Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit of a novice painter, but cant get over how easy it is to get these models painted up and looking good. They're almost designed for the learning mini painter!

Start with Hungry Dead, teaching you basic painting technique. Cover in blood for dodgy parts. Then learn how to wash with devlan mud or the like.

Then tentacles, again good practice applying paints to specific areas. Then drybrushing

Then goliath, more of the same but now starting to learn details (the teeth the mouth).

As you go on you could pick up an airbrush and start learning that for the gradiated effect on the slashers, and the skin of the lava man.

My last purchase was to buy the "agrellan earth" paint for the Lava bases which looks pretty cool too.

If anyone is considering learning to paint, this is an amazing game at letting you practice, and then once its all done you have one of the best ameritrash (amerithrash?) games of the year to boot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that the questionable alignment of some of the parts is a good place to learn to use "green stuff" or the like, to fill those gaps.
I've been painting for years and aside from the obvious complains about detail & quality. Overall, I really like the models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. C.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst the models may not be the finest,they always look better once painted and those who know how to get the best out of them can really elevate them quite nicely, you only have to look at Fred Inks work ( Among others )to see what can be achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I found that the lack of detail and texture makes some minis less rewarding to paint as it is not so easy to make the details pop out.

I have little experience myself, but although the minis look better painted than not, almost all the other minis I have look better than the Shadows of Brimstone ones, even the ones I painted with less experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zinho73 wrote:
To be honest, I found that the lack of detail and texture makes some minis less rewarding to paint as it is not so easy to make the details pop out.

I have little experience myself, but although the minis look better painted than not, almost all the other minis I have look better than the Shadows of Brimstone ones, even the ones I painted with less experience.

Agreed.

I've painted all mine up to a decent standard. Decent only because the detail isn't there to do anything beyond that.

I've painted hundreds if not thousands on minis over the years and these are some of the less impressive.

Now on the discussion of great for beginners or not that's a tricky premise. There will be less of a difference between experienced and novice painters on these mini's, but I can't help but feel that beginners will also be less than impressed with what a decent job they can do.

All in all, I wouldn't be concerned letting children interested in painting mini's start on these, not because they are easy per say, but because they can only stuff them up so much, given the lack of detail in them.

Saying all that, they still look much better painted than not, but these are some of the quickest mini's I've painted simply due to there not really being much detail to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.