William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Quote:
“[Trump] is appealing to a segment that I’ll just label racist. And it exists, and it’s out there. You know what? I don’t want to have anything to do with it,” Johnson said in an interview with libertarian magazine Reason. “It embarrasses me. The electorate will paint the entire Republican Party with a broad brush as a result of Trump, and it won’t be positive.”

From an interview with Reason magazine.

So with the Donald getting an endorsement from David Duke and claiming that he has a 'great relationship with the blacks', his polling numbers with the African American community is terrible- with over 7 out of 10 having a negative opinion of the man. But yet, only Gary Johnson is really willing to just call the situation like it is- Trump's embrace of the Nativist wing of the GOP is also attracting and providing cover for the racist fringe.

The question then becomes- how will Trump respond? Will he actually repudiate these people? Or will he willingly take their money and support at the polls but never actually come out and repudiate their interpretation of what a Trump presidency actually entails?

Either way, given that I live in Texas, (and the GOP candidate is winning no matter what) I'm voting for Johnson in the general. (That is, if he runs. He might not, goddamn it.) Given how the primary shapes up though, I might look into switching parties to vote against Trump in the primary- then, Kasich would be my guy. Heck, if he actually won the GOP primary, I'd vote for him over Hilary. I might agree with more of Hilary's platform, but I think she'd make Nixon look like a libertarian. Kasich, on the other hand, I reasonably trust as much as I do any other given politician.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing I love about him is he is the most transparent politician I have ever heard of.

He never hides anything, never gives BS answers, never avoids questions (or "misinterprets" questions). Of course this hurts him when it comes to getting votes, which is why it's not commonplace.

He was actually on Reddit a few years back answering random people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

Of course this hurts him when it comes to getting votes, which is why it's not commonplace.

As probably the only RSP'er to have actually voted for a winning Gary Johnson..Twice. I must say I have always like Johnson. He made a fine Governor of New Mexico, and I think he would do a stand-up job in Washington.

That said, I don't think he has a chance in hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I met Gary here at a campaign stop in Cedar Rapids back in the run up to the 2008 election. At the time he was kind of whiny to the small spattering of press and event people. I don't know why, but he rubbed me the wrong way. Of course here in RSP that may be seen as a positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that he's not actually running yet....?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.