6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Trick taking card game. Need help with specifics... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hogg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi first time posting hope you can help...

I've created a trick taking card game and am having problems with specifics, its a bit unlike any trick taking game i've played. I'll leave out design details but:

There are 32 different play cards that can be taken by 16 different trump cards, each trump card can only take two specific play cards. I have doubles of each trump card so it is 32 play cards vs 32 trump cards.

You start with 5 trump cards. On your turn you pick up a play card and play it. The other person has the option to trump it (after picking up a trump card) . If they do they score a matching score (on the play card) if they dont the firat player scores 2 (one for each unmatched)

There are cards that do other things but thats not important to this question.

When I tested no one ever got a matching pair. I was thinking probably need more copies of trump cards, but how many?

Any other criticism is welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Debenedetto
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
So, if I am understanding this correctly there are 2 decks (trump deck, and normal deck). On your turn you flip the top card of the normal deck. Then the next player can play a trump card from their hand if it can trump the normal card. Then they draw a trump card.
1. What happens if they can't trump the card played?
2. Why is the starting normal card random from the top of the deck?
3. When you say 'matching pair' do you mean a normal card and it's trump card?

Overall I feel like I have no idea how the game works. I really want to help but you might need to write up the full rules or (maybe) just a round summary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you increase the copies of all trump cards, that doesn't increase the chance of drawing a match. If you want to increase the chance of drawing a match, you should make the trump cards trump 3-4 cards instead of only 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blackburn
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think I'm understanding the game, what's the strategy? Typically in trumping games, you want players to have deep decisions about whether and how to use their trump cards. Your game seems to have the opposite, where you rarely get the opportunity to play a trump, and so you should always trump when you can.

Like the other posters said, if you don't want that, you might have to increase the number of cards that you can trump.

To do this, you can easily calculate the odds of a card being trumpable. Looks like each card can only take 1/16 cards. You have 5 trump cards in your hand, so the odds you can trump a given card are about 1/3. It's actually 29.23% from 1-(32-2)!/(32-2-5)! / (32!-(32-5)!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a bit like Snap v2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hogg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ok so I was missing out details to try and make it less complicated! Think i nailed that *eyeroll*

So the two decks are insults and comebacks based on the insult sword fighting in monkey island. So theres a normal insult and sword master insult that are both matched by one comeback card (of which theres two copies.)

EXAMPLE TIME

Normal insult: you fight like a dairy farmer
Sword master insult: i will milk every drop of blood from your body

2 comebacks: how appropriate you fight like a cow.

On your go you pick up and play an insult p2 picks up a comeback then either plays the correct comeback and THEY score the "matching score" on the individual insult cards. Or if they dont have a matching one they play any comeback and YOU score 2 (one for each card)

There are plenty of other cards in there, powers, things that reverse powers, player powers, pass and wild cards that spice up gameplay but thats not important to this discussion i dont think. Although if anyone has opinions on how many powers cards there should be compared to normal cards id be intrigued to hear it.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer?

I'm aware IP would stop it ever being published in this form but its a present for my wife at the moment so not an issue yet!

Thanks in advance folks

EDIT: I have added in wild cards that can take any trick which seems to have made it work a little bit better. I am still wondering if I should add more copies of comebacks though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.