Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an interesting conversation last night regarding support (from air, artillery, etc.) and range.

When allocating support during an operation for, say Interdiction, do you declare which units (for artillery) are providing that interdiction? The reason I ask is that, in many cases, that determines the direction a VC unit might go after the Alert roll, i.e., choose the path where the artillery's already fired, and any remaining artillery doesn't have range. Obviously, this is moot with air points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes. The support has to come from somewhere. But it should be possible to split it, I guess. "1 point from this, 2 points from that".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Petri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
petrip wrote:

Yes. The support has to come from somewhere. But it should be possible to split it, I guess. "1 point from this, 2 points from that".

Which is what we do. I guess my question really was do you play it the way I described, which is basically tracking where each point of support was fired from, or do you play differently?

That is, for example, do you just pool the support points available together and just use them during the operation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toadkillerdog wrote:
petrip wrote:

Which is what we do. I guess my question really was do you play it the way I described, which is basically tracking where each point of support was fired from, or do you play differently?

That is, for example, do you just pool the support points available together and just use them during the operation

Track every point. Edit: which makes air more desirable than it would otherwise be, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep track of where they come from, because during alert, the VC may move out of range of some. I'll map the most likely route of retreat and use arty first for interdiction from those who would not be able to reach the easiest route out. I never pool it.

Air is always last.

Edit: Crosspost! I guess I am learning the game well. I'm getting the details that Petri gets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way we play also. We were just discussing that it wasn't really stated in the rules that it's the way to do it. One of those items which could stand clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the "hunting the Vietcong" article in Victory insider #5 (there's a copy in the files section here)

It shows how the artillery points for interdiction come from specific units (page 7, 2nd paragraph).

The final page also discusses the need to use airmobile points to move an artillery unit into range for later rounds of combat, if the pursuit result is high enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as I said, that's how we play. I was just curious if anyone else played differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're using Vassal, the pursuit markers come in handy to indicate how many points each artillery unit has used or has left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.