Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Where do people learn the background of the world and people of Indines?
Each of the BattleCON rulebooks has a single page that mentions each of the character in that set, in passing.
Otherwise the only other information I can find is what I can infer from how each of the characters functions in game (for example: Jager is a werewolf, Adjenna can turn people to stone, etc.). And then, occasionally there will be a few quotes scattered on some cards throughout BattleCON and Argent.

That leads me to another point, how does Argent: the Consortium tie into the world? The best I can come up with is that it's not a part of the "actual main Indines world", but instead more akin to how Blood Bowl is to Warhammer Fantasy. Otherwise, how do you explain how practically everyone under the sun is on staff at the school? Rexan, who according to the WoI rulebook, is apparently the big bad guy of the world, works there right along with a bunch of people that probably want to kill him (and vise versa).

It's possible that the world isn't near as fleshed out as I thought it was, but I could swear I remember a bunch of people (during the kickstarter for WoI-Revised) talking about why, thematically, they did or didn't like such and such a character.

Anyway, any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Where do people learn the background of the world and people of Indines?
Each of the BattleCON rulebooks has a single page that mentions each of the character in that set, in passing.
Otherwise the only other information I can find is what I can infer from how each of the characters functions in game (for example: Jager is a werewolf, Adjenna can turn people to stone, etc.). And then, occasionally there will be a few quotes scattered on some cards throughout BattleCON and Argent.

That leads me to another point, how does Argent: the Consortium tie into the world? The best I can come up with is that it's not a part of the "actual main Indines world", but instead more akin to how Blood Bowl is to Warhammer Fantasy. Otherwise, how do you explain how practically everyone under the sun is on staff at the school? Rexan, who according to the WoI rulebook, is apparently the big bad guy of the world, works there right along with a bunch of people that probably want to kill him (and vise versa).

It's possible that the world isn't near as fleshed out as I thought it was, but I could swear I remember a bunch of people (during the kickstarter for WoI-Revised) talking about why, thematically, they did or didn't like such and such a character.

Anyway, any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Check here for a whole bunch of info:

http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/World_of_Indines_Wiki

There are art books for BattleCON and Argent that have some of the lore explored as well. Argent is actually a university in one of the regions of Indines, though I can't recall which one at the moment. And I think it's Byron that works there, not Rexan, unless osmething has changed since Devastation. I haven't read the Fate/War:Remastered story bits yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stories in Indines are kinda funny. There are all of these major worldly threats, and yet they still have civilization, "summer breaks," etc. LOL. There's a lot of grey regarding most of the villains, as well. Burman is a respected professor, but he's of the race of dragons that used to rule Indines and have a magically shielded island or something of the like. Meanwhile his queen is trying to resurrect the great Dragon King. Then there's Byron, who may be trying to summon an evil demon or has some other hidden agenda, yet, like you say, he works at the world's most famous magical university. Oriana is trying to throw the world into chaos but her fellow Chaon Welsie loves Indines enough to have multiple timeline versions of herself living in it at the same time. Weirdness, interesting-ness, humor, and drama...all Indines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
In the game Argent: The Consortium, Rexan is one of the Consortium members, so at the very least, if he's not on staff, he's at least a consultant.

Thank you very much for the info!

For some reason I thought the story was bit more rigid and structured. But thank you very much for that link. It's exactly what I was wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
In the game Argent: The Consortium, Rexan is one of the Consortium members, so at the very least, if he's not on staff, he's at least a consultant.

Oh, good point. I haven't read all of the Argent stuff yet. Anyhow, enjoy the reading. There's also a visual novel-type game coming eventually, which will really explore some of the lore of the games. BattleCON Online will have story modes as well. But that's all future stuff, though BC: ONline is currently on Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:

I think the Consortium is mostly people from outside the university. Sort of like a corporate board or something. (Maybe real university boards work this way? I have no idea.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Burnham wrote:

I think the Consortium is mostly people from outside the university. Sort of like a corporate board or something. (Maybe real university boards work this way? I have no idea.)

