Taylor Reiner
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Out of Print
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a queen move like this:

Or is this illegal because the queen cannot slide to the spot?

If it is legal, I'm confused on ways to win the game without trapping the queen under a beetle. It seems the queen can always escape a potential surrounding attack if the player is vigilant.

I'm sure there are rules or tactics I'm missing. Can you win without using the beetle at all?

THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
That move is illegal because it can't slide through without moving the other two pieces apart.

Quoting the rules from page 10:

Freedom to Move

The creatures can only move in a sliding movement. If a piece is surrounded to the point that it can no longer physically slide out of its position, it may not be moved.

In the above example, the Queen Bee cannot slide out.

Edit: Quoting the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto: that's illegal.

You might consider downloading the Hive app and playing some games that way. The app will give you a sense of how all the pieces can and can't move as you might also be playing some other pieces incorrectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Reiner
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Out of Print
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thank you so much!

I'll have to try that app. That sounds like a great way to see the game played correctly and to be guided by the rules. Great suggestion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for the sake of completeness, the freedom to move rule is not the only reason the queen could not move like that. there is also the one hive rule. if you were interested in moving an ant in that way, but going the long way around (i.e. not violating the freedom to move rule), that would still not work because you break they hive during the move.

in general, if you're going to move a piece, picture removing it from the hive all together. if that breaks the hive, that piece can not be moved, even if the hive is together again after you put the piece back wherever you want it to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BTW, be sure to check out Hive FAQ if you haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.