Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: My table build. "The Archon" [WIP Thread] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] furniture [+] [View All]
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This project is now completed. Here is the Completed thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1437713/archon-gaming-t...

Hey guys!

I've been working on my first proper table build and I'm roughly halfway through it. SO I thought I'd post some pictures!

My base feature set was lovingly borrowed from the Vizier. I LOVE the flip down desks on that table for RPGs, so that's what I've done.

The interior vault is roughly 4x5, with the entire table roughly 5x6 without the desks flipped out.

The vast majority of the table is made of Maple, with a concession being made for cost when it will come to the base of the vault (a single piece of 4x5 Maple would be crazyballs expensive), so I'm using ply for that.

A total of 7 desks. Two desks on each side, save for one short side which has the larger "GM desk".

I'm planning for the vault to be about 3 inches deep, and the cover will be made from multiple Maple leaves.

It is POSSIBLE to take the legs off for transportation...but you will never ever ever ever want to

Here are some progress shots!









16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Cool...

in your estimate, what is that weighing in without the top or finish work?

Does it disassemble for transport?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
darthhugo wrote:
Cool...

in your estimate, what is that weighing in without the top or finish work?

Does it disassemble for transport?


I would bet that table will weigh over 150 lbs. when finished; probably more! Easy!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Propati
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Great job mate! Maple, it's beautiful wood! Nice choice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Great job so far! I can't wait to see the finished product! The wife and I are trying to figure out how to build a table as well so it always cool to see different ideas!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Beautiful work and I love the flip down desks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
darthhugo wrote:
Cool...

in your estimate, what is that weighing in without the top or finish work?

Does it disassemble for transport?


The legs unbolt and slide out for transport. Its a 2-4 person job to move though. I designed it to sit in one place for a long long time. In exchange, there is no way you'll flip or tip this thing, and it will outlive my grandchildren.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?


Not 100% sure yet. I started a little high because I wasnt super sure about leg room given the sheer thickness of the deck. I'm taking one of the chairs I'll be using out to the workshop tonight and see what I can come up with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?


Not 100% sure yet. I started a little high because I wasnt super sure about leg room given the sheer thickness of the deck. I'm taking one of the chairs I'll be using out to the workshop tonight and see what I can come up with.
You will have two numbers to deal with. You want 25" to 26" of leg room under the table and about 30" for the table top. These are just recommendations and seeing as you have already built the "vault", you will most likely have to adhere to the 25" leg room and live with how ever tall the table top ends up being.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?


Not 100% sure yet. I started a little high because I wasnt super sure about leg room given the sheer thickness of the deck. I'm taking one of the chairs I'll be using out to the workshop tonight and see what I can come up with.
You will have two numbers to deal with. You want 25" to 26" of leg room under the table and about 30" for the table top. These are just recommendations and seeing as you have already built the "vault", you will most likely have to adhere to the 25" leg room and live with how ever tall the table top ends up being.


Are you saying ~5 inches for the entire depth of the table deck, or just from the floor of the fault to the top of the deck?

Right now the legs are 28 inches (easy enough to trim down), but the table deck is 9 inches total. I'm going to float the vault floor 3 inches from where the lid will sit. So after I trim the legs, it will be about 31 inches from the vault floor surface to the ground, but about 35 inches from the top of the vault lid to the ground.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?


Not 100% sure yet. I started a little high because I wasnt super sure about leg room given the sheer thickness of the deck. I'm taking one of the chairs I'll be using out to the workshop tonight and see what I can come up with.
You will have two numbers to deal with. You want 25" to 26" of leg room under the table and about 30" for the table top. These are just recommendations and seeing as you have already built the "vault", you will most likely have to adhere to the 25" leg room and live with how ever tall the table top ends up being.


Are you saying ~5 inches for the entire depth of the table deck, or just from the floor of the fault to the top of the deck?

Right now the legs are 28 inches (easy enough to trim down), but the table deck is 9 inches total. I'm going to float the vault floor 3 inches from where the lid will sit. So after I trim the legs, it will be about 31 inches from the vault floor surface to the ground, but about 35 inches from the top of the vault lid to the ground.
For a height of 30" and leg room of 25", yes a width of 5" is required. In your situation with a 9" thick table, you will have to give yourself 25" of leg room otherwise you will never fit your legs under with a normal chair. This will result in a table height of 34" which is a bit high. You might be fine with it or you may find yourself uncomfortable after sitting at it for an hour.

To get an idea of what I am talking about, rig up two boards where one is set at 25" and the other at 34" and pull a chair up to it and see how it feels. Test before implementation!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
That looks great!

How tall will the table be after you are done?


