Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to ask for input on other players experience within Myth. I would like to create a chart or series of charts to randomly generate the number and types of liars, as well as, hunting parties and their size. I would like to ask people through the kindness of their heart to log number of liars, type of each, hunting party size, number of heroes, average gear color, and win or lose.

The thought is that we could generate tables that could let you roll to determine how many liars to place, how many enemy types, hunting parties, for how many players, and difficulty.

If people like the charts someone with much better photoshop skils could create threat decks similar to shadows of brimstone but my skills as a statistician would be more in trying to balance for player size and difficulty.

Let me know if you like the idea or have a better way to generate the mobs.

-cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
I would like to ask for input on other players experience within Myth. I would like to create a chart or series of charts to randomly generate the number and types of liars, as well as, hunting parties and their size. I would like to ask people through the kindness of their heart to log number of liars, type of each, hunting party size, number of heroes, average gear color, and win or lose.

The thought is that we could generate tables that could let you roll to determine how many liars to place, how many enemy types, hunting parties, for how many players, and difficulty.

If people like the charts someone with much better photoshop skils could create threat decks similar to shadows of brimstone but my skills as a statistician would be more in trying to balance for player size and difficulty.

-cheers

If memory serves me correctly, this exists here on BGG already. Check the file section.

Edit:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112640/lair-spawn-cards

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111341/myth-random-tile-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12from1 wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:

-cheers

If memory serves me correctly, this exists here on BGG already. Check the file section.

Edit:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/112640/lair-spawn-cards

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/111341/myth-random-tile-se...

Nice I did not know that was here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
I like a lot of bits in the tile generation options, but it is a bit confusing at times.

After a few reads I still can't get my head around the TN formulas for difficulty; some examples would really help. Also what happens if it's a 2 player game and all 5 of the d10s are above the TN for lair or pack generation? This seems very likely for a new small group.

The lair and minion generation also is very weighted towards having homogenous dungeons with multiple spawn of the same minion type associated with the boss on each tile. If you are using the Bones deck, you will very likely encounter shamblers and more shamblers every tile with an occasional Soulless. It is very rare that a different minion type would spawn, and if one does, it will probably force that same other type to spawn again on the same tile. This would not only keep tiles rather repetitive, but it would be rare to get multiple AP generation from different monster types.

Then again, some of the formulas still don't quite make sense. The "leveling" by tracking CDi, LD, BM or whatever seems rather fiddly. I like the idea of a generator and one that progresses in difficulty, but this seems too wedded to a complicated campaign system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Edwards
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Wow, this is a blast from the past..

I don't think that I ever uploaded my current rules to BGG, but they are here if you want to look.

Quote:
After a few reads I still can't get my head around the TN formulas for difficulty; some examples would really help.

You will find a much simplified set of 'campaign' rules without all of that fiddly stuff where TN = level - BossModifier. Level being equal to the number of story quests completed (with 3 consecutive free-form Acts counting as a Story Quest) and BossModifier being related directly to the Darkness Deck.

Quote:
Also what happens if it's a 2 player game and all 5 of the d10s are above the TN for lair or pack generation? This seems very likely for a new small group.

If nothing is generated, then players place 'minimum elements' to meet the setup requirements of the tile legend. Described in 'Tile Finalization' of both the document you linked and the one I posted above.

Quote:
It is very rare that a different minion type would spawn, and if one does, it will probably force that same other type to spawn again on the same tile. This would not only keep tiles rather repetitive, but it would be rare to get multiple AP generation from different monster types.

Of course, the number of different types is related to difficulty. I was dissatisfied with other purely random type generators as it is far too easy to generate 4 or even 5 different monster types on a tile. Each monster type added affects the difficulty non-linearly and is not very compatible with a scaled difficulty progression. Therefore I sought to affect some balances on this potential difficulty explosion by more tightly controlling the number of different types that would be generated. Additionally, the single enemy type scenario is a valid game situation that becomes extremely rare if you give each and equal chance to spawn regardless of what's on the tile already and I was hoping to give this at least a reasonable chance of occurring. After playing many many games with these rules I don't believe that it is as rare to get multiple AP from different monsters as you suggest, but it is rare to have a silly number of different types. Most tiles will have 2-3 different monster types.

