United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please feel free to share all your techniques/ideas/fears/etc... right here on this discussion page.

Personally I subscribe to the weight watchers technique of weight-loss. Calorie counting, monitoring intake of fat, and balancing this with some nice exercise. It's worked for me in the past, where I lost 80lbs in about nine months. It was great, and I kept weight off for about six years.

So please share what YOU do to lose weight. Don't worry about telling people what they should do, just what has worked for you.

Also don't forget to subscribe to this thread

Here is the link to the updates thread:

BGG Weight Loss Challenge - Autumn - Updates

Also, here's the link back to the challenge list.

BGG Weight Loss Challenge - Autumn Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back, everybody! We're going to have the best challenge yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello peeps! Welcome back to all you losers, and welcome to all you new people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting hungry just thinking about this challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for it to start. I think I'm going a bit wonky at the moment, with all the stalls and the thesis writing. I need some encouragement! Although probably with my thesis too, as I'll be handing that in a couple of weeks before the end of the challenge! That time will be difficult food wise, as I'm going to be travelling between England and Germany a fair amount, and England doesn't do easily accessible and healthy vegan food, so I'll be living off chips. The British kind that is - jumbo fries to the non-Brits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is crazy, I can't possibly do this again.

Ok, I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
This is crazy, I can't possibly do this again.

Ok, I'm in.

*cheers*

Glad to see a familiar face as well as the first-timers of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone! I'm probably not going to participate in the challenge, but I'll participate in this thread. I know that some people are super motivated by challenges like this and I think they are great, but I'm just not one of those people. But I would like to get rid of some weight for a multitude of reasons.

I have a condition that developed when I was teen and on of the effects is sudden weight gain. It is really hard for me to maintain a lower weight and to do so I have to change my diet for the long term.

What I'm particularly interested in are recipes and swaps for lower calorie alternatives. I still want to enjoy what I eat!

I've done strict calorie counting in the past, but armed with the knowledge I learned through experience I'd like to move forward with a more relaxed watching of calories and only adopt changes I can sustain in the long haul.

So if you don't mind someone only half participating I'll be here to cheer you all on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:
Hey, everyone! I'm probably not going to participate in the challenge, but I'll participate in this thread. I know that some people are super motivated by challenges like this and I think they are great, but I'm just not one of those people. But I would like to get rid of some weight for a multitude of reasons.

I have a condition that developed when I was teen and on of the effects is sudden weight gain. It is really hard for me to maintain a lower weight and to do so I have to change my diet for the long term.

What I'm particularly interested in are recipes and swaps for lower calorie alternatives. I still want to enjoy what I eat!

I've done strict calorie counting in the past, but armed with the knowledge I learned through experience I'd like to move forward with a more relaxed watching of calories and only adopt changes I can sustain in the long haul.

So if you don't mind someone only half participating I'll be here to cheer you all on.

Absolutely! You are most welcome to come along for the ride! There really isn't a huge commitment to being in the challenge with us, other than the weekly weigh-ins, and if the GG is an issue, I would be more than happy to donate to you for the entry fee.

So please stay and hang out and contribute to the discussion, but I'd much rather have you in with us officially

Whatever you decide is great!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Renwmn wrote:

I think that's what I'm going to be doing too! My weight loss is slow going because I'm in a similar boat in that I don't want to do a restrictive diet. I want smaller, sustainable changes. So I'm losing weight at a rate of about 1 lb per 2 weeks - not fast enough to meet the goal of the challenge.

