BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Card + Dice Soccer Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister Dragonier
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Lately i´ve been trying to get my nephew into board and card games (he just likes to play soccer or computer games) and i´ve had success with Dice Masters (he loves the luck of the dice), Dead of Winter (ZOMBIES+Traitor)and a little bit with Thunderstone Advance.

I personally am a fan of deck builders or anything with a draft mechanic so i was thinking of joining them up in a game for us both. A 2 player 11 vs 11 soccer game with cards and dice.

You would start by drafting a team in a set number of rounds, for example 3 where each round would have better players available with a set cost. The downfall would be that your team would have a total "price" of 100 between all 11 players so you couldnt fill it with just the better ones available.

You have to get a minimum of 3 defenders, 2 midfielders and 1 attacker and a maximum of 5 defenders, 5 midfielders or 4 attackers (total being still 11).

The players would have stats for various things like Tackle, Heading, Passing, Speed, Dribble and Shooting which when compared to the opponent player would give + or - to 6d dice rolls. So for example if you would be attempting a Pass with a Midfielder you would roll 1 or 2 dice (depending on the quality of your player) while the defending player would choose one of his Midfielders to try to tackle checking his Tackle stat for number of dice or effects on the opponent ones.

This is like the basic beyond the idea, i´ve just started brainstorming it while at work for the past couple of days. Still havent thought how we would determine if he´s passing a ball to the side or to the forward for example using the same example above would the defender choose a Midfielder or a Defender to try and cut the pass. Could use something like tapping a card when attempting to do so to avoid players using the same guys over and over, they would remain tapped until you regain the ball.

The cards would be layed in a formation with penalties for like using Offensive stats in Defence. Something like -3 on Defense, -2 on Midfield and -1 on Offense to prevent Defenders shooting from all the way back while still leaving a chance that a 6 dice would still beat a crappy GK (rolls just a dice and gets like a 1 or a 2).

Sorry for the long vent, just wanting to know if anyone has thought of making such a soccer/football game with cards and what do people think in overall of this starting point of mine.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a soccer game and do not mind PnP: you can check out Action Soccer League here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Dragonier
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont mind PnP at all, im giving it a look, thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out Soccer City? The rules are available for download in the files section for the game here on BGG, and a print-and-play version is available on the company's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Quallen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also check out KickShot Soccer Strategy Board Game. It's made by a local designer here in Idaho and my children really enjoyed it although I, unfortunately, did not get to witness the game. Might be a good game to investigate to gather some design ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevan Ng
msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

Just wondering how far along you got with this game?

I started developing a card and dice soccer game and decided to see if there was anything similar out and or in development. That's when I came across this post and noticed that we have a similar basic concept, drafting/deck building to make your team and using dice and cards for the game, but my game has different mechanics.

If you've changed your game at all, wanted to make sure it wasn't similar to mine so I am not stealing your idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.