14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: My first board gaming night with a group was tonight. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
I signed up with meetup and found out there was a local board game night tonight, so I went. It was held at a game store ( not naming any names ) but I was rather saddened to see so little variety for sale. And, there seemed to be just tons of MTG and Hearthstone, while none of the kinds of games I was hoping to find.

The store had about 50 people in it, but 25 were playing card battlers, and only card battlers. The other 25 ( from meetup ) were playing various games when I arrived. Those that were playing looked like they were enjoying themselves. The only game I recognized was Splendor.

Anyway THOSE folks looked to be having fun.... The group I was with was filled with some fun folks, but 2 people who ruined it for me..... one was non stop talking on her cell phone, and the other seemed to want to tell everybody how they should play, even though they all know how to play ( I didn't )

I won't say the game just because I know some folks that were there visit this site, and I don't want to offend anybody.

I think I would have enjoyed myself if I had been with any of the other groups, as long as I could have understood the game. The one we played was not too hard for me to grasp.

I'm 50 / 50 as to whether I will go play again, but I know I will not be looking to buy any games there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that is fairly typical for a meetup, especially one held in a game store (where MtG players are common). There are always a lot of different personalities, and sometimes it takes a few attempts to find the right people. I've been to plenty of meetups in the past, and have found gamers of all types. Some people want to be the alpha, some people don't want to socialize (amazingly), and some people only want to play their own games with people they know.

It may take a few meetups to find your crowd, but once you do, it can be enjoyable and you might even be able to find a regular group to play with outside the organized meetup. It worked for me. I now go to meetups but also go to friends' houses and host at my place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Keuler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I went to my local game store, I wound up playing Puerto Rico with a full table. I had played the game a few times before, but only a handful and with what I'd describe as casual gamers. Two turns in, the player to my left berated my move and told me how I'd never win. Kinda' ruined the experience. Undaunted, I returned a second night and found a awesome table filled with a bunch of people I consider close friends now. Don't give up.

(And for the record, I won that game of Puerto Rico...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GarlicGuy wrote:
I signed up with meetup and found out there was a local board game night tonight, so I went. It was held at a game store ( not naming any names ) but I was rather saddened to see so little variety for sale. And, there seemed to be just tons of MTG and Hearthstone, while none of the kinds of games I was hoping to find.

Did you go with the intention to play games or buy games? Or both?

Quote:
The store had about 50 people in it, but 25 were playing card battlers, and only card battlers. The other 25 ( from meetup ) were playing various games when I arrived. Those that were playing looked like they were enjoying themselves. The only game I recognized was Splendor.

Card games, like MTG, Yu-Gi-Oh, CFV, Force of Will, etc. are the lifeblood of LGS's. Without them, they will likely go out of business. It's not uncommon to see them there.

I understand it can be somewhat intimidating to only recognize one game out of many, but that's kind of the whole reason I go to meetups, to play new games. I mean, I enjoy the social aspect of it too.

Quote:
Anyway THOSE folks looked to be having fun.... The group I was with was filled with some fun folks, but 2 people who ruined it for me..... one was non stop talking on her cell phone, and the other seemed to want to tell everybody how they should play, even though they all know how to play ( I didn't )

Most gamers I've encountered are respectful enough not to be on their phone the whole time, or excuse themselves when they have an important call. Don't let him and the other guy give you the wrong impression, there are good people out there, even if you were unfortunate enough not to have them playing with you.

If you go back and it happens again, let them know that what they're doing is uncool.

Quote:
I won't say the game just because I know some folks that were there visit this site, and I don't want to offend anybody.

I think I would have enjoyed myself if I had been with any of the other groups, as long as I could have understood the game. The one we played was not too hard for me to grasp.

I'm 50 / 50 as to whether I will go play again, but I know I will not be looking to buy any games there.

Why, though? Because they don't have a good selection? Because they don't have the game you want? Cuz that's perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this can happen. It is why I tend to show up early so I can get an idea of the people in advance. That being said sometimes you just get stuck with someone you aren't going to have a good time playing with. Chances are there are a few people there you wouldn't mind playing games with.

I say either look somewhere else or give it another chance and look around early and pick a game you want to play. If you can find someone you enjoy playing games with you can ask them to hold a seat for you next time.

The cell phone thing and the person telling people how to play is a big no no for me. I hate when people do those things as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give it a few more weeks. The first night I went to a similar event it was awkward and I had some of the same feelings, but after I went back a few times I started to meet people with similar tastes in games and have enjoyed myself ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps go a few more times, find some folks that you enjoy playing with and then organise to meet with those people for regular game nights at your house or another mutually convenient location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
First time meetups are usually awkward. I know mine was and had I not gone back I would have regretted it as I am now a established member of a robust gaming community I can game with weekly. My advice is to exercise patience, give it a few tries, give everyone a chance to get to know each other and get comfortable. You will always run into people that are annoying in these situations. That is part of the trade off. If after a few more visits it doesn't work out then re assess.

