BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Constantinopolis from FFG: $22.00 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Info: Constantinopolis
MSRP: $65.00
[Dead]Amazon $19.99 prime shipping
Miniature Market $22.00
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon] Constantinopolis from FFG: $19.99 (70% off) with free shipping with prime
Excellent game, as long as you go in knowing it's a mostly low-interaction cube-pusher that requires mitigating (or living with) some randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Amazon] Constantinopolis from FFG: $19.99 (70% off) with free shipping with prime
I concur. This game is something else and even after 10 plays of it, I still felt I hadn't learned all I could about this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also have 10+ plays. If you like dry Euro games, like I do, you won't be disappointed. It's really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis P
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In for one! Thanks for the heads up, OP. Looking forward to getting this one to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think our family would have really enjoyed this one but had a hard time with everything named in Latin. Whereas Puerto Rico when you purchased Trading House the name would imply it's function and the rule for that building would stick with us, but purchasing a Mensae always drove us to the rules even after multiple plays. If you can get past that the game is enjoyable but we could not get past that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dalec wrote:
I think our family would have really enjoyed this one but had a hard time with everything named in Latin. Whereas Puerto Rico when you purchased Trading House the name would imply it's function and the rule for that building would stick with us, but purchasing a Mensae always drove us to the rules even after multiple plays. If you can get past that the game is enjoyable but we could not get past that.

Interesting. I never paid any attention to the names of the red (production), yellow (market), purple (public), or grey (wall) buildings/tiles. The only ones where that would be an issue are the 4 green (utility) buildings. We rarely referred to them by any kind of name, but when we did, it would be more descriptive, like "the building that lets you buy anything". The icons were clear enough that we didn't need to go to the rulebook after the first game or so.

I can see the naming being a bit off-putting, but am surprised it turned out to be a showstopper to enjoying the game. As a point of comparison, I found the German building names in Industria to be much worse, because it seemed like you used the names more, and the theme of each building mattered more than in Constantinopolis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some families this might even be a selling plus for the game if they are seeking this type of theme, it is immersive with the Latin naming, if I recall correctly even the ships are referred to as Dromos; so there are many that might enjoy this. The game is certainly priced right at this time and FFG always has nice components. Just hate to sound like the "hater", Just because we couldn't enjoy doesn't mean many won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.