Quote:
The lair and minion generation also is very weighted towards having homogenous dungeons with multiple spawn of the same minion type associated with the boss on each tile. If you are using the Bones deck, you will very likely encounter shamblers and more shamblers every tile with an occasional Soulless.

This was done to make the dungeons have some thematic consistency. In my opition, if you're wandering through Bones' dungeon, you should be facing lots and lots of shamblers. Like I mentioned above, that isn't all you will be facing though, and I think this stems from a mis-estimation of the probabilities. I think in most dungeons from most RPGs you'll be facing a particular set of enemies punctuated by other enemy types. But I think this is personal preference really. I don't like it if I go one tile fighting shamblers and grubbers, the next Iathi, the next Tailless and Crawlers, the next Cycline.. To me it's like, why are all of these different groups here? It messes up my story =P.

Quote:
Then again, some of the formulas still don't quite make sense. The "leveling" by tracking CDi, LD, BM or whatever seems rather fiddly. I like the idea of a generator and one that progresses in difficulty, but this seems too wedded to a complicated campaign system.

This is all gone now, even I couldn't keep up with all that junk.

Anyway, I pray that most of the need for such rules will be obsolete with 2.0 anyway, though I haven't read that yet. Hope that the rules I posted here will be helpful to OP and anyone else in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
FryderyKC:

Thank you for responding. I almost sent you a PM earlier. =)

I do really like your charts. I have looked over many here, and I am of your mindset for random generation that makes sense and progresses. I actually printed your earlier rules out and have been trying to use them.

The TN makes more sense with a Story or 3 freeform equaling one level and then just subtract the monster modifier (-2 for Terror of 1k Legs). I was going to start trying TN +1 per tile then reset the bag and TN at a Boss kill.

I don't understand the 1-6 x 1-6 chart for probability for the 1-3FD. What is the 1 to 6 counting on each axis?

EDIT: Is it number of unique enemy types (1 to 6) crossed with number of spawns generated (1 to 6)? That is 1 spawn will always be 100% the same because there is only one type, but if there are 2 spawns then 41.6% of the time it will be one creature on both and 58.4% of the time they will have different types. Right? I guess my issue was I was using 4FD per the document I was using. With that you pretty much almost always had the main type, and rarer yet would you get something besides that spawn on the second role per "monster already on tile" priority OR priority with 4 dice.

Would you mind putting together a post of a sample set of die roles and results for a tile generation? It might help me to know where you are going with the charts. For example I don't understand the mini-boss priority. Isn't it always Yardu for Crawlers? How do the other 3 lines come into play?

No matter what, thanks for your work on these charts and rules.

Edit 2: How much have you played with these rules? How did it go in the upper levels with Rat King, IA, or Uruloc the Young? Actually, how do you spawn minions with an Uruloc boss deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Almighty Tallest
mbmbmbmbmb
FryderykC wrote:
I think in most dungeons from most RPGs you'll be facing a particular set of enemies punctuated by other enemy types.

While I appreciate your lists, I think this statement is somewhat wrong. While I agree that in most RPG's there is a "set" of monsters that typically spawns, in most RPG's I have played, you encounter a "party" of monsters.

So - for example - if Myth were to spawn similar to RPG's, it would spawn something like this:

2 Shamblers
2 Grubbers
2 Crawlers

or

2 Soulless
3 Shamblers
1 Crawler

or

1 Crawler
2 Muckers
2 Stalkers

etc.

The idea being that, depending on your party strength, and number of players, you could encounter a really big group of mostly the same stuff, or a big mix of enemies. I, for one, would love it if there were a random spawn generator that worked like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
The answer is to build your own lair cards that describe what each thing is:

Initial Spawn (currently contained in the rule book)
Normal Spawn (Currently contained on the minion card)
Heavy Spawn (Currently contained on the minion card)
Armor (always 4 for base)
HP (Always 5 for base)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.