Popular Tags: [View All]
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The public objective deck seems somewhat devoid of political flavored objectives.

A friend of mine thought of some political public objectives.

Feel free to comment.

1) I abstained from voting 3 times. 1vp

2) A vote went my way, and I added the most influence to that vote. 1vp

3) 2 laws I put in the twilight council were voted with a 'for' result. 2vp

4) My bodyguard blocked someone's spy. 1vp

5) I hold promissory notes of 2 different players. 1vp

6) I hold Mecatol Rex and get an other players law passed. 2vp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
1) is a possibility. All of the others are easily foiled by the other players. For instance, if 4) was in play, I would never use a spy again for the rest of the game, as very few laws are worth giving other players victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Peleaz
United States
Newport news
Virginia
flag msg tools
Make them Prelim or Secret objectives, for sure. Or make another set of objectives altogether, The Political Objective deck. Deal them like secret objectives and use during The Long War. To have them as public would make them too blockable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jon.

1) Not too bad, and easy to track.

2) Some kind of definition of "my way"; there are some cards where you may vote a certain way but actually want it to go another way for whatever reason. (Not many, but a few)

3) This would only work with Assembly, and easy to block. Plus, if it's only FOR/AGAINST votes, this could make it very hard, depending on what you actually draw.

4) This would be impossible for some races, as some races don't have bodyguards. No other objective is made impossible merely based on race (although some are made EASIER by race, none are ever blocked outright). Plus, you have no control over this one - it's all dependent upon what other people do. Not really a good objective, in my opinion.

5) Again, this one is completely dependent upon other people. You can try to bargain, but nothing you can do "in game" can force people to give you one. All the other objectives have some mechanical way of pulling them off.

6) This could potentially work, but it's very vague as to what it means. Does it mean you voted for someone else's law, and that law passed? What about "elect player" laws? Those always "pass".

It's also worth noting that Nekro Virus would be virtually unable to do #2, and maybe #6, depending on what it means.

I like the idea of having political-oriented points, but I think they need to be something a player can have fate in his own hands with. Not necessarily "easy" work, but stuff that they don't depend on other people to score for them. (There are a couple Preliminary objectives that can depend on this, too, and for this reason those objectives sometimes have issues).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
2-5 take no bookeeping but #1 needs you to keep count possibly through 3 full rounds of play if there are political votes each round.
While most people can remember it is usually best to keep longer bookeeping needs off the table.
Could be done if you have something to mark it with each time you abstained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
2-5 take no bookeeping but #1 needs you to keep count possibly through 3 full rounds of play if there are political votes each round.
While most people can remember it is usually best to keep longer bookeeping needs off the table.
Could be done if you have something to mark it with each time you abstained.

I've created a whole bunch of little tokens that I use to mark various "bookkeeping" things with, such as:

- I have a little painted plastic mini from another game that I use for Holy Planet of Ixth
- I have two tokens (one with Red/Yellow, one with Blue/Green, I think) that I use to mark the law where you vote for a tech, and that one is cheaper and others are more expensive.
- I have a bunch of 2-sided Diplomat tokens; one side has a 2, the other a 1. When first used, I put it on a planet with the 2 side up; it flips at the end of the round, then goes away next round.
- A bunch of tokens for marking "I won a space battle" or "Ground battle", when those objectives come up (it's usually easy to remember, but there are times in a longer round it can be easier to forget).

And a bunch more. They make a lot of the bookkeeping much easier So #1 doesn't bother me, as it'd be easy to make tokens for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Political secret objectives
in additional to the regular secret objectives. This would open up more VP tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
The public objective deck seems somewhat devoid of political flavored objectives.

A friend of mine thought of some political public objectives.

Feel free to comment.

HI, some nice thoughts there.

My comments;

I do not mind tracking, most players hate tracking and therefore way too fiddly from my experience.

They all should be prelim.

I like #5, though like many of these they require playing with certain variants or options, and typically that's not the best way to go.

They look fun, and as long as you like them that's the good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea. The other posters have covered why these particular objectives are less than optimal, but I'd be interested to see how it went if you tried putting political objectives into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mb
How about something like "A law passed this round where I voted for and had 10 or more influence."

Would be similar to the current influence objectives but would require more but wouldn't require you to hold on to them to spend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more off-the-cuff ideas:

I abstained from voting this round when I had more votes than any other player.

(Assembly Only)
I played a political agenda which became law this round.

I was Speaker during both the Strategy and Status phases this round.

I cast more votes than all other players combined this round.

I control Mecatol Rex and am also the Voice of the Council.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those a bit more, overall. A few comments.
Magesmiley wrote:
I abstained from voting this round when I had more votes than any other player.

Not bad. You are somewhat in control of this, if you are smart with your influence, but could be doable.

Quote:
(Assembly Only)
I played a political agenda which became law this round.

This one COULD potentially be trouble, but I guess if you pick Assembly you could always choose yourself. But if anyone suspected you had this one, they could easily stymie you (unless you picked a doozie of a card!)

Quote:
I was Speaker during both the Strategy and Status phases this round.

Why not just say "I had the speaker token for the entire Strategy and Action phase this round", similar to the Mecatol Rex one? If you had it both Strategy and Status, you'll had to have had it during the Action phase, too, and this way the wording is consistent with the Mecatol card.

Quote:
I cast more votes than all other players combined this round.

While not impossible, this one could potentially be insanely difficult to pull off, even if you go out of your way to do it.

Quote:
I control Mecatol Rex and am also the Voice of the Council.

If you can control the vote, then you can pull this off, but it's similar to the above, and if anyone suspects you have it and tries to voice it, you'll have a very difficult time getting this one, as to guarantee it you'd have to have more votes than everyone else combined.

Just my random thoughts I like this concept overall!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.