Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Simultaneous Solo Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just purchased the Firefly board game and haven't played a single game yet. This week I'm visiting a friend who enjoys some board games and loves Firefly. The catch is, he has a very strong preference for games that are co-op instead of competitive.

Would it be possible for the two of us to simultaneously play the one-player Story Card? As in, each of us would win or lose completely independently of the other player's success. Or maybe our fates are intertwined and we both fly missions but have to come up with double the money? What kind of house rules would we need to make this viable?

Thanks in advance for any advice you could lend me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The base game often feels like a solo game with a shared board... but only one person gets to win the solo game.

If you want to play a very non-competitive version, here's what I would suggest:

1) Use the "First Time In the Captain's Chair" Story card, but with the following story adaptation:

You are playing two captains who have a friendly competition, but who are both beholden to Niska.

2) Set a time limit of 22 rounds (Normally, I would say 20 rounds should be very do-able, but since this will literally be your first game...).

3) Each of you can try to complete the game independently, but after 22 rounds, Niska cracks down on EVERYONE, so if one of you gets ahead, you might as well help your buddy!

Since you won't be competing, I definitely encourage you to relish the "storytelling" aspect of things, and enjoy putting your crew together, etc.

Have fun!

There probably ARE better ways to do a co-op game, but I would encourage new players to keep it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the "Harken's Folly" story card could work as a 2-player cooperative game, with one of you doing the Crying Wolf goal and the other has to do the Belle of the Ball goal immediately after, or you both fail. Note that since one uses a Tech test and the other uses Talk, you'll be building different crews (though you'd still need variety to pass the misbehaves).

You could round-up crew & gear and then fly to the same sector to rendezvous and divvy them up between you as needed before taking-on the goals.

You'd have to decide together whether you both need to get Solid with the Big Four or just collectively.

(Edited to add) One additional thought: it always bothered me that the Alliance Meeting in this story is sort of going on indefinitely while waiting for the players to make their play. This is a necessary conceit in a competitive game, since some may fall behind. However, in a cooperative game you could say that the meeting is taking place on Turn 20 (or Turn 10+3d6, ignoring Thrillin' Heroics) and the players MUST be in position at the specified systems on that turn, ready or not!

(Cue the "Mission: Impossible" music)

I'm gonna have to try this myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just found this thread about another Co-op scenario for two:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1049020/slaying-dragon-co-o...

However, it is recommended for experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like both of those suggestions! And I appreciate the fast responses!

Maybe "First Time In the Captain's Chair" is better for a first game, story-wise? We're both in it mostly because we miss being immersed in the world. It'll be a few games before either of us is very critical of mechanics, I imagine. For the co-op version of "Harken's Folly" is there anything that should incentivize us to not just wait until we're both super well-equipped? In general, would you say 20 turns is a good timer setting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want to be incentivized, a time limit is probably the way to go.

Honestly, the game is intended to be played in about 20 rounds. That's the time limit for the solo game, and we've seen in the play-by-forum games that it's also about right. As an experienced played, I can probably win "First Time" in less than 15 rounds, but since this is your first game, 20 or even slightly higher is probably right.

If you want more incentive, pay Niska a vig every turn. I have a houserule that I use on that story sometimes where you have to pay Niska $100 at the end of every turn or he kills a Crew member. Now, it's really hard to be without $100, so it's not likely to have huge impact, BUT it might help you keep moving. You could even up in a little to, say, $300 (so that you can't just keep doing Make-Work to compensate... but that would negatively impact the beginning of the game.

Maybe something like this:

Up to Round 10: At the end of every round, pay Niska $100 or he Kills a Crew (cannot be rescued by Medic) as a message. (So this would be $100 EACH, direct from each player's pocket -- this will encourage you to keep your own crews in order, but also cooperate as needed)

Round 11-20: Pay Niska $300 every round or he kills a Crew.

Round 21+ Pay Niska $500 every round or he kills one more Crew than he did last time. Eventually, he'll wipe out your entire Crew, including the Captain. At this point, you're late in paying off Niska and he's MAD.

Adjust numbers to your suit the speed of your game. (If you want to make the game a little more challenging, adjust the $6000 you owe Niska to the cost of your ship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol You friend sounds a lot like me! The easiest co-op IMHO is to take the 20 turn limit and see how much money you both can amass in that time. Frankly this works as a competitive format, too, but it's definitely fun as a cooperative venture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.