Not 100% sure yet. I started a little high because I wasnt super sure about leg room given the sheer thickness of the deck. I'm taking one of the chairs I'll be using out to the workshop tonight and see what I can come up with.
You will have two numbers to deal with. You want 25" to 26" of leg room under the table and about 30" for the table top. These are just recommendations and seeing as you have already built the "vault", you will most likely have to adhere to the 25" leg room and live with how ever tall the table top ends up being.


Are you saying ~5 inches for the entire depth of the table deck, or just from the floor of the fault to the top of the deck?

Right now the legs are 28 inches (easy enough to trim down), but the table deck is 9 inches total. I'm going to float the vault floor 3 inches from where the lid will sit. So after I trim the legs, it will be about 31 inches from the vault floor surface to the ground, but about 35 inches from the top of the vault lid to the ground.
For a height of 30" and leg room of 25", yes a width of 5" is required. In your situation with a 9" thick table, you will have to give yourself 25" of leg room otherwise you will never fit your legs under with a normal chair. This will result in a table height of 34" which is a bit high. You might be fine with it or you may find yourself uncomfortable after sitting at it for an hour.

To get an idea of what I am talking about, rig up two boards where one is set at 25" and the other at 34" and pull a chair up to it and see how it feels. Test before implementation!


With a 5 inch deck, wouldn't the shelf depth be... inadequate?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
...
With a 5 inch deck, wouldn't the shelf depth be... inadequate?
That depends on what you plan on using the shelf for. In my table design (see this thread: Wade Through My Babble about Designing and Building a Games Table) you can see that I have a 5" thick table so I get the 25" leg clearance and 30" table height for comfort. I tried 31" and 32" out using clamped boards but it didn't feel as nice to sit at so I made everything fit within 5".

My shelves are there for whatever means (most people use them for food) so I didn't need a big shelf. Just large enough to hold a 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper or most books. If you read through my whole thread you will see that I have changed it dramatically from the start to the end based on room dimensions, 4 corner legs to a pedestal all from suggestions from other users. It inspired me to collect all that information and create a collection of threads for people to reference when designing their own. Check it out here: Game Table Design Series: Index.

In the end, it is your table so make it to suit your needs! Just try it out before cutting so you know it will be comfortable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
...
With a 5 inch deck, wouldn't the shelf depth be... inadequate?
That depends on what you plan on using the shelf for. In my table design (see this thread: Wade Through My Babble about Designing and Building a Games Table) you can see that I have a 5" thick table so I get the 25" leg clearance and 30" table height for comfort. I tried 31" and 32" out using clamped boards but it didn't feel as nice to sit at so I made everything fit within 5".

My shelves are there for whatever means (most people use them for food) so I didn't need a big shelf. Just large enough to hold a 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper or most books. If you read through my whole thread you will see that I have changed it dramatically from the start to the end based on room dimensions, 4 corner legs to a pedestal all from suggestions from other users. It inspired me to collect all that information and create a collection of threads for people to reference when designing their own. Check it out here: Game Table Design Series: Index.

In the end, it is your table so make it to suit your needs! Just try it out before cutting so you know it will be comfortable.


My group is heavy on pen and paper rpgs, so our desks hold books, character sheets, dice pools, etc. So I went for more desk real estate
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
...
With a 5 inch deck, wouldn't the shelf depth be... inadequate?
That depends on what you plan on using the shelf for. In my table design (see this thread: Wade Through My Babble about Designing and Building a Games Table) you can see that I have a 5" thick table so I get the 25" leg clearance and 30" table height for comfort. I tried 31" and 32" out using clamped boards but it didn't feel as nice to sit at so I made everything fit within 5".

My shelves are there for whatever means (most people use them for food) so I didn't need a big shelf. Just large enough to hold a 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper or most books. If you read through my whole thread you will see that I have changed it dramatically from the start to the end based on room dimensions, 4 corner legs to a pedestal all from suggestions from other users. It inspired me to collect all that information and create a collection of threads for people to reference when designing their own. Check it out here: Game Table Design Series: Index.

In the end, it is your table so make it to suit your needs! Just try it out before cutting so you know it will be comfortable.


My group is heavy on pen and paper rpgs, so our desks hold books, character sheets, dice pools, etc. So I went for more desk real estate
Real estate is supplied by the shelf width and depth (not height). Table thickness only gives you a bit more privacy as the shelf will have higher edges.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Nice job.

I've been considering building one. Does anyone know a ballpark cost if you built your own table such as this, or even without drawers or desks, however with a recessed playing area like a geek chic and with felt lining the Playing surface?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
mike6423 wrote:
Nice job.

I've been considering building one. Does anyone know a ballpark cost if you built your own table such as this, or even without drawers or desks, however with a recessed playing area like a geek chic and with felt lining the Playing surface?