But I like following along the thread - it's a great place for support and encouragement, and talk about the ups and downs of the weight loss journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ryan! What works best for me is arming myself with more knowledge, tips, and recipes which I can integrate in my lifestyle. I appreciate you understanding me not jumping into the challenge officially for my own personal success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Amy

*waves at Adria*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would like to join in if I can please. I just bumped in to this challenge looking at someone's microbadge so I don't really know how it all works. Is there another thread that explains it all? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lordb4me wrote:
I would like to join in if I can please. I just bumped in to this challenge looking at someone's microbadge so I don't really know how it all works. Is there another thread that explains it all? Thanks

Welcome Mary

Here's the geeklist that explains everything - BGG Weight Loss Challenge - Autumn Edition. If you don't have the geekgold, let us know and we'll sort you out between us, I'm sure

Basically, you tip that list with 20 geek gold to enter. Then we all weight in on 21st September, and every following Monday for 8 weeks (plus the initial weigh in). Everyone gets a badge for joining in, and those that lose 6% get another badge. We all encourage and motivate (and console if needs be!) on the discussion here. We're a friendly supportive group - I've lost 24lbs thanks to the help of everyone here There's been a little something for the top 3 losers in the past - I'm sure Ryan will let us know if this is happening again, as I can't remember if he's said.

Whereabouts in England are you living? I'm originally from Manchester, but living in Berlin at the moment.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Manchester! Cool! Which part?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lordb4me wrote:

Lisa nailed it. I'll finance your entry fee if you're short, and as far as the top three prizes go, I'm not sure how it will work yet. Our first challenge saw three generous people donate prizes, and in our last challenge I just did the donating. I definitely want to keep that alive, so it will happen in some capacity. Whether it's a game, or maybe some cool hand-made gaming accessory from one of the creative types in our midst! I may start a discussion about that in the near future

In any event, please join us! Let me know if you need financial help, and other than that, time to get healthy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone here is responsible for giving me my second citizenship star, I can't thank you enough!!! It really means a great deal to me!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bell
United States
Baroda
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if I'll be able to participate in this fall challenge. I go into a Nuke outage in the middle of September, and it will last approximately 6 weeks. I work a crazy amount of hours, and will have a hard time checking in consistently here at BGG. I will be eating as well as i can, but sometimes it can get hard when time is limited.

Is there a Winter challenge as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
thrak76 wrote:
Not sure if I'll be able to participate in this fall challenge. I go into a Nuke outage in the middle of September, and it will last approximately 6 weeks. I work a crazy amount of hours, and will have a hard time checking in consistently here at BGG. I will be eating as well as i can, but sometimes it can get hard when time is limited.

Is there a Winter challenge as well?

No worries!! Absolutely there will be a Winter challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Big loser here. I finished my journey a little over a year ago. I plan to follow this thread and offer encouragement and advice if needed.

If anyone has questions about running, biking, HIIT, calorie tracking, cheat days devil, or anything else fitness related. PM me. No question too silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be willing to donate to the challenge prizes; I'm pretty handy and like to make upgrades for games. I'll keep an eye out for the discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The link below takes you to a free online course (run by the Open University) about the Science of Nutrition, which starts, as it happens, on the 21st of September... 3 hours per week for four weeks.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-science-of-nutrition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kitobor wrote:
The link below takes you to a free online course (run by the Open University) about the Science of Nutrition, which starts, as it happens, on the 21st of September... 3 hours per week for four weeks.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-science-of-nutrition

I love that universities are doing these free-online courses now. I've done quite a few through coursera (Genetics, Evolution, Thermodynamics, Writing in the Sciences) - good fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

Just joined this challenge! Mostly to loose the last excess weight. My weighthistory in kgs:

Summer 2013: 108 kg
Oktober 2013: 100 kg
April 2014: 90 kg
August 2015: 85 kg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Jepson
Ireland
Cork
Co. Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jocab wrote:
Hi there!

Just joined this challenge! Mostly to loose the last excess weight. My weighthistory in kgs:

Summer 2013: 108 kg
Oktober 2013: 100 kg
April 2014: 90 kg
August 2015: 85 kg

Wow, that's some excellent weight loss there! Glad you've joined us Hopefully you'll have some good tips for us all, and we'll help motivate you through the last few kilos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lisaabbott78 wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Manchester! Cool! Which part?

Thanks Lisa I've signed up now and surprisingly, I had enough geek gold!
We are in Cheadle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [40] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.