Best of luck.

If interested, here is my first visit to a board game night that led to wonderful things later:

I had been out of the hobby a while and largely done card games and RPGS in the past so board gaming was this new frontier for me. I brought a couple friends with me who are not really into gaming but came as support.

My first game in the store, after never playing anything more complex than Settlers, was a full capacity BattleStar Galactica game.

So, me and my two friends had NEVER played anything that complicated. I was up for it but I realized pretty quickly they were not. Which made me feel bad as the game progressed. Our table was right next to a tablet display that kept looping a demo of Fantasy Flight games in a british monotone which did a more effective job of keeping one of my friends attention than the game. So whenever it came to his turn he would get startled and ask what he should do as he pretty much tuned out the game the rest of the time. Meanwhile, my other friend, who is a bit germ phobic, made the mistake of using the bathroom. Which... well it was disgusting. In fact, funny side note, we nick named it Cthulu and instead of saying we were using a restroom we would excuse ourselves to go make a "sanity check". Anyways, back to the story. So my friend used this disgusting toilet and wouldn't you know it she then started to imagine people using it and then playing card and board games, handling game components, and then her in turn handling those same components and well... She got out the purel and was using it pretty constantly.

So... about half way through, my friend who was more focused on the tablet than the game, poor guy was clearly bored, asked the group, "what do you do again if you are the traitor?". We probably should have called the game there but no... we perservered. Now, if you don't know a lot about battlestar this may not make sense, but my friend who basically anounced he was the traitor was also the engineer. The ONLY engineer. So this slowed the game dramatically. We pretty much all knew we were fucked but because he wasn't really sure how to play the role we had to suffer a slow agonizing death. I mean, it was probably a lot like when a lion cub catches its first prey. Not sure what to do but pretty sure it is going to end badly for its meal. This was especially vexing for one of the more seasoned players who was doing his best to make the game work despite all this because the traitor kept asking him how to be a traitor so now the seasoned player was put in a situation where he was having to tell the traitor how to most optimally kill everyone else including the seasoned player. I found this a bit amusing personally but could appreciate the irony for a competitive guy like this person was.

This game took close to 4 hours. After words my friends wanted to leave of course.

I went back and my friends did not. The store's community is large and diverse and we play tons of different games every week with all kinds of different and interesting people who come and go as well as a core of friends that come almost every week. I could be playing a game of village with a old lady one week and teaching a kid how to play City of Iron the next. Other than a few bad eggs every once in a while everyone gets along. We even have a facebook group where we coordinate what we will bring, compare libraries, and even inform our buying behaviors to a certain extent so that we get to bring a lot of new games to the table all the time. It is one of the best things that has happened to me in terms of my hobby and love of it. Heck, we even all chipped in to get a new bathroom set up and now cthulu is no more. Not that this will ever get my poor germ phobic friend back in the store...Not even with the scented candle and TARDIS key.

GarlicGuy wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Paquin
Canada
Val d'Or
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As most people said, give it more chance.

When we went to our first game night, me and my girlfriend were really stressed. We didn't know what to expect or anything, mostly my girlfriend who is not at "geek" and was basicly playing with me.
Now, 3 years later, we are now friends with some of the people who go there, and my girlfriend can't wait for the next game night, which only happen every 2 months.
But at least we know some other people who like to play, so we might end up doing some game nights at our place during the wait for the next one at the game store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my first board game experience was a four-hour slog through Battlestar Galactica, I'd have found a different hobby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I must have been really lucky. I have been to boardgame meetups in various cities I have been travelling through and always had a great time, even at the first session. Maybe it helps that I am socially confident and willing to introduce myself to groups about to play something interesting looking, instead of waiting to be approached. I'm also not afraid to politely turn down a game I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable in a hardcore geek environment, as well as more social groups, but it sounds as if you would enjoy the latter more, so (assuming you don't live somewhere too remote), try finding a group that meets in a cafe/bar, rather than a game store. They tend to have quite a different vibe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeah, that sort of thing's pretty common. Lord knows the last board game night I went to was mostly people playing M:tG. Thankfully, I'd come with friends and we'd brought our own game, so it didn't go as badly as we'd worried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Y
msg tools
mb
chinagirlgeek wrote:
Wow, I must have been really lucky. I have been to boardgame meetups in various cities I have been travelling through and always had a great time, even at the first session. Maybe it helps that I am socially confident and willing to introduce myself to groups about to play something interesting looking, instead of waiting to be approached. I'm also not afraid to politely turn down a game I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy.

Personally, I'm quite comfortable in a hardcore geek environment, as well as more social groups, but it sounds as if you would enjoy the latter more, so (assuming you don't live somewhere too remote), try finding a group that meets in a cafe/bar, rather than a game store. They tend to have quite a different vibe.

I think that has to do with my extremely limited exposure to the more complex games. Plus I like short games.... 45 minutes or less. But even if I had experience, those 2 would have annoyed me, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.