Subject: Custom click tracker for corp - Thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

a few weeks a go I 3D-modelled a custom click tracker for NR, with rotating clicks.
Here's the final part that I ordered at my usual 3D printing service, then painted.

Pretty unnecessary but looks cool & works like a charm, I'm super happy with it. Anyway.
A fellow BGG user asked if I could model a corp version.

I didn't indent to originally, IMO a corp version was even more useless . And even if not, a 4-click tracker (runner) would do the job as well for 3 clicks (corp).

Nonetheless I could model a 3-click tracker, more or less easily. So I have several options:
A- stay on my original idea and do nothing. One model fits all, they can be differentiated by painting them different colors, for example. Zero modelling work, super easy.
B- create a 3-click model, directly derived from the 4-click one (similar shapes). Not too much work, should be fairly easy.
C- create a 3-click model, with different shapes (for example, I could model flicking rounds instead of flicking hexes). More work, but strong visual differentiation.

What do you think?

I've done a little poll too:
Poll: Poll
Should I..
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A- ... do nothing ?
44.4% 16
B- ... create a corp model (3 clicks) directly derived form the runner model (4 clicks) ?
16.7% 6
C- ... create a corp model (3 clicks) with modified shapes (suggestions welcome) ?
5.6% 2
D- ... stay or should I go?
33.3% 12
Voters 36
This poll is now closed.   36 answers
Poll created by Roolz
Closes: Fri Sep 4, 2015 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice and easy to use!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Do you have a DIY for this? Click tracking is the thing I suck at the most in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
Do you have a DIY for this? Click tracking is the thing I suck at the most in this game.

I can relate, I suck deeply at NR (not only regarding click-tracking) .

I don't have any DIY, I just 3D modelled it and had it 3D printed. I wanted something the same size as the cards.
Since professional printers allow to manufacture models with interlocking/moving parts, no assembly is required here. Then I just painted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Roolz, that is really cool. After you've assembled and painted one for me, let me know. Then I'll get you my shipping info devil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roborob wrote:
Wow Roolz, that is really cool. After you've assembled and painted one for me, let me know. Then I'll get you my shipping info devil .

Thanks!
Sorry I don't do painting commissions .
But if you wish you can get one at the same online service as me (check my profile) and paint it . It's not difficult to paint actually (I've used maybe 3 or 4 colours). I believe that even just a sharpie pen on the back of the clicks would do the job (though it would look less "bling").

Anyway it seems that