The Voyages of Marco Polo» Forums » General

Subject: Extending the game's round. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I bought it, this game has become our family's favorite. Even my wife, who is not too keen on playing board game, is enjoying playing Marco Polo. She even complained on several occasion that "the game is too short!" and suggested that we play for another turn. whistle

Is there any thought on extending the game for another round or two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Since I bought it, this game has become our family's favorite. Even my wife, who is not too keen on playing board game, is enjoying playing Marco Polo. She even complained on several occasion that "the game is too short!" and suggested that we play for another turn. whistle

The game comes with pletty of extra tiles and so we always play 6 rounds. We love it We stack the tiles just under the contract row in piles of 6 high. Flip one over each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Esvath wrote:

Maybe I am in the minority, but extending the game by even 1 more round would completely ruin the game. Being able to place all of your trading posts becomes way too easy, defeating the purpose of working hard to get their benefit during the regular 5 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feldfan2014 wrote:
Esvath wrote:

Maybe I am in the minority, but extending the game by even 1 more round would completely ruin the game. Being able to place all of your trading posts becomes way too easy, defeating the purpose of working hard to get their benefit during the regular 5 rounds.

In a competitive environment where each player is trying to play optimally, I agree that it would throw off the balance of the game ... both in route building and contract completion. I think OP is talking about casual play with family, though, and In that instance, I think an extra round can't hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
During the development after the game went to a fixed number of turns the game had six turns. However reducing the number of turns to five helped the tension of the game significantly. With six turns most players get all 9 settlements placed, whereas five turns puts stress on you and into the dilemma to select priorities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players, including myself have had the feeling that the game ends too quickly. "Oh, it ends already now and I have achieved nothing!" The ending comes as a surprise for new players quite often and that's why I occasionally remind the players how many rounds are left in the game.

Like mentioned before, the beauty of the game comes from the fact that you need to do so many things with so few turns. You need to plan far ahead and know what are the best things you can do during five rounds of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply!

I guess in a competitive play, extending the round can reduce the competitiveness of the game.

How about blocking some of the spaces to maintain the tension? A dummy system like Dungeon Petz's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am afraid blocking some spaces might unbalance the characters. We had loads of testing and tweaking of these. I am no way sure what blocking of spaces might do there. And the question remains: Which space(s) should be blocked ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.