Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent business trip to Germany I ate a lt of McDonalds and instead bought a bunch of board games.

Cuba was one of them. My wife and I played over the weekend and were incredibly disappointed (we are big Santiago fans and were hoping this would be a longer heavier version). I am hoping we got some rules wrong and that's why it seemed to drag and was uninteresting.

Upon review the only thing I think we could have got wrong was buildings. We put the ones that were on the board on the board and randomly arranged the rest. We only allowed you to buy a building that was on the board, and only put new ones from the row onto the board. Several rows just sat there because although we may have wanted a later building we were not about to waste a turn buying a building we didn't want for the potential of one we wanted later. Is this right? Should every piece be avaiBle to buy all the time? Something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything is available to buy all of the time. I'm curious what gave you the impression otherwise. Was it just the board art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is misleading that way.

You are allowed to buy any building if you can pay for it and have a place to play it on your player board. I haven't played for a while but I don't think there are even any contingent buildings.

The constraints that you were under would really preclude using your buildings strategically to build an engine. This is one of the core ideas of the game, significant enough that I would say you have not yet played the game. The game can drag a bit when you don't yet know the buildings but it is fun. I don't think you will ultimately be dissapointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can build any building at all when you play the architect. The text for the architect in my rulebook (p8) reads: "If you play this card, you may choose one building from the stock (gameboard or next to it)" ...

The layout of buildings next to the board doesn't matter, since all buildings are available at all times, as the rulebook suggests in a few different ways. I can see that it might not be 100% explicit that any building is available, however there are no restrictions indicated, and comments in other threads here indicate that's the accepted rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
notclive wrote:
You can build any building at all when you play the architect. The text for the architect in my rulebook (p8) reads: "If you play this card, you may choose one building from the stock (gameboard or next to it)" ...

The layout of buildings next to the board doesn't matter, since all buildings are available at all times, as the rulebook suggests in a few different ways. I can see that it might not be 100% explicit that any building is available, however there are no restrictions indicated, and comments in other threads here indicate that's the accepted rule.
For whatever good that did (I never really got any feedback), I arranged the buildings in groups of similarity. For example, buildings that produce resources/products/goods, buildings that give you $$, those that get you VP, misc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:

I agree - very much so.

I hope the OP gives it another try - Cuba is one of my favorites and doesn't hit the table nearly enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim fulner
United States
Berkley
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the rules talk about being able to purchase any "available building" but never to finding what is meaning of available as such to having to make sense what we did and if what you guys are saying is accurate having the pictures on the game board only does not make any sense to do the photos they're mean anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
rrodrick wrote:

I agree - very much so.

I hope the OP gives it another try - Cuba is one of my favorites and doesn't hit the table nearly enough for me.

+1

I honestly don't know why the bothered with the spots on the board at all, and then the doubled down the confusion by depicting actual specific tiles?!?!?

You should retry it, this game is a fun puzzle figuring out the engine building strategies, and the laws changing each round is a nice little mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilles Last Stand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
lukerazor wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
rrodrick wrote:

I agree - very much so.

+1

I honestly don't know why the bothered with the spots on the board at all, and then the doubled down the confusion by depicting actual specific tiles?!?!?

You should retry it, this game is a fun puzzle figuring out the engine building strategies, and the laws changing each round is a nice little mechanic.

and another +1, it remains my favorite euro many years after my first play and does not see the table enough.

the rules are not written particularly well but they may be a translation. I usually come to the geek when buying a new game; i read the rules, pen some notes, and see if others have experienced the similar rules confusion. This site and the site of the game itself are typically great reference points for rules elaboration/errata.

final point: this is not a good two player game, not even a good three player game. you need four minimum and if playing with five, I'd highly recommend the el presidente expansion. It's one of the few expansions out there that wonderfully compliments the base game and arguably should've been present from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.