Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! It's exciting to see this gem has such an active (and smart!) following. My gaming group and I are preparing to play the campaign game and are perplexed by a few odds and ends. My apologies in advance if these are hoary old issues long settled, but I haven't noticed them addressed (or missed it in the flurry of information).

1. May attackers ever retreat? The attacker can withdraw from a security mission per footnote 3 on the flow chart, but there is no counterpart on the S&D/C&S chart. I believe the answer is that they cannot, since you are only forced to fight if you're in the same hex. This means you had better not go into an enemy hex unless you're prepared to win with reserves and firepower.

2. Also, from the flow chart: What is "defensive interdiction"? It doesn't seem to be specifically addressed anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
suhiir wrote:
Wow! It's exciting to see this gem has such an active (and smart!) following. My gaming group and I are preparing to play the campaign game and are perplexed by a few odds and ends. My apologies in advance if these are hoary old issues long settled, but I haven't noticed them addressed (or missed it in the flurry of information).

1. May attackers ever retreat? The attacker can withdraw from a security mission per footnote 3 on the flow chart, but there is no counterpart on the S&D/C&S chart. I believe the answer is that they cannot, since you are only forced to fight if you're in the same hex. This means you had better not go into an enemy hex unless you're prepared to win with reserves and firepower.

Attacker's don't retreat, although they can "pursue" out of the hex if they have enough pursuit movement.

Quote:
2. Also, from the flow chart: What is "defensive interdiction"? It doesn't seem to be specifically addressed anywhere.

Exactly like Offensive Interdiction. It could be used to slow down pursuing units, etc, especially if you're planning to retreat. I've never used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast response Mitchell.
I just found an earlier post that addressed this with the same answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve Shilcock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi There,

No, attackers can never retreat, they can only use whatever pursuit bonus is available. Like you said, getting into the same hex as the enemy is a "Do or Die" situation!

I don't have the rulebook to hand, but defensive interdiction would my guess be Defender using artillery to perform interdiction the same as an attacker can - try and slow attackers down when defenders retreat away from combat. Probably wouldn't get used by the NLF much, but could be a valid tactic for US/ARVN trying a tactical withdrawal??

Steve

*ACK* Ninja'd!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brown
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you nevertheless, Steve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suhiir wrote:
Wow! It's exciting to see this gem has such an active (and smart!) following. My gaming group and I are preparing to play the campaign game and are perplexed by a few odds and ends...

Welcome to the experience. If you play the campaign game it is more of an experience than a game.

A few perplexing odd and ends... You are just getting started my friend... It gets much worse.

Fortunately I have compiled a fairly comprehensive list of rules errata, clarifications, and discussions in the files section of this forum. You are sure to find it helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not much reason for defensive interdiction beyond eating up attackers pursuit bonus. Which is rare I think. Maybe it could be used to prevent offensive reserves from reaching the area?

Or, if the FWA player accidentally enters a hex with a VC regiment, thinking it was a battalion, and has not applied interdiction for some reason, defensive interdiction might be useful?

If there already was 1 point of offensive interdiction, could the defender fire 4 more artillery there to upgrade it to a 2 point interdiction, btw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petrip wrote:
If there already was 1 point of offensive interdiction, could the defender fire 4 more artillery there to upgrade it to a 2 point interdiction, btw?

Hmmmm... I don't see why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thought so too. Should be extra rare in practice. Attacker misjudging VC target + not interdicting properly + defender opting to interdict more .. to keep the disadvantaged attacker from escaping after the attacker somehow gets enough positive bonus to retreat by pursuit. (With a positive bonus, the attacker would not retreat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
petrip wrote:

Thought so too. Should be extra rare in practice. Attacker misjudging VC target + not interdicting properly + defender opting to interdict more .. to keep the disadvantaged attacker from escaping after the attacker somehow gets enough positive bonus to retreat by pursuit. (With a positive bonus, the attacker would not retreat).

Heh, not me. If you're (VC) not going anywhere, I'm bringing in Offensive Reserves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

However, the massive defensive interdiction from VC would stop your offensive reserves in their tracks! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Erik used defensive interdiction quite effectively in our "2nd Clash" game, during the final NVA invasion. Sometimes I had to stack up mechanized units to get the odds I wanted for the attack. Erik would interdict the spearhead and if I rolled low on the CRT my units would be stuck there and provide nice fat target for U.S. air. Of course, when you have 150 artillery support points to defend every attack it is easy to sprinkle defensive interdiction markers around like confetti.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.