Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
This game costs either $5.95 for the off-the-shelf product or $2.00 for the PDF download. I have a good printer and paper cutter so I purchased the download. It is well worth $2.00 in my opinion.

The game is rather quick and easy to learn. It also has a bit more complexity and strategic balance then I expected. For example, the choice between knocking off an opponents leg or arm is interesting. Knocking off a leg will slow an opponent down but knocking off his arms will render him less threatening and less capable to care for himself.

The theme and artwork makes me grin avery time I think about it. the first game we played, my son picked on me without mercy and I was seriously handicapped and behind in the race. I wanted to "Drain a Brain" (pick a brain out of a helpless human) to boost my speed to catch up but I couldn't because I had no arms left. My son ended up winning because every attempt but one that I made to disable him he thwarted with defensive cards and the failed attempts just left be further back. It was not a completely lost cause though because I was able to trip my wife at the end and cross the finish line in second place. The thought of these zombies lumbering along, knocking each others limbs off and knocking each other down to win a race is wonderfully silly.

It certainly isn't as deep and interesting as some other games and the production value is modest but it fits a particular place in my collection very well. If you like mildly thoughtful and light card games and you have a taste for the absurd, this game is a winner.

Lastly, we found that poker chips work very well as a replacement for the pen and paper scoring method suggested by the publisher. Just give each player four chips to represent their zombie's arms and legs and a stack of chips to represent their number of steps left in the race. Then take chips away from your stack and you proceed in the race. Keep the race stacks next to each other to easily track where you are in relation to the other zombies. The first to run out of chips in there race stack is the winner. This seems much better to me then trying to track the needed info on paper.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I'll agree that there are better ways to keep score. Realizing that the price makes it an ultra-budget title, i still think a nice foldout paper board with 30 spaces on it (possibly some funny/scary ghoulish graphics) would have gone a ways to fleshing out (pun intended) the game. And possibly different card-sized representations of the zombie racers themselves, with marker spots on each limb so that players could keep track with chips, or pennies, or whatever. The game does seem to be crying out for such point-of-interest accoutrements, given that half of the cards are simple, generic "Step 1", "Step 2", "Kick", "Dodge" sorta cards that kinda contribute to the yawn-factor. But it is entertaining in a light-duty sort of way, and the more players involved the more entertaining it gets. 2-player ends up kinda dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cason
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The game is really funny and can be played with as long as 100 laps all the way down to 10-15. I would rate this about a 6-8 for funny and fun time waster. I want to play the game with you more often and hope we can get people to play and like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Loper
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it. It was fun to make.

I've had other people (at conventions and such) mention that a "board" to play on would be a good idea. We wanted to keep the printed version of the game small and inexpensive, so we figured people could keep track on scratch paper. However, I've been working on a free PDF that will have a board with 30 steps and some "character sheets" to keep track of arms and legs. The layout is done, I'm just working on the artwork. Finding your posts will spur me to work to finish the project, and then I'll post here and let you all know.

Thanks, and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.