Yeah but still, I picture it like if there was a prestigious school that people from all over the world attended in the year 1943, and Hitler was on the board of directors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Hitler did host an Olympic games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Fair point, though it was before the war started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Argent is set after the war has ended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladislav Goldakovsky
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
I think we should treat Argent: the Consortium storyline as a side-universe, not as a canon part of War->Dev->Fate storyline.
It makes more sense to me that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps, Rexan to Hitler is a pretty terrible comparison.

What makes Rexan an interesting character, imho, is that he's actually not a terrible guy. He's a politician and an inspirational leader of a country that just happens to be made up of vampires and ghosts and zombies... he was villified by the other nations to the extent that he was killed - but when Magdelina finally meets him after his revival, he is able to talk to her and convince her that actually, he's not so bad, and maybe she should rethink some of those values of hers...

Argent fits into Indines just fine. The other thing to remember with the Consortium is that the Consortium cards themselves are a list of people who MIGHT be on the council, not a list who are definitely. I don't think there is a canon consortium membership list though, probably because they ARE so nebulous and mysterious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone's gonna be compared to Hitler, it should be Adjenna, given that her plan is to resurrect her husband and have the dragon master race rule the world.

But Rexan? Rexan's cool. A good leader who just so happens to be ruler of a desolate hellscape, and he's fighting for a better place in the world for him and his countrymen.

Though he might get better PR if he didn't refer to himself as "Overlord". Or fight using curses and other black magic-y stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Bakatron wrote:

What makes Rexan an interesting character, imho, is that he's actually not a terrible guy. He's a politician and an inspirational leader of a country that just happens to be made up of vampires and ghosts and zombies... he was villified by the other nations to the extent that he was killed - but when Magdelina finally meets him after his revival, he is able to talk to her and convince her that actually, he's not so bad, and maybe she should rethink some of those values of hers...

Which is kinda my main point, where did you learn this? It certainly wasn't from the BattleCON rulebooks. And then even now that I've been shown the wikia page, where did they get all of that information from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Lots of stuff of the lore comes from conversations with Brad (i.e. BattleCon Skype group) - so not a published work where it could be looked up. Nick (Bakatron) adds it to the wiki when he gets the chance, so the wiki is currently the best resource for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Burnham wrote:
Bakatron wrote:

Which is kinda my main point, where did you learn this? It certainly wasn't from the BattleCON rulebooks. And then even now that I've been shown the wikia page, where did they get all of that information from?
I don't have it on hand to check, but I'm pretty certain that that little snippet is from the Art of BattleCON book. Lots of neat little lore things in that book; another one I remember is how Shekhtur, despite cursed with an evil artifact she can't remove, is actively trying to get it removed and re-sealed and trying to do good with it, while Eligor, who inherited a holy sword from his training, is actually a bit of a prick interested more in accruing personal fame and glory than doing any actual good. This was part of them being each others' foil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakatron wrote:

I seem to remember Brad saying (no idea in what forum; maybe Kickstarter comments?) that it was intentional to make Rexan a nebulous legendary evil in the first game, and then reveal in the second one that hey, he had his reasons and they weren't that bad.

But I also think he said about the same time that if Devastation has an uncomplicatedly evil character, it's Gerard... who is also sometimes on the Consortium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
Bakatron wrote:

I seem to remember Brad saying (no idea in what forum; maybe Kickstarter comments?) that it was intentional to make Rexan a nebulous legendary evil in the first game, and then reveal in the second one that hey, he had his reasons and they weren't that bad.

But I also think he said about the same time that if Devastation has an uncomplicatedly evil character, it's Gerard... who is also sometimes on the Consortium.

That is made pretty clear on the Art of BattleCON book, so pretty easily avaliable. The Artbooks are the best source of Canon story for Indines avaliable so far.

About Rexan. When you think that the whole Indines has a single monetary unity accepted all around, a comparison woth the EU is in place, and so an important political figure of a kingdom, even one with an unstable relationship with the others, is acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Eglinton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rexan stuff is from a variety of sources that I've picked things up from over time. Art of Battlecon, Devastation, wiki info, flavour text, rulebooks and Brad himself.

I'm still hoping for a big "Indines lore book" someday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakatron wrote:

I'm still hoping for a big "Indines lore book" someday

Now THAT would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.