Breakout: Normandy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swimin' infantry? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Are all infantry units, and by that I mean all types (ranger, commando, pz grdier, etc.), allowed to dive through the muddy waters of northern France? Or is it just regular infantry (the guys with the plain X)? My understanding is that all can go a-swimming as per 4.21, is that so?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can ride on DUKW's! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chokin wrote:
Hi,

Are all infantry units, and by that I mean all types (ranger, commando, pz grdier, etc.), allowed to dive through the muddy waters of northern France? Or is it just regular infantry (the guys with the plain X)? My understanding is that all can go a-swimming as per 4.21, is that so?

Thanks.

Yes. It's all the special units that can't: armor, flak, pak, arty, NWs, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
If you consider that (IMO) both Lee and Jason are correct it makes perfect sense on this scale (again, IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg M.
Canada
flag msg tools
Just be careful as they can't swim back after a failed mandatory attack if they don't control the river/bridge.

The same happens if you cross an enemy bridge to attack. Not only is there an additional defense modifier but you are toast if you lose the battle as you can't retreat over that enemy bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tartan21 wrote:
Just be careful as they can't swim back after a failed mandatory attack if they don't control the river/bridge.

The same happens if you cross an enemy bridge to attack. Not only is there an additional defense modifier but you are toast if you lose the battle as you can't retreat over that enemy bridge.

Note that the conditions you’re listing, found in 9.63, are titled Defender Retreat Restrictions. When you lose an assault, you’re kicked back to where you came from at D1 –- it doesn’t matter whether you own the bridge/riverline or not.

Point being: when you attack over an enemy-held bridge/riverline and lose, you’re not eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.