Wood choice is paramount to that answer. At the end of the day, I'm using 1200-1500 US in maple.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
mike6423 wrote:
Nice job.

I've been considering building one. Does anyone know a ballpark cost if you built your own table such as this, or even without drawers or desks, however with a recessed playing area like a geek chic and with felt lining the Playing surface?


Wood choice is paramount to that answer. At the end of the day, I'm using 1200-1500 US in maple.
Are you buying from Home Depot or from a speciality lumber shop? If you have a jointer and planer the rough wood will cost you half of what you pay at Home Depot. It will just take you twice as long to prepare it as you will need to plane it to the proper thickness’s you want. If you don't have these tools then the wood will be expensive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Kaiyoot wrote:
Archon_Turtle wrote:
mike6423 wrote:
Nice job.

I've been considering building one. Does anyone know a ballpark cost if you built your own table such as this, or even without drawers or desks, however with a recessed playing area like a geek chic and with felt lining the Playing surface?


Wood choice is paramount to that answer. At the end of the day, I'm using 1200-1500 US in maple.
Are you buying from Home Depot or from a speciality lumber shop? If you have a jointer and planer the rough wood will cost you half of what you pay at Home Depot. It will just take you twice as long to prepare it as you will need to plane it to the proper thickness’s you want. If you don't have these tools then the wood will be expensive.


I used a local lumber yard. They did the planing though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
mike6423 wrote:
Nice job.

I've been considering building one. Does anyone know a ballpark cost if you built your own table such as this, or even without drawers or desks, however with a recessed playing area like a geek chic and with felt lining the Playing surface?
Check out the tables other BGG members have built as some of them are quite simple and very affordable.
Game Table Design Series: Completed BGG Game Tables
Braden's table comes to mind as being simple and very affordable.
Game Table Project with Step-By-Step
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Curse you Darren, you have me a little concerned about the deck height. But man, I gotta say, I keep looking at shots of the Vizier (which, as stated earlier, this table is designed as a simplified version of) and I can't stop thinking that their deck and my deck are the same (or extremely similar) thickness...





So I THINK with the shortening of the legs, I'm going to be ok with the 9 inch deck. Not to say your suggestions arent totally on point, they are. Just that I cant imagine that the 9 inch deck is problematic if thats what is being used in the production tables.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Decided on these pulls for the false walls that are going around the sides of the deck:

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Archon_Turtle wrote:
Curse you Darren, you have me a little concerned about the deck height. But man, I gotta say, I keep looking at shots of the Vizier (which, as stated earlier, this table is designed as a simplified version of) and I can't stop thinking that their deck and my deck are the same (or extremely similar) thickness...





So I THINK with the shortening of the legs, I'm going to be ok with the 9 inch deck. Not to say your suggestions arent totally on point, they are. Just that I cant imagine that the 9 inch deck is problematic if thats what is being used in the production tables.
You have nothing to worry about ever since you said RPG'ing. The big difference between you and me are the games we play. I'm a board/card/dice player who spends his whole time leaning over the play field analyzing the board for the best move. You say you play mostly pen/paper RPG's which has you sitting at a desk scribbling things down. Two totally different play styles. While your table may not end up being the most comfortable for playing board games for hours at a time, that is fine as your usage is to play RPG's. I imagine my fold out shelves will be used to hold food and maybe the occasional game of Alchemists or Keyflower and any future game I get where having some personal private space is important to the game. So stop worrying and enjoy!

I still stress the fact you need to rig it up to see how it feels before you cut the table legs. You don't need to rig any boards as your table is 80% finished. Instead, rig the chair with some sheets of plywood to give you an apparent height of 25" of clearance under your table right now and sit at it and do what you plan on doing (RPG'ing) to see how it feels. As you mentioned, GeekChiq made the Vizier for someone so the higher table height must be ok for some sort of playing - RPG'ing is probably it.

In fact, after you finish your table and use it a bunch you are going to contact me and tell me how well it works for RPG'ing. If it works out as well as you hoped, I will update my Table height section in my Game Table Design Series to mention that these thicker tables at higher heights are popular with RPG'ers (sample size of 1 lol). The key element is the leg room (and consistent between any table I imagine). Go with 25" or 26" - whatever feels best.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Reese
United States
South pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My table build. "The Archon"
Keeping in mind that we havent routed anything yet (just about every edge is going to get routed), we finished the corners today:



We cut the false panels (these will also get routed and these are what the octopus hardward above is for). These will be held with embedded magnets:



Lastly, I wanted something a little special to christen the table with when it's finished, so I finally picked up a copy of this (I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on a copy for quite some time):


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.