Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke out my copy of Tokyo Express this week, since it's been sitting on my shelf not being played. I forgot how chit-heavy record keeping this game was. Formation chits, direction chits, speed chits, target/attacker chits, illumination chits, detection chits, damage chits, chit chit chit Holy Chit! zombie

I can see that there's a good game here - the AI is tough, the theme is great and I think well enacted. But I just get lost in all the CHITS that have to be on the board - Piles and Piles of CHITS. And when your ships are all on top of each other in close combat, it's unplayable.

Is there anyway to make it simpler? Is there a way of making a template or chart or something for the formations, in order to keep the amount of stuff on the board to a minimum? What have you guys found?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't come up with a way to use fewer markers on the map, but I did write several new scenarios for the basic rules, to give it more variety without having to use the advanced rules for different scenarios (and also 2-player rules):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/24002/

I have all my counters and markers sorted into 2 AH counter trays which helps a bit, but it does seem that there are often more markers on the map than ship counters! Still, it's one of my very favorite games, and IMHO, the best tactical WWII naval game ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jude. I'll have to check out the scenarios.

It's just frustrating. I WANT to like this game. It was one of the first ones I ever bought. But the record-keeping gets in the way.

I know one of the main problems is when there is more than one ship in a hex - not only are you trying to juggle multiple chits per ship, but then multiple ones within a single hex. Have you ever tried any kind of stacking rules? (I know there are collision rules in the Advanced game with more than two ships, but I thought that was only for the U.S. and the Japanese could have as many as they wanted per hex.)

Maybe I should just create my own and see how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I came up with was:

Keep the markers oriented in the same direction as the ship they apply to. Then if there are 2 ships in the same space but facing in different directions, it's easy to tell which markers go with with ship.

Otherwise, I guess you could come up with proxy markers to match with a duplicate marker on a small piece of paper, and keep the actual markers on the papers -- one paper for each ship. But that would entail a lot of looking back an forth between the papers and the counters on the map, and also even more table space.

I honestly haven't found all the markers to be much of a problem unless there are a lot of ships on the board and they are close together. I've found that even in that case, usually within a couple of turns later, many of the ships are sunk and gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the keeping the chits/markers facing the same direction. That might help.

Maybe I just need to suck it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I like the keeping the chits/markers facing the same direction. That might help.

Maybe I just need to suck it up.

Have fun! It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you made a house keeping sheet which you keep next to the map? Here you list each ship with a box next to it. Then you move all the counters relevant to a ship to the corresponding box on the sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
What if you made a house keeping sheet which you keep next to the map? Here you list each ship with a box next to it. Then you move all the counters relevant to a ship to the corresponding box on the sheet.

Oooh. I like that. That WOULD probably clear things up. Shame I just sold it. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crap. I would have bought it from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.