Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is BGG Play by Forum Arkham Horror game number 50.

Sorry, this is invite-only. If you wish to participate in one of these games there is a waiting list here: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/AH_PBF

Post Typography
* Normal text for discussions, etc.
* Italics for flavor text/fluff. This is optional, but encouraged.
* Bold for in-game moves and actions.

Images
Please use images in your post to identify your character when you post. It helps people keep track of who everyone is. You can find some banners in this geeklist. Doing this helps me avoid being confused. Please don't confuse the person with access to a bag full of Shoggoths.

Subscribe to the thread!
I will usually refer to everyone by their character name. For the sake of game speed, COs (Conditional Orders) are a great way to keep things moving along unless you check in frequently.

Game Type
This will be a 4 to 6-player game using the following expansions:
Base + Kingsport + Lurker at the Threshold + Injury/Madness. All Investigators and Items from Lurker and the big box expansions will be used (includes Dunwich, Innsmouth, and Kingsport).

The Herald will be the Lurker at the Threshold (naturally). When players respond to the invitation, they should vote on whether or not they would like to play with one of the Kingsport Guardians.

Character Choice
Every player receives 3 investigators, of which he or she chooses one to play as.

Invites will go out sometime today to:
Nez477
The_Hotspur OUT
Higherrolls OUT
Krysmopompas IN
tobyfive1222
Shpigulinman OUT
lielay
dicegods IN
BenTheRat IN
BrokenMnemonic IN
Ischtwan
Daimbert IN

Guardian voting: Yes 3, No 0, Abstain 2
Personal goals: Yes 3, No 0, Abstain 0

I will accept the first six responses. The game will start on Monday 9/2 night (Eastern US time) as long as there are at least 4 investigators. Before then, if we get to six quickly.

Character Sheets
Character sheets aren't mandatory, but are very helpful for me, because I'm easily confused and it helps to have a sanity check (no pun intended) on what's going on with each character.

I use this one when I'm playing in games:

Current Sanity Current Stamina , Focus 3

Speed 2 3 4 5
Sneak 6 5 4 3

Fight 0 1 2 3
Will 3 2 1 0

Lore 1 2 3 4
Luck 5 4 3 2

$5 –   mb mb - Unique, Unique, Common, Common, Skill, Ally

Tropies: (0 Toughness)
Gate: (0)

Map Images
I will be managing the game using Vassal. Map images will be generated from Vassal and posted here.

There is no requirement for individual players to install Vassal, but if you want to, so that you can follow through the logfiles and watch out for mistakes that I might make, feel free. If someone would like to follow along in the logfiles, let me know and I will post links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite, I'm in! Interesting combo!

RE: a Kingsport guardian, I'm tempted to say no because the Lurker basically acts as a guardian in most games I've played with it, but what the heck...Bast rarely does much, Nodens only really helps with monster limit, and Hypnos floods a few more clues in the game (which might be useful).

So yes to a guardian - let's have a party!

Best
K.

Edit: actually if guardian is Hypnos, it might really dilute the temptation to use power points from the Lurker (because it will essentially act as even more of a guardian)...any chance if the guardian vote succeeds, we could limit the options to Bast or Nodens? That's my "revised vote", if it can count
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a new Arkham game ... that includes Kingsport, which is one of my favourite expansions and the one that is actually responsible for me actually playing and staying with this game? I'm in.

I don't care one way or the other about the Guardian, since I haven't really used them in PBF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Myob
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite! I don't have all the expansions so I'll have to pass. Y'all have fun and try not to go too insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Burns
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can count me in. Been a bit since I've played. But still love it.

Sure lets have a big party and throw in a guardian as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply - this is the first chance I've had to log in. I'd love a chance to play again, and I look forward to doing everything I can to avoid attracting the Lurker's attention!

Having a Guardian in the game sounds like fun to me, so I'm happy to vote yes for one. I've found them a bit hit-and-miss in terms of whether they affect the game or not, but I've played with them so infrequently that another chance to try one out is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenMnemonic wrote:
Sorry it took me a couple of days to reply

Not a problem, I am giving people several days to sign up before we get started.

BTW: We will be playing with a house rule for the Lurker. Power cannot be spent on the same turn that it is acquired. Based on some threads that I have read, this eliminates an exploit that turns the Lurker into a second Guardian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

No preference on guardians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Curren
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi all. I am not going to join because I do not have the expansions. Have a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly. -- Neil Gaiman, Sandman Vol 6
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to check - will personal goals be in play in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenMnemonic wrote:
Just to check - will personal goals be in play in this game?

I prefer them, but since I didn't mention it before, I suppose I should canvass the players.

Personal Goals, what say you all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play with them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, sign me up for personal stories.

And since we're using Lurker, we have Relationship cards too?

See you cats tonight - I think it starts tonight, yeah?

Hugs
K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmopompas wrote:
And since we're using Lurker, we have Relationship cards too?

I assumed that was part of the definition of playing with Lurker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep me too, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with Personal Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind personal goals one way or the other, but it does influence which characters I pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A player pointed out that I said the game would start on "Monday 9/2". Obviously, that is not a real date.

I meant Wednesday, but I think we can get started with character selection at least. If someone else should happen to join in, that will be fine.

Players
Krysmopompas 1d100 = (42) = 42
dicegods 1d100 = (53) = 53
BenTheRat 1d100 = (11) = 11
BrokenMnemonic 1d100 = (37) = 37
Daimbert 1d100 = (46) = 46
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 772892. brunoreturns
  • 1d100 =
  • (42) =
  • Tue Sep 1, 2015 1:29 pm
  • [+]
  • 772893. brunoreturns
  • 1d100 =
  • (53) =
  • [+]
  • 772894. brunoreturns
  • 1d100 =
  • (11) =
  • [+]
  • 772895. brunoreturns
  • 1d100 =
  • (37) =
  • [+]
  • 772896. brunoreturns
  • 1d100 =
  • (46) =
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dicegods

daimbert

krysmopompas

BrokenMnemonic

* The randomizer really wanted you to play an Innsmouth character

BenTheRat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krysmo here, look forward to playing with you all!

OK Daisy is my fave investigator and I was debating whether or not to try Jacqueline. Skids is interesting but he moves like a slug.

So if the team would like me to play Jacqueline (with her "2 clues to burn a Mythos card" ability), I'll do that.

Otherwise, I'll pick the bookish spellcaster...

K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take:

A diner AGAIN?!? I'm going to text my agent about this type casting ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
brunoreturns wrote:
A player pointed out that I said the game would start on "Monday 9/2". Obviously, that is not a real date.

I meant Wednesday, but I think we can get started with character selection at least. If someone else should happen to join in, that will be fine.

If you'd like a sixth player, I regularly invite
Mrs. Ho
Sweden
Ängelholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to join the games I run - she's a good player, good roleplayer, and great at helping to keep the game moving.

ETA: Given that Innsmouth isn't in play, so there are no Innsmouth Look cards to draw, are you content for Silas Marsh to be an eligible investigator for me? I'm mulling over my choices atm, but I'd feel a little guilty taking him without checking first, given that he has an intentional vulnerability where the Look cards are concerned. His personal goal failure also relates specifically to the Innsmouth board and the Deep Ones Rising track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenMnemonic wrote:
ETA: Given that Innsmouth isn't in play, so there are no Innsmouth Look cards to draw, are you content for Silas Marsh to be an eligible investigator for me? I'm mulling over my choices atm, but I'd feel a little guilty taking him without checking first, given that he has an intentional vulnerability where the Look cards are concerned. His personal goal failure also relates specifically to the Innsmouth board and the Deep Ones Rising track.

I am not that worried about the personal story. The fail condition is only slightly less bad.

As a character, I don't think Marsh is overpowered. However, the drawback having no effect does make his special ability a little too powerful, considering that there are several aquatic locations in Kingsport.

How about if he can keep the movement ability, but not the +2 to skill checks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond Hyland
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
badge
I dork therefore I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability to move back and forth quickly between Arkham and Kingsport can be useful (assuming the locations in Arkham become aquatic in line with the Innsmouth rules?) but without the +2 to skill checks while in Aquatic locations, Silas is generally indifferent at most tasks. I think, if you're willing, I'd rather draw a ne random investigator to replace him? I think I'd find it difficult to find things to do with Silas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Edmond, good to see you - I think it's been a year since my last PBF so I'm happy we're playing again!

Roland and Yorick are both great options - want to try running one of those dudes instead? With the options for the other 2 players it might balance out our combat-ready forces (whoever you would pick + Daimbert's Agnes) with the 2 gate/utility spell forces (Daisy, and probably dicegods' pick). BenTheRat has some good 'catch all' options to balance it all out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.