1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Dont put those wave 1 modles together yet!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zombie Marcs
msg tools
mb
Hey fellow backers!! just wanted to remind you guys that you may want to "instamold" a couple of those unique face bases that are coming in Wave 1, so you can make custom base's for future KD stuff!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One step ahead of you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by 'instamold'? Not familiar with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.walmart.com/ip/32834187?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=222...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So once we make a mold, what material do we use to make more face bases in the mold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there recently a discussion in the KS comment feed about how awful those Chinese pirates were for selling recast Kingdom Death sculpts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
bastimret wrote:
So once we make a mold, what material do we use to make more face bases in the mold?

More green stuff! It's also called press molding. It's cheap and with a little practice gets good results. As a bonus, as long as you don't try to sell anything you're perfectly legal to make copies of what you want. Google "green stuff press mold" and you should find a bunch of descriptions, how to's and videos.

Or you could go crazy and make a silicone mold and cast resin or plaster, but it would probably just be cheaper to buy more bases at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one am all for people kit-bashing their own stuff however they want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
But the amount of green stuff to would take for each insert, seems like it would be cheaper to just buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
LL6869 wrote:

This isn't kit bashing. It's kit counterfeiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevertellmetheodds wrote:

If you were trying to sell these, pass them off as the original item in a sanctioned tournament or using them anywhere other than in your own house, I would be more swayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
LL6869 wrote:

You're trying to use the word "counterfeit" to convey immoral behavior and this is not.

If you scan and print a COPY of a page from a book or magazine with copyright or trademarked material for your own private use is that counterfeiting too?

Sell a copy to a friend or sell them on ebay and I agree you've crossed a line, but for use in your own kitbashing at home is legally and ethically just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwwin wrote:
If you scan and print a COPY of a page from a book or magazine with copyright or trademarked material for your own private use is that counterfeiting too?

Yes, it technically is. I've worked in an office that printed college course packs (booklets of photocopied course material), most of the contents of which are photocopied excerpts of books that we had to pay to have the permission to reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
To counterfeit means to imitate something. Counterfeit products are fake replicas of the real product. Counterfeit products are often produced with the intent to take advantage of the superior value of the imitated product. The word counterfeit frequently describes both the forgeries of currency and documents, as well as the imitations of clothing, handbags, shoes, pharmaceuticals, aviation and automobile parts, watches, electronics (both parts and finished products), software, works of art, toys, movies.

Wikipedia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
rwwin wrote:

Yes, it technically is. I've worked in an office that printed college course packs (booklets of photocopied course material), most of the contents of which are photocopied excerpts of books that we had to pay to have the permission to reprint.

Because you were copying things for dissemination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
But the amount of green stuff to would take for each insert, seems like it would be cheaper to just buy them.

At $1 a piece it would probably be a wash at best. In terms of a $400 game it's not going to save you any real money.

For me the appeal wouldn't be making exact copies but modified versions. Deleting some faces or having some damaged faces to give bases a little extra character. That would be easier to do with a press mold than hacking apart one of the plastic bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
rwwin wrote:
LL6869 wrote:

You're trying to use the word "counterfeit" to convey immoral behavior and this is not.

Sell a copy to a friend or sell them on ebay and I agree you've crossed a line, but for use in your own kitbashing at home is legally and ethically just fine.

Yes it is, that's why companies will add that little "permission to copy for personal use" line when it ones to character sheets etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:
rwwin wrote:

Because you were copying things for dissemination.

A work was reproduced to sate the demand of consumers. This is no different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
poeticallybored wrote:

I'm not talking technicalities. Call it whatever you want, but your insinuation that people who want to make a press mold are doing something bad or illegal is your opinion not a fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is, that's why companies will add that little "permission to copy for personal use" line when it ones to character sheets etc.

This is a Jason level fight and I am out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
rwwin wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:

I'm not talking technicalities. Call it whatever you want, but your insinuation that people who want to make a press mold are doing something bad is your opinion not a fact.

No, it's a fact, if you want to try and make an excuse for copying someone else's hard work fine, you can lie to yourself, just don't expect everyone else to swallow that lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rwwin wrote:
poeticallybored wrote:

I'm not talking technicalities. Call it whatever you want, but your insinuation that people who want to make a press mold are doing something bad is your opinion not a fact.

I've made no mention of bad or good, just that it is undeniably counterfeiting. Maybe you're projecting some guilt onto the facts. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
LL6869 wrote:

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean you can't argue with the truth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wingate
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
No, it's your opinion that it's counterfeiting, by assuming intent and motivation to profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:

I'm not sure what that means, does it mean you can't argue with the truth?

It means that using a personal model for a personal project to create a transformative work of art for personal exhibition with no intention of generating a profit is in fact not copyright infringement.

Yes, this is America and you could sue over it. But unless you're Disney you're probably not going to win.

Morally using your own materials to create art for your own enjoyment is for me fine. Your own value judgement is your own but you're not arguing facts, you're arguing Truth. Truth with a capital T which is your interpretation of facts, which is of course the Truth.

A guy named Jason tried to argue that any reproduction of the KD rules charts was copyright infringement on the KD Kickstarter comment section, even when he was proven factually wrong. So therefor a Jason level argue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.