Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do most of you leave the Large Group Cosmic cards in the deck even though you might play with fewer then 7 players or do you take them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asbjørn Lie Parmer
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take them out. I prefer the deck to be more easily countable at lower player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use those cards in games with 7+ players. The balance of the base cosmic deck is perfect, if you ask me. The extra cards in a small game make it swingier than I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waldemar Bata
Poland
Toruń
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm lazy. I leave them in the deck.
Besides, it is Cosmic Encounter we are talking about, not Terra Mystica. Swingy, chaotic, surprising, unpredictable - it is the soul of this game. Heart is a friendly and cheerful company of gamers you are playing it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
von Klamke wrote:
I'm lazy. I leave them in the deck.
Besides, it is Cosmic Encounter we are talking about, not Terra Mystica. Swingy, chaotic, surprising, unpredictable - it is the soul of this game. Heart is a friendly and cheerful company of gamers you are playing it with.

Yep, but the underlying engine needs to support that well. If you ever played with the Mayfair edition of the game in the '90s, you saw how a carelessly cobbled-together cosmic deck can make a mess of the game. Draw an opening hand of 7 cards, and have no encounter cards at all? Yuck. No. FFG and Kevin Wilson did a fantastic job of correcting this by getting the right balance of encounter cards, artifacts and flares, with a choice of attack and reinforcement numbers that makes all the other decisions in an encounter fairly meaningful.

Anyway, that's why, even after 5 expansions, the cosmic deck has barely been touched since the FFG edition came out. The foundation for this crazy roller coaster is that carefully designed cosmic deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but the ratio of cards added is pretty consistent with the base set's configuration. The full Eon deck was 84 cards. The FFG deck with the large group cards is 96 cards (and Eon didn't have any reinforcements or Morphs). The FFG complete deck adds 8 reinforcements and 2 morphs. That's a difference of only 2 cards in the end.

Mayfair definitely went overboard, and you were more likely to have starting hands that were very weird. I leave the large group cards in my FFG deck, and other than the very rare deal of something like two attack 30s, there is rarely an anomaly.

I think part of the reason things hold up better in the FFG set than Mayfair is the reward deck(s). They keep the balance, but still add in a lot of flavor and effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.