Hide
3 Posts

Piecepack» Forums » General

Subject: Free Piecepack Sprites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zephram Raviedes
msg tools
I've drawn two sets of Piecepack sprites. The originals are in the top left, the big versions are just upsized 4x for your viewing pleasure. The checkerboard effect, too, is meant to help visibility. Just paint it white if you want to use these sprites.

#1 is for use in video games and web pages - creating, and depicting the states of, Piecepack-related games. Its sprites are 31x31:

EDIT: I've reread the Anatomy rules. Stuff's supposed to be centered. So, here's a version that's compliant.

#2 is my attempt to create the smallest legible, useable Piecepack sprites I could, because I intend to recreate them with Perler beads. Each sprite is 17x17:

Nulls show just the suit, Aces show an 'A'. Does this deviate from Piecepack anatomy? I dunno.
This second set, as I mentioned, is to be made with Perler beads. Obviously, they will have to be double-sided (or backed with some material) so people can't see 'through' them. So, the 2x2 grid tiles will probably be made seperately then fused to the others.
I've yet to decide exactly what 2x2 grid design to use, but the 17x17 Perler tiles, when made, should be about the right size to comfortably hold 4 Looney Pyramids. This is a design goal ('cause I like Alien City).
I have Looney Pyramid sprites as well, but they're faux-isometric and don't fit stylistically with the above sprites. If people would like me to draw some that DO fit, I will. I used 31x31 and 17x17 so there'd be a 1-pixel/1-bead-wide-line to make the 2x2 grid on the backside be centered.

EDIT: I've done some plugin work and discovered that making the 17x17 Piecepack out of Perler beads requires 635 yellow beads, 395 red, 581 blue, 1157 black, 11104 white = 13872 beads. That's quite a bit, but worth it if you're already into Perlers, I guess...
(This number is for double-sided tiles only. No tokens, pawns, or other stuff - though a few hundred beads should suffice for those.)

These sprites are released to the public domain; anyone may use them for any purpose.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Now I just want to see some games that use these.

(Or possibly make some.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zephram Raviedes
msg tools
Thank you! I could make these much smaller if not for the fact that making a recognizeable fleur-de-lis takes a lot of pixels. It's a blurry mess if you try to make it any smaller. If I used alternate suits, I could make REALLY tiny ones - like 8x8 - but then you couldn't put Looney pyramids on 'em like I want to.

I updated the original post with the bead count. 14k beads sounds like a ton (and it is), but if people are willing to DIY Piecepack by cutting wood/ordering wood tiles, stamping/inking the wood themselves and so on, I thought "Why not try to make something people just need lots of beads and iron for?" I haven't seen any pixelated-style Piecepacks anyway, and the only other plastic one I know of is the one in The Infinite Board Game, which won't even be out til November.

As for games that use these, I'm sure to be designing some, after putting in all the work making the real-life counterparts. I'm thinking up some double-sided tiles, or tiles with unique icons on them for effects/powerups, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls