Popular Tags: [View All]
Philipp Klarmann
Germany
Bad Schönborn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venetia is an underrated gem which suffers from a negative review on the Dice Tower. One cannot really see why the game was slammed by Tom Vasel, but we can assume from most other reviewers that this review is an outlier. I am adding to the majority here in saying that Venetia is a must have for the historical gamer who likes to live the rise and fall of the Serenissima.

The game at heart is an area control game with action cards. You play an aspiring family in Venice trying to gain as many colonies as possible and gaining majorities in them. Each turn you chose from a set of action dice one die which shows a numbered value plus a symbol for drawing cards. If you are the elected doge (a subgame), you are able to add one point to the die. They can thus range from 2-5 in value. There are three kinds of dice, which allow different placement methods, the most risky being the military die. This die can have great success allowing two cubes to be placed at once, but gives a reason for conflict for the other powers in the Mediterrenean. The threat mechanic involved drawing from a set of threat cards which bring new kingdoms on the map. These kingdoms let you lose existing cubes and even sometimes losing the valuable naval connections which take long to rebuild.

For more information about the gameflow, see the other reviews.

A few thoughts on strategy:

Each turn you have 2-5 actions. The action cards can only be played with a certain colour, so you have mostly these action points which are used to place the cubes on the board. Given the fact that a low result allows you to add a card to your hand and some powerful action cards allow you to forego the points for the play of the card, you can see that each player has an almost equal chance to score at least on victory point for each action point. Certain times, even more when you are able to place a Podesta on a colony (the mayor). So, there are a few routes to victory: make sure you place your cubes spread out on smaller colonies, but always try to include one cube in the large colony for presence. Do not fight for Podesta until you really need to, as the one additional point for the large Podesta is not worth it if you can pick two smaller Podestas for the same cost (thus getting 4 VPs instead of 3 VPs).
Engage enemy fleets immediately with military dice, there is not much you can do better with military action. Protect the yellow dice, they often have strong action cards as well. They can gain you a quick presence in many small colonies, so use the Doge marker.
Now, the veto power. Do not play without it. However, use it wisely. It is tempting to protect a large colony Podesta with a veto, since seemingly you only lose one doge hat for the veto. But the large downside is that your doge is out of business in a hurry and your competitors are able to gain the title on the cheap. This also leads to the necessity of preservering your better Doge candidates for the later game where being the Doge is better than earlier. Especially, do not forget the last doge election which can net you a whopping 6 VPs if you saved your best man.

All in all, Venetia is an engaging, but not short historical game. It teaches a lot about the rise of the Republic without adding complex military mechanism to the game. It includes a healthy dose of conflict with more than 2 players, so if you are out for a more relaxing evening, play it with 2. Scaling wasn't done for less players, so the game plays differently with each number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Phil like it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Klarmann
Germany
Bad Schönborn
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which Phil? Eklund? Have not shown it to him, good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philipp Klarmann wrote:
Which Phil? Eklund? Have not shown it to him, good idea.

Yep, I mean Phil Eklund...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hester
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
meow
mbmbmbmbmb
completely agree. This game is available for $10.00 right now on Coolstuffinc, which is mindblowing to me. I greatly enjoyed it, and look forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
BenjaminHester wrote:
completely agree. This game is available for $10.00 right now on Coolstuffinc, which is mindblowing to me. I greatly enjoyed it, and look forward to playing again.

surprise 9 €....Insane. Frankly offensive to the guys who developed the game, who, BTW, are the same behind War of the Ring (Second Edition).
Simply incredible, and sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tschida
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Philipp Klarmann wrote:
Venetia is a must have for the historical gamer who likes to live the rise and fall of the Serenissima.

Dang, that's a niche market right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claude nameless
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, terribly underrated. My group loves this game and it is always a pleasure to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
Yep, underrated and a steal for the price. Played it for the first time the other day and my group greatly enjoyed it. I agree that going after smaller colonies gives you more value. The major colonies are also much more vulnerable to political changes through the event cards. Taking out fleets and making treaties with other powers. are important ways to get points.

I liked the historical aspect through the event cards. The game we played worked out historically: the Ottomans were running wild by the end making trading difficult, while the French and the Austrians made their presence heard at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mike
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because Tom Vasel is an unreliable reviewer who slams games after one (or zero?) play, and frequently misunderstands rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.