Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I are about halfway through a campaign; I am the empire and we have 4 heroes. When I am the overlord, keeper, dm, etc in games like this (Decent, Mansions of Madness, Doom) I don’t necessarily play to win, I play to create the most dramatic conclusion possible. It is my goal to have the fate of a scenario come down to the final moments, to that final turn, or final dice roll. I would rather lose in nail-biting tension, than to completely crush the heroes and give them no chance to win. Don’t get me wrong. I still try and aim to win but I just want it to be exciting.

Accomplishing this isn’t always easy. You don’t ever want the heroes to feel like you are throwing them a bone, the entire mission needs to be wrought with tension. Thankfully aiming for a climatic finish and what makes thematic sense are usually on the same page. So far I’ve done a pretty good job. Of our previous 4 missions I’ve managed to have the fate of the game come down to the final turns of the final round. 3 times it came down to the last turn of the game and 2 of those came down to the final dice roll. Things have been pretty exciting and dramatic, embodying what we all love about star wars.

Last night was a different story, however. I’m only going to speak in generalities so as not to create any spoilers but I will give you the gist. We were playing the mission Imperial Hospitality and this was the first time we were able to get together in 5 months . . .oh by the way I have a 5 month old baby at home . . .wait a minute that’s the same length of time as how long we haven’t been able to play! Anyway I was a little rusty on the rules and more importantly had forgotten about a lot of nuances of the game. At the end of the 5th round I deployed a group of elite storm troopers. If I were purely trying to win and remove all hope from the heroes there was an easy choice for where I should deploy them. Not only are elite storm troopers formidable but I also have the “adaptive weapons” upgrade which allows me to swap out any attack dice of an imperial figure and replace it with the dice of my choice. This means I can roll Blue+Red for strong, mid range damage, Blue+Blue for ridiculous range, and Green+Red for high pointblank range. My thought was that if I deployed the storm troopers to the obvious place the heroes wouldn’t stand a chance. The win and their loss would feel cheap and the game would have abruptly ended when things felt like they were only getting started.

So I decided to deploy my troops to another location. I was still satisfied by this decision; it made more thematic sense, still put a lot of pressure on the heroes, and gave me a good chance to win. The only difference is that this decision allowed for a greater climatic ending . . . or so I thought.

The problem is that I forgot about how powerful the hero Gideon’s command power is and my math on how many more rounds the game would drag on was way off. See the reality is that even if I had deployed the troops to the “cheap” location, I still would have had a tough time winning but would have at least had a chance. My choice sealed my fate and the heroes won handedly. I’m not really upset that I lost, I’m just annoyed it wasn’t exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The burden's of a DM. Working towards that balance is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*My friends and I are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Landers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
*My friends and I are

Good thing you came in here and told him the correct way to phrase that. It's not douchey, and is also very helpful. Thanks!

Anyway...I wouldn't be that upset about it. I play the same way as you, and have one full campaign in the bag. Final score was Rebels - 7 and Imps(Me) - 6 with me wining the final mission. That is pretty even. A lot of the missions came down to the wire. There were two or three that didn't. Mostly because one side made some kind of costly strategic mistake. Sometimes it's not going to come down to the last turn, and you should not worry about it. As long as everyone is having fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
*My friends and I are

thank you. I tend to mix up when to use "me" and "I", especially on Wednesdays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HmmJustABox wrote:

Anyway...I wouldn't be that upset about it. I play the same way as you, and have one full campaign in the bag. Final score was Rebels - 7 and Imps(Me) - 6 with me wining the final mission. That is pretty even. A lot of the missions came down to the wire. There were two or three that didn't. Mostly because one side made some kind of costly strategic mistake. Sometimes it's not going to come down to the last turn, and you should not worry about it. As long as everyone is having fun.

Good point. How much of a risk is there for things to snowball in favor of the Rebels? Some of their powers are getting awfully nasty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brock Landers
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do get powerful, but so do you. Those late missions give you a ton of threat. And hey...if they get too strong don't be afraid to bump things a little your way too. Just like you are doing with them. I gave myself some elite Royal Guards once instead of the regulars. And once I didn't pay the whole threat amount for a unit. There were other times, though, that I had the threat but didnt put anything out at all because I felt the Rebels had enough on their plate already.

I wasn't afraid to smudge the rules a bit in either direction to make a specific mission the most fun it could be. Our whole group loved the game, and we can't wait until Return to Hoth comes out. In the meantime, next week I am starting a new campaign with mostly new people with Twin Shadows thrown right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.