Soccer 17» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Simple review for a simple (but beautiful) game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
мąççą
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Football is simple but the hardest thing to do is play simple football" - Johann Cruyff

Soccer (or passionately known to its fanatic followers as football) has always mesmerised the world, from past to present, due to its simplicity & elegance. Yet the Beautiful Game is so unpredictable & thrilling; just like the mircogame "Soccer 17".

Overview
Soccer 17 is a rock-paper-scissors style game by Jack Darwid which consists of 17 cards (can extend to more with Team Cards add-on), plays about 17 mins for 2 players (can extend to more players with additional sets). The simple rules means that players as young as 8 years of age can understand. Having the knowledge & passion of the Beautiful Game is good, though not necessary.

Gameplay
1. Play cards
2. Reveal & resolve
3. Advance time
(repeat till full time)

1. Play cards - Both player chooses a card to perform its action & place it face-down on the table: both the attacker (Pass/Dribble/One-two) and defender (Block/Press/Anticipate/Tackle) are trying to guess which cards the opponent chose so that he can gain the advantage over the other.

2. Reveal & resolve - If the defender has correctly put out a card that matches the colour of the attacker, he gains back possession of the ball.
Otherwise, the attacker, depending on the card chosen, could do either advance up the field and/or gain a star (increase the shooting accuracy) or try a shot at goal! When shooting at goal, the attacker will pick the number of cards equal to the strength plus stars gained. Only 1 card out of the possible 6 will result in a goal

3. Advance time - Whether a goal has been scored, the attacker missed or defender successful gets the ball back, the other player now has a chance to launch an attack. Play continues as the time slowly ticks away with every touch of the ball... Will you walk away in victory or shame?!

There are some specific rule details that I did not cover but that is generally the flow of play.

Thoughts
Soccer 17 is a distilled version of Yomi, the popular RPS fighting game. It takes the 54 deck of cards with lots of text & trimmed it down to a basic hand of 4 cards. Although a lot of unique moves & character powers are absent, yet it scratches the same itch for me in a shorter time, not forgetting that 1 set (or 2 for tournament games) is all I need to play! Throw in some Team Cards and it changes game to game
I can teach this game in less than 1.7 mins and play a full game in 17 mins while waiting for a game group to arrive or in between games, something which Yomi struggles to do. Plus, it is soccer, who doesn't like football!

Conclusion
This quick little game has been surprising enjoyable for me and my friends, some of which are non-gamers & are not fans of the sport. This simple, fast playing filler has kept true to the spirit of the game - all the excitement, groans, cheers and high-5s are contained within the 17 mins & 17 cards. Its simple & elegant gameplay accompanied by the unpredictable nature of RPS creates a thrilling experience, just like the simple & Beautiful Game!

Components: N.A. (prototype)
Fun factor: 4/5
Theme: 4/5
Assessibility: 5/5
Interaction: 4/5
Replayability: 3/5

Rating: 8/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh King
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Backed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshk1977 wrote:
Just Backed it
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huge Goat
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once I read this review and saw how this game worked, it became an instant back for me. The deluxe level is also fantastically priced.

Here's to reaching the goal (ha!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gazthrak wrote:
Once I read this review and saw how this game worked, it became an instant back for me. The deluxe level is also fantastically priced.

Here's to reaching the goal (ha!)
Thanks a lot!
We do our best to push the price down, especially the deluxe level.
Cheers to reaching the goal soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.