United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Holiday Inn Atlanta Perimeter
4386 Chamblee-Dunwoody Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30341

The Atlanta Game Fest is a chance for boardgame fans from across the Southeast to gather for four days of fun and games. There will be hundreds of the world's best boardgames available for play as well as friendly folks who can help with the rules.

Memberships for all four days are $45 each, $80 per couple and $90 per family. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. You can also pay for your membership at the door -- please email Ward your name for a badge.

Hope to see you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered! I plan on bringing Ashes, so if anyone is interested in playing there that'd be great. If you have any interest in playing before Game Fest, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A link for those that want a fancy website to visit: http://www.atlantagamefest.com/

Ward: What do the memberships go to pay for? Is it primarily rental/reservation of the facility? Just curious, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Mostly, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this be a good venue to trap people in to playing old games that no one else likes with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dang, wish we could go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
Would this be a good venue to trap people in to playing old games that no one else likes with me?

How old you talking?

Caylus old?
Cosmic Encounter old?
Acquire old?

I could go for all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:

How old you talking?

Caylus old?
Cosmic Encounter old?
Acquire old?

My God man! I said old. You went all the way back to the Dark Ages!! Seriously though, I was mostly referring to my desire to play Dominant Species all day erryday. I could consider potentially thinking about playing something else though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
alandric wrote:
dang, wish we could go!

The next one will be in January
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peace
United States
Villa Rica
Georgia
flag msg tools
Rolling for Change Podcast
badge
"I'm not screwed. I'm beyond screwed. Screwed is sitting across the room, waving at me, and saying, 'Hi! Glad I'm not you!'"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:

How old you talking?

Caylus old?
Cosmic Encounter old?
Acquire old?

My God man! I said old. You went all the way back to the Dark Ages!! Seriously though, I was mostly referring to my desire to play Dominant Species all day erryday. I could consider potentially thinking about playing something else though.

I could be down with some Dominant Species action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people do you expect for this? Is hotel rental included in the fee, or is that extra?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
How many people do you expect for this? Is hotel rental included in the fee, or is that extra?

I'm expecting 200-250. I'm not sure what you mean but guest rooms at the hotel costs extra, although we do have a very favorable room rate.

http://atlantagamefest.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games I'd love to try out are Blood Rage, Francis Drake, The Grizzled,Voyages of Marco Polo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubaldo Bastardo
United States
Nonantum
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally signed up. Is there some protocol for arranging games with people? Do I just solicit people and roll a dexterity check? How does it all work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
I've finally signed up. Is there some protocol for arranging games with people? Do I just solicit people and roll a dexterity check? How does it all work?

People looking for games will be standing up around the games for play. People are usually very friendly and actively try to include anyone who is looking for a game. Part of the reason I don't advertise the Game Fests is we get a great group of very friendly and inclusive folks and I don't want to mess that up. The Game Fests are open events that feel like invitationals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Just a reminder that if you haven't sent me your name for a pre-printed badge the deadline is 6pm today. Hope to see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wardo wrote:
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:

People looking for games will be standing up around the games for play. People are usually very friendly and actively try to include anyone who is looking for a game. Part of the reason I don't advertise the Game Fests is we get a great group of very friendly and inclusive folks and I don't want to mess that up. The Game Fests are open events that feel like invitationals.

Well, they are generally open and friendly, but I've also noticed that many of the people who attend know each other well, which makes it really difficult for new people to join in. Also, standing around the games rack IS a way to start a game, but I normally find that it can devolve into "Wanna play Dominant Species??? Oh...you like Takenoko..."

At Euroquest in Baltimore, there were some ways to ensure games happened more quickly and easily, including pre-determined time slots, public announcements that games were starting (usually for more difficult/longer games, not light games, or game sessions especially aimed at newbies) and "table stands" you could put up to show you were recruiting. (They were high enough so that folks could scan the room and see the various boxtops easily.)

I love all that you do and have done for these events Ward--I've been to a half dozen or so--but I'd like a bit more structure, especially since events like these are one of the few times one has a decent chance to play the "heavy hitters." So I'll start

NEW SUBTHREAD HERE:
What you'd like to play (put a * by anything you really want to play/try)
When you hope to attend (days, times)
Anything else you think is relevant (???)

Me: *Archipelago, *Antiquity, Belfort, *Captains of Industry, *Container, *Dominant Species, *Duck Dealer, Dungeon Lords, Eclipse, *Fire in the Lake, *Indonesia, *Greed (Splotter Spellen version), Moongha Invaders, Tzolkin, Washington's War

Especially interested in Archipelago, which I am beginning to think is an unrecognized masterpiece. We had a BLAST playing it a few weeks ago.

Attendance: Dependent on interest. Can be there generally by 10 AM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bpeace wrote:
Ubaldo Bastardo wrote:
[q="hestiansun"][q="Ubaldo Bastardo"]Would this be a good venue to trap people in to playing old games that no one else likes with me?

I could be down with some Dominant Species action.

Let's set up a Dominant time slot. What works for you guys? I'm Friday or Saturday mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
I agree that if you are looking for a specific game, especially a longer one, my method is not the best. I'd be happy to add sign up sheets or a message board of some sort either at registration or near the games for play. I don't do tournaments and much else in the way of scheduled events st Game Fests because I want it to be about open gaming, and I've been to other events where I felt that 70% of folks were having to play shorter games than they would otherwise to accommodate folks who needed to be finished at a specific time for a tournament, but I absolutely want people to be able to get in whatever games they are most interested in. One of the joys of a longer event like this is getting to play longer games than one normally can.

I'll see if I can get a dry erase board that can be set up for such requests/messages. Thanks Troy for the good suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Durham
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife gave me a ticket to this Game Fest as a birthday present, and I'm super excited to attend! I expect to initially arrive on Saturday morning. Will there be someone available to get me set up with my badge at that point? If so, is there a time I can expect this person(s) to be available?

Also, to Troy W's point:

Games I'd love to learn: *Cthulu Wars, *Arkham Horror, Dungeon Petz, Battlecon (War or Fate of Indines), Sentinels of the Multiverse, Claustrophobia, Mage Knight, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Especially interested in Cthulu Wars (possible purchase for me) and Arkham Horror (a friend of mine owns it and needs a teacher)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Batty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Mcstabbity wrote:
My wife gave me a ticket to this Game Fest as a birthday present, and I'm super excited to attend! I expect to initially arrive on Saturday morning. Will there be someone available to get me set up with my badge at that point? If so, is there a time I can expect this person(s) to be available?

Someone should be there starting at 10am. If I'm not there Leon should be manning the registration table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
We are turning up Friday/Saturday. (Thursday is work and Rifftrax Miami Connection. )

I'll bring Cthulhu Wars, Mistfall, and possibly Kingdom Death if there is some interest. And Quartermaster General which is an amazingly awesome and simple game.

One odd question. Does anyone read Kanji? I have a kid's game which should be here Friday about a giant human-faced dog which eats schoolchildren based on some urban legend. It is very, very Japanese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wardo wrote:
I don't do tournaments and much else in the way of scheduled events st Game Fests because I want it to be about open gaming

Hear hear! And for all those reading the thread who haven't been, it is DEFINITELY worth your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mcstabbity wrote:

Also, to Troy W's point:

Games I'd love to learn: Dungeon Petz

I can teach Petz if necessary. It's a fun one. Usually pretty easy to seat four for it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Durham
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wardo wrote:
Mcstabbity wrote:

Someone should be there starting at 10am. If I'm not there Leon should be manning the registration table.

Awesome! I'll plan to arrive a bit before 10:00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.