Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Adams
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have finished painting my minis from Twin Shadows. I use some Citadel paints on these, but for the most part I just use Craftsmart paints from Michael's Craft store. No Boba or Kayn yet, but soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JFK Friendly
Germany
flag msg tools
Good Job! But did you consider using some wash/ink? That would make them even coller. Use black wash (eg citatel "nuln oil") for whire areas (R2 and Stormies) and a brown wash for c3po and the tusken raiders ("agrax earthshade). After that you can apply some highlights and then they'll be top notch.

All best
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jan_f wrote:
Good Job! But did you consider using some wash/ink? That would make them even coller. Use black wash (eg citatel "nuln oil") for whire areas (R2 and Stormies) and a brown wash for c3po and the tusken raiders ("agrax earthshade). After that you can apply some highlights and then they'll be top notch.

All best

+1
Good start but they do not look entirely finished IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adams
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys. Raiders and the two heroes do have nuln oil on them and are finished. I'm going to do some more work on R2-D2 and C3P0. I'm not sure about the troopers. I tried to do a wash and highlights with the troopers from the core game and it didn't go well. I need to get better first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mikeyadams66 wrote:
Thanks guys. Raiders and the two heroes do have nuln oil on them and are finished. I'm going to do some more work on R2-D2 and C3P0. I'm not sure about the troopers. I tried to do a wash and highlights with the troopers from the core game and it didn't go well. I need to get better first.

I first tried a black wash on the troopers like Sorastro did but wasn't happy with it at all. I took a look at the movies and they are always a bright white with gray shadows. So I watered down some gray a little and applied it in the shadowy areas and then went back an touched up the white again where necessary. I'm much happier with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I covered my core box ST's in Nuln Oil, then put white paint over that, but left the wash showing next to all the raised areas and (obviously) the tiny facial details. It worked pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
BTW, you've done well here I think. You have good precision on Biv, and that intimidates me, especially the strap. I really think your Tuskens and Saska pop nicely. One of those is my favorite in this set, followed by Biv.

C3PO seems the hardest to me. Good luck with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Adams
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!

Yeah, On C3PO, I haven't decided if I'm even going to attempt coloring the wiring of his mid section. That intimidates me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R2-D2 has been really difficult to paint for me. I think you have done a great job with the basecoats.

A suggestion is to dilute nuln. 2 part lahmian medium if you have it, and 1 part nuln oil. You can use water but the medium keeps the pigments consistent and well worth the purchase as it has many other uses. Apply it to all the white areas of the droid. After about 20 seconds get a cotton bud/que tip and rub the wash off the panels leaving the recesses with a very light grey shading. You can then tidy up all the paneling with your favorite white.

I also suggest the blue wash, drakenhoff nightshade. Apply that neat to all the blue panels in the dome and legs really gives them some depth. The wash collects around the edges of the recesses and help give it some more dimension. A think layer of the blue after that to the center area of each blue panel will help accentuate it.

I sound like I know what im doing. Ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeyadams66 wrote:
Yeah, On C3PO, I haven't decided if I'm even going to attempt coloring the wiring of his mid section. That intimidates me.

Drybrushing works. Get a very tiny amount of paint on the brush, then wipe it on the area. What works for me with a little more fluid paint is to get paint on one edge of the brush, then use the other side to brush over the target. And don't worry getting paint on the edges of the plating, you can always clean or repaint them, just use little enough paint not to escape to the recesses.

My R2-D2 will be quite worn-out-looking compared to yours, but I think I won't be applying much wash to C-3PO. He wants to be as shiny as possible (and is also otherwise the most straight-forward to paint in wave 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.