5 Posts

Tragedy Looper» Forums » Variants

Subject: [Variant on table talk rules] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Variant [+] Rules [+] [View All]
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Disclaimer: I haven't played yet, but intend to very soon (as MM).

The rules appear to give you free choice to either implement a table talk rule where the protagonists can only discuss strategy and theorems between loops or to freely allow discussion.

Although I'm keen to allow free table talk during the first 1 or 2 scripts..(depending how it goes) the idea that the protagonists have some difficulty co-ordinating their action cards seems to me like an interesting feature, but perhaps too harsh on the players in its original form.

To those who have played before, does it seem like a fair compromise to allow table talk at the end of each day?
This would make thematic sense.. i.e. the protagonists meet up and confer each night. They can plan their moves a day at a time, but the important point is they have to strategise BEFORE the mastermind plays his three cards. Between the mastermind playing his cards and until the protagonist leader has used their goodwill abilities, there is no table talk.

Good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played it once (first script) and I allowed table talk during the game EXCEPT during the phase of playing cards.

When the protagonists play their cards they are not allowed to communicate which card they are playing. Otherwise it will spoil the effect when 2 "Forbid Intrigue"-cards are played on the same day.

Table talk between days or loops is always acceptable.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ithink the normal rules is that players can talk between loops. That is what we do anyway, it works very well.

With full talk on,m the game gets a little ap prone and an alpha player can dictate a bit much. It is more fun if the players talk less but then maybe have one additional loop to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We often play the way you suggested, especially with new players, and find the game is still fun, so go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Mike
msg tools
mb
Tawn wrote:

To those who have played before, does it seem like a fair compromise to allow table talk at the end of each day?

When I finally get a group that is ready for non-First Steps scripts, I plan to allow talk during the Morning phase. Flavor is they plan in the morning then split up to carry out the plan. It also gives the morning phase a purpose instead of wasting space on the data board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.