Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Head over to my Youtube channel to subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYbPmE7vtO4

Or subscribe to the BGG Blog here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/707

Intro (00:00); top 100 breakdown (03:42); closing thoughts (25:05);

Top 100 List of Games: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/191139/drive-thru-review-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was brave of you. Thank you for making me aware of Gamersgate. I'm not a video gamer so I don't know about that. I have lots of thoughts and comments so here goes.

To start off, one thing you said I want to challenge just a bit is "you can manage yourself, you can take care of your friends/family". After 2.5 years of intense counseling I have to take issue with that. I do understand what you are saying, but the reality is (and what most of us should strive for, first and foremost) is managing yourself. I have no control over, and no responsibility for, the feelings, actions, or thoughts of other adults.

It's my job to manage me, your job to manage you. It's not my job to make you feel good. I can treat you with kindness and respect, but how you choose to feel about that is up to you.

It's cool you brought up both sides of the gender thing in fantasy. Not only are the women portrayed in anatomically incorrect ways, the men are as well. There are plenty of men in loincloths who are totally ripped and tall.

I also think that if you scan "all forms of art and culture" you are going to see a spread of people depicted. THe fact is that the artist/creator are the ones who are creating based on either their viewpoint, their experience, or the experience they are trying to create. I applaud what you are doing but we really gotta be careful with this type of thing, because the next step is quotas, guidelines, punishment, and now you're talking censorship and that's just a really slippery slope. It's a road that is easy to go down when you have "good intentions".

Watch some BET sometime. There aren't many white people on that channel, and that's fine. How white people (except white women?) do you see on rap videos? Not many.

The biggest thing I want to mention is to be careful with judging roles that women are portrayed on in games/art/culture. I hear (and agree) that equal opportunity is the ideal and should be pursued, but it's very dangerous to start to say "we need more female CEOs" etc. Um, they can choose their career path, and if they even want a "career" at all. Be careful that we are not projecting our values on others. In my opinion, being a parent is way more valuable and meaningful that being a corporate person running a company.

As I said at the beginning I hear you. I think you said it well at the end when you discussed the gamergate thing. So, to sum up something I saw on a meme somewhere:

The bottom line is this; there are 7? billion people on this planet, and there is a percentage of them who are batshit crazy. That's just reality. Passing more laws, setting more guidelines, taking away more of our freedoms just isn't going to change that reality. All we're doing is making us "good folks" suffer trying to "fix" the assholes. This is a losing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.