Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Background
If you remember, I've been attempting to design Flip the Table-based games in my head while I rock my one-year-old daughter to sleep at naps and bedtime. So far, I released a microgame called Professor Laserbooks. My initial though was to release four games based on the four guys that would fit into a single 52-card deck, but I might have to expand that to a few more cards, depending on how efficient I can be with the next two games.

But without further adieu, I give you...

Moderator Chris: A Game About Moderating a Podcast About the Other Side of Board Games

It's an auction/bidding-style game for two-players. It's highly influenced, but hopefully unique from, Reiner Knizia's High Society. It's not quite a microgame like the last one, but it's less than a deck of cards. So, maybe it's a minigame?

You can view the rules and access the download links for the cards at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kwJpT9LQprevRqTtHgMA-jve...

The game features 34 cards and, like last time, there are hi and low-res versions of them to save on your printers. I plan on printing the high-res version at our FedEx Kinkos for a buck or two.

Just like last time, let me know if there are typos, rules errors, or any helpful feedback you can give to help made Moderator Chris: A Game About Moderating a Podcast About the Other Side of Board Games the best game about moderating a podcast about the other side of board games. If you do, you'll reach the peak of internet fame (meaning I'll add your name to the acknowledgements section of the rules Google Doc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'd be cool if you could set these up either at Artscow or Printer Studio for us to more easily purchase. I'm not very good at PnP so usually willing to pay a few extra bucks for those types of services especially since it's usually cheaper since I don't have to buy the supplies.

Also, in your rules, you have the phrase "When increasing your big, you cannot....". I'm guessing you meant "bid" instead of "big".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Devine
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love the artwork!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOMG!!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
It'd be cool if you could set these up either at Artscow or Printer Studio for us to more easily purchase. I'm not very good at PnP so usually willing to pay a few extra bucks for those types of services especially since it's usually cheaper since I don't have to buy the supplies.

My plan is to definitely do something like this, but I want to wait until I've finished the four game series. I released the PDFs just for those who like to do that sort of thing and to show of the artwork.

I have experience using PrinterStudio, so I'll probably do that. I have a couple examples of projects I've printed on my blog at http://drewpdoane.blogspot.com/. I'm really happy with how PrinterStudio cards look, linen finish and all, and designed these cards using my Printerstudio template.

Bruiser419 wrote:
Also, in your rules, you have the phrase "When increasing your big, you cannot....". I'm guessing you meant "bid" instead of "big".

Thanks. I fixed it and you're now officially in the acknowledgements!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hilarious!

Maybe a future expansion can include 10,000 points and a Jack Bauer mechanic because why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3ddevine wrote:

Thanks!

I have absolutely no "real-life" drawing skill, nor can I draw on a computer. I basically can only "sculpt" with vector shapes. It ridiculously limits what I can do, but as long as I try to keep things simple, I can do alright.

I've always been super-jealous of those who can actually draw, such as yourself! So, thanks for the compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haewyr wrote:
Hilarious!

Maybe a future expansion can include 10,000 points and a Jack Bauer mechanic because why not?

This is part of a four game set I'm trying to finish. Since they're all short games, I want to come up with a way to play all four in a row, with a simple, little game at the end being worth 10,000 points, thereby negating everything that came before it.

Some people refer to this at the Quidditch or Battle of Wits theory of game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3ddevine wrote:

+1! The faces are great. Really love the Flip and the Jared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Libby
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sooooo...at the end of this, is there going to be a special FTT episode about all of the FTT games (these four and Gone Flipping)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
villagebear wrote:
Sooooo...at the end of this, is there going to be a special FTT episode about all of the FTT games (these four and Gone Flipping)?

If there was a Flip the Table episode about them, then it must mean they were terrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out the Fancy version at Staples and played with those cards. After doing so, I made a few tweaks to the rules.

Blooper Cards are now bid on just like the rest of the cards. That's because, even though they have a negative value, they count towards sets of three (worth 10 points) and they count towards the most cards of a color (worth 5 points), so bidding not to take them didn't seem to work. Plus, Flip's ability allows you to negate them and Jared's ability allows you to take one from another player and give them yours.

Knizia's High Society had negative cards and a bidding-to-not-take-them mechanism, but they only had a negative effect. They had no possible positive uses, like the Blooper Cards do.

Also, I clarified that face-down Blooper Cards, while their face value is not counted for the score, still count as a color card when counting sets of three or most of a color.

I also added in tie-breakers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CWM
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewpdoane wrote:
villagebear wrote:

If there was a Flip the Table episode about them, then it must mean they were terrible!

The McDonald's Game would like a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CityWithoutMen wrote:
drewpdoane wrote:
villagebear wrote:

The McDonald's Game would like a word.

Yeah, they've had some games on in the past that they wound up concluding that 'this was actually pretty fun' (Even if the technology it was based on is pretty antiquated. And I don't mean VHS tapes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.