StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Eye of the Storm - 6 Player Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yesterday we played the "Eye of the Storm" - Scenario from the BW-rulebook.
As a result, I can highly recommend this scenario! Especially with rookie players, this is way more fun since everybody immediately understands the need to be aggressive instead of bunkering in. This was way more fun than normal 2vs2, which is the mode we usually play.

Short Introduction:

The Scenario is played 2vs2vs2. Each race is one team. The Zerg needs to protect the Overmind, which is located in the middle of the galaxy, for 7 turns. The Terrans&Protoss wins if they destroy the Overmind before then. Of course, the Terrans only win if they themselves destroy the Overmind, so it's not all: "Let's bash the Zerg! Kill them!" but later in the game Terrans and Protoss will also have to attack each other. The Zerg start with superior troops and are the only ones allowed to use the ressources printed on their starting sheet.
Let me tell you - having access to only 3 mineral during the first turn leads to some tough choices.

Heres a picture of the starting setup, more or less:

Zerg have two bases each and two transports on Torus each. Terrans&Protoss one base each with one transport. Token in the middle is supposed to be the Overmind (switched it later to the proper token).

As for team balance, I tried to pair up the two best players with the two worst players as Terrans and Protss and put the two medium players in the middle as Zerg. I think it is especially important that the two strongest players do NOT end up as Zerg, however our Zerg took a bit too long to get back into the game and messed up the first two turns a bit. However, they still put up a good fight and made for a very exciting game.

Heres a picture of turn2, where the Zerg lost two bases and a lot of units, sealing their doom:

The Zerg recovered a bit during turn3 but in turn4 things started to look dark.

This is late turn4, the lowest order on Torus being my (orange) gold mobilize order. However, due to hosting duties, rule queries and drinking wine, I forgot to build my 2nd Research module that turn, so that I could not use my order. Ouch.

During the fifth and final turn, the Zerg and Terrans allied against the mighty Protoss, trying to save the Overmind. The Queen of Blades (purple) made some space for Mengsk (red), so that he could attack the ever growing Aldaris army and managed to take down the newly build Carrier togheter with a scout. The planned Terran counterattack on Tassadar (yellow) failed to a miscommunication between Zerg and Terran (Terrans order unintentionally blocked by the Zerg, so that he could not attack). This resulted in a crushing blow to the Overmind dealt by Tassadar, with Aldaris ready as unneeded backup.

All in all, this was a really awesome game of Starcraft. The rematch is already scheduled. The shifting alliances and clear goals make this scenario superior to the normal conquest point grab (unless playing with very experienced players).
Also I really liked the 10-high order stack on Torus during the last couple of rounds.

Tactical side note: Protoss best win chance is turn 5, because then they can place the first two orders on Torus. Turn 6 is P/T/T/Z/Z/P, with Turn 7 being the Terrans best chance: T/T/.. .
I think it's important to know this, so the players know when the most danger from a certain faction will come and shift their alliances accordingly.
The somewhat linear layout of the galaxy looks a bit stale, however the clear goals and massive action in the middle make more than up for it.

As a closing note, I will repeat my starting words:

I can highly recommend playing this scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound like a great scenario! I always wanted to play those. However, I also promised myself to never play StarCraft with 6 players again. I assume correctly that this scenario only plays with 6?

How long did your match last?

Nicholas M wrote:
However, due to hosting duties, rule queries and drinking wine, I forgot to build my 2nd Research module that turn, so that I could not use my order. Ouch.

oooh... been there...
Hosting takes up more of your focus than most people would expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started around 7 p.m. and finished around midnight. I would not expect it to go faster with inexperienced players, might be even longer. With experienced players, I think around 4h is realistic.
The scenario plays from 3-6, however the factions controlled by one player will be huge.
I think the 3-player scenario looks very good too and is probably a better alternative if you play with inexperienced players. I didn't like the 4-player scenario too much (from the rulepage, didn't play it).

And yeah, hosting duties can influence ones game. However, I still prefer to play at my place. It's only bad in long (3h+) games imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did play the 3-player scenario (trump card) yesterday. It seems like it's quite good too, but the 6-player scenario was more fun imo.
In the 3-player you should put the most experienced player as Jim Raynor.
With 3 experienced players and enough time, I think I would choose Eye of the Storm over Trump Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting a few more plays in of this scenario and the 3 player (Trump card), I still think that this is way more fun than Trump Card (not that Trump Card is bad).
However, I mentioned above you should not put the two strongest player as Zerg. Scratch that. Zerg has it incredible hard in this scenario, even if played aggressively. I also think that Terran pretty much has to attack Protoss in Turn 5, maybe 4 or 6 as well, or Protoss will win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I ask your updated playtime for Trump Card and Eye of the Storm?

Also, for Trump Card, how did you play the Psi-Emitter?
(1) Jim Raynor must execute a mobilize order to Dylar IV.
(2) Jim Raynor must survive any battle following that mobilize order.
(3) Jim Raynor must survive to the Regroup Phase on Dylar IV.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.