. Thanks for the recommendation!

Its a great game. I honestly didn't think much of it when my wife first picked it up and was explaining it to me, but it is my favorite card game at the moment.
We play it in the evenings at home, but we also like to bring it to our favorite pub and play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeetra84 wrote:
Also, thanks to everyone else. I will get Jaipur and Dead Mans Draw. Also I was thinking Bohnanza. Next round im going to wait for Viticulture and Patchwork to become more available. Also I am going to check out Incan Gold a bit further.

Thanks for the help everyone.

They just announced the other day that they are working on a reprint for Viticulture, so it should be more widely available towards the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
Oh thats cool. Regarding Viticulture, I heard they are going to change/fix a few things. Everyone says you need Tuscany but it will be a bit before I add the expansion so hopefully its very playable until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeetra84 wrote:
Oh thats cool. Regarding Viticulture, I heard they are going to change/fix a few things. Everyone says you need Tuscany but it will be a bit before I add the expansion so hopefully its very playable until then.

It is very playable without Tuscany. Tuscany adds a ton of expansions and after 10-15 plays I still haven't used half of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
Just an update. I know it was a while ago but here are the games I ended up with.

Archaeology - Love it. It gets played regularly as a filler or quick game to teach non gamers.

Traders of Osaka - One of my favorite game with 2 players. Very interesting decisions with 2.

Patchwork - Amazing fun.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - has not hit the table yet but it should with Halloween around the corner.

Castles of Burgundy - Amazing. Can't get enough.

Thanks for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan (second edition)
Fleet
King of Tokyo
Machi Koro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic N
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jeetra84 wrote:
Just an update. I know it was a while ago but here are the games I ended up with.

Archaeology - Love it. It gets played regularly as a filler or quick game to teach non gamers.

Traders of Osaka - One of my favorite game with 2 players. Very interesting decisions with 2.

Patchwork - Amazing fun.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - has not hit the table yet but it should with Halloween around the corner.

Castles of Burgundy - Amazing. Can't get enough.

Thanks for all your help.

Glad to hear you ended up picking out some things that you enjoy! And I'm quite happy to hear about Patchwork. That's such an excellent game for two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you bought some games already. But I just wanted to add that before you get Jaipur check out Morels. I have both and there is some similarities but we seem to be hooked on Morels right now because there is a few more strategic choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
I absolutely plan to check out Morels. We have family coming for the holidays and we are all big fans of card games and Morel mushrooms so the theme is extremely invoting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like biblios way more than Jaipur. Jaipur is good but I'd pass on it for now. Patchwork is a great choice. Castles of burgundy, all creatures big and small, jambo, Asante, and Targi are all two player favorites of ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morris-Jeter

Des Moines
Iowa
msg tools
mb
pevsfreedom wrote:
Castles of Burgundy takes about 5 minutes to set-up and is very easy to figure out - amazing game as well. One read thru the rules and maybe watch a Rahdo runs through video and you should have it figured out. Essentially you roll dice to buy stuff off the board, and use the dice to place them on your board to earn points. You can get workers to adjust your dice rolls - it's a super fun relaxing yet subtly competitive game. I don't recommend it really for random occasions/events but if you have 1-2 other people to play it with often I think it's great. I wouldn't introduce it to family coming over sporadically though, it's probably a little much for that.

edit: Well I see you already got the game - it is quite amazing huh?! Do you introduce it to new players often or play with a more 'core' group? Out of curiosity. My family has 0 attention span and Love Letter is too complicated, so the only person I ever get to play Burgundy with is my wife (which is fine).

I have only taught it to new gamers once but it did go well. I think its because for whatever reason this game is just satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.