Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I tried this scenario out last night, with disastrous results. Guess I didn't understand how this boss worked as well as I thought initially after a read-through. After searching the forums and getting all the information I could, I've come up with these answers so far for questions I've had for him:

1.) Q:How does the game start exactly? How does Birdman Burman attack, and what is the Hold?
A: He starts with 4 cards face-up on the 4 spaces of the board to the "right" of his character (opposite of the end where the other fighters start). These cards are in the Hold, which acts as discard piles similar to what normal fighters have. During the "Set Attack Pairs" step, Larimore places 2-4 attack cards (depending on the number of players) in his play area, and not on the board. The face-down attack cards that are to be used for pressing or attacking are not placed on the board spaces, those are only for Hold cards (cards that are still being recycled until they move off the board and back into the Larimore player's hand). 2 attack cards for 2 players, 3 for 3 players, 4 for 4 players. The cards that are face-up on the board behind Larimore act as cards currently being recycled, much like the cards in each fighter's discard piles.

Note: yes, I was dumb enough to think that the attack cards were supposed to be placed in empty slots on the Hold. You could imagine the confusion I had with the rules with that mindset.

2.) Q: Can fighter's attacks stack against Larimore's break counters?
A: Sort of. If a break counter has a value of 3 and a fighter hit it with 5 power, that would break the counter (a break counter of value 3 requires 4 damage to break, so only 1 damage would be carried over in this example), but the 1 remaining damage would be nullified and not go into effect against the 2nd break counter on the second attack for Larimore. However, if a player hit the 3 break counter with 2 damage, then the next fighter would only need a power of 2 to break the counter, as its health was reduced by 2 by the previous fighter. Damage only carries over as if each counter had its own health gauge, but one fighter's attack can't hit more than 1 counter each beat.

3.) Q: How exactly does cycling the Hold work?
A: An example would probably be best. Take a 3 player game for example.

_ _ _ _ L C C C C

And Larimore has 3 attack cards. If all 3 were broken, then the 3 right-most cards in the hold care to be removed, like so:

_ _ _ _ L C _ _ _

Then slide the remaining card to the end...

_ _ _ _ L _ _ _ C

... and place the 3 cards used to attack onto the spaces face-up.

_ _ _ _ L C C C C

If, however, the board looked like this at the start of a round:

_ _ _ _ L C C C C

And Larimore had 1 attack broken, the other 2 weren't broken, and he used one card to Press, this would cause Larimore to move up 1 space, and have the card used to attack be placed into the Hold, into the space Larimore moved from:

_ _ _ L _ C C C C

_ _ _ L C C C C C

The other attack card Larimore used for an attack, not a press. So during the recycle step, since only 2 cards were either broken or used to attack, 2 cards are removed from the hold while the rest slide to the right:

_ _ _ L C C C _ _

_ _ _ L _ _ C C C

Then the 2 attack cards played this turn (either for attacking or for pressing) are added to the empty slots:

_ _ _ L C C C C C

In other words, Larimore cycles as many cards through the Hold as he has attack cards still in play (that weren't used for pressing, since those were already added to the board earlier).

4.) Q: How does Lymn's disparity ability work against Larimore?
A: I don't know. I only have 2 theories. Either Lymn bases the disparity off of another fighter on his/her team, or the boss is treated as having a priority of 0. I'm probably wrong either way. I'd like to know the answer myself.

Any other questions anyone has, or if anyone has any answers to unanswered questions (#4), or if I got something wrong, feel free to post. Just trying to get at least 1 boss battle in Battlecon done correctly once in my lifetime, especially since that allows the game to be variable and scale-able in terms of player allowance, ranging from 2-5 players without doing the BattleQuest (I'm never doing that mode), as opposed to the regular 1 on 1 mode. Yeah there's team battles, but that doesn't account for 3 or 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Larimore Birdman Boss Battle Q&A
gexthegecko wrote:
Yeah there's team battles, but that doesn't account for 3 or 5 players.

For 3 players, you can play one EX character against two normal fighters. I've done this and it's fun. (And the special boss battles are too much of a rules headache for me, so I can't help with your actual questions. :/ )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
gexthegecko wrote:
Yeah there's team battles, but that doesn't account for 3 or 5 players.

For 3 players, you can play one EX character against two normal fighters. I've done this and it's fun. (And the special boss battles are too much of a rules headache for me, so I can't help with your actual questions. :/ )

I probably should've done that instead of the boss battle.whistle

Still, Boss Battles interest me, and I would like to try them out. Just need to do my research on how each one works before attempting it, as I learned the hard way. I'm still convinced they can be good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isn't Larimore's last name BURman (rather than BIRDman)? Though Birdman's nice, too, though he's more of a dragon, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Larimore Burman is the most confusing one.

Also, certain characters probably won't work. I don't think Lymn is a good choice, in particular, since the bosses often don't have a "priority". You could look in the BattleQUEST book for examples of how the UAs need to be tweaked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious Gamer
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
isn't Larimore's last name BURman (rather than BIRDman)? Though Birdman's nice, too, though he's more of a dragon, really.

Damnit.blushshake

Fixed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently been looking at this boss fight and made a real mess of it the first time that I tried it.

I came to the same conclusions as you for #1-3.

For #4, I think that treating the Priority as 0 is correct. In the "Unique Ability Interaction" at the bottom of page 36 it says:
Ottavia - Choose a single atttack when declaring Target lock. You lock based on that attack. Burman's attacks always have a Priority of zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
msg tools
I don't have anything to add, but thinking about his Hold as his "discard" is actually quite helpful. I've been wanting to get a sense of the rules to try this scenario out but the rulebook explanation is a little bit confusing. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.