Subject: Questions about bonds. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K K
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone can help me with these questions on the rules.

1) Can you own more than one bond in a nation or can you only upgrade your existing bonds? For example, could I hold the 25M bond and the 2M bond in the same country?

2) How do you give back bonds? Is it only done through upgrading to a higher bond? The sentence in the FAQ of the rules left us guessing. An example might be helpful.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) As far as I understand you can buy different bonds in a country. But then of course, you might not invest enough to get a pretty return on your investments.

Towards the end of the game, it might be better to buy small bonds, because you will otherwise not get your money back to the same degree if you buy bigger bonds. (Lower percentage)

2) You can only bring back bonds when you are upgrading. The bonds can be explained as "potential victory points".

/Strömer, from Sweden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
A player can hold more than one bond from a single Nation, and can hold bonds from more than one Nation.

You cannot actually sell bonds or give them back, except when buying a new bond. When buying a bond you have a choice: pay the entire cost or use a single bond of that Nation that you already own as part payment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raffaele Porrini
Italy
Rome
Latium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another topic-fitting question:
Say in an investor phase, one or more players remained without a nation so have the right to buy a bond.

Now it could happen that, at the end of the investor phase when the check for the nation control is made, two or more players have the same amount of bonds of a nation.

Who will control said nation?

e.g.: Player A holds 16M bond of a nation (say Great Britain) and the investor card, while player B holds 12M and 2M bond of the same nation and controls no nation. Also player C controls no nation and doesn't have G.B. bonds.

At the investor turn, A, buys 4M G.B. bond.
B, having the right to do it buys 6M G.B. bond.
C buys 20M G.B. bond.

All three at the end of the investor phase have a total of 20M Great Britain bonds each. Who controls Great Britain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rporrini wrote:
Another topic-fitting question:
Say in an investor phase, one or more players remained without a nation so have the right to buy a bond.

Now it could happen that, at the end of the investor phase when the check for the nation control is made, two or more players have the same amount of bonds of a nation.

Who will control said nation?

e.g.: Player A holds 16M bond of a nation (say Great Britain) and the investor card, while player B holds 12M and 2M bond of the same nation and controls no nation. Also player C controls no nation and doesn't have G.B. bonds.

At the investor turn, A, buys 4M G.B. bond.
B, having the right to do it buys 6M G.B. bond.
C buys 20M G.B. bond.

All three at the end of the investor phase have a total of 20M Great Britain bonds each. Who controls Great Britain?

From page 10 of the rulebook:

Quote:
If, due to the allocation of bonds, a new player has achieved the highest credit sum (a tie is not sufficient), he takes over the government of that nation and is given the flag.

So, in your example A retains the Great Britain flag, as no other nation has more bonds than him.

Now, I am not sure what would happen if A had not invested and B and C are tied for the highest number of bonds. Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raffaele Porrini
Italy
Rome
Latium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psauberer wrote:
So, in your example A retains the Great Britain flag, as no other nation has more bonds than him.

Now, I am not sure what would happen if A had not invested and B and C are tied for the highest number of bonds. Anyone?

Well, I think that IF there are TWO foolish gamers BOTH without a nation, and BOTH buy the SAME amount of money in bonds of the SAME nation, they earned to BOTH not control it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say B invested first, so he gets control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. Investments are done in turn order starting with the player who activated the "investor" phase (if playing without the Investor Card), or starting with the player who has the Investor Card and going in turn order from there. Whoever took control first would retain it unless the next player to buy bonds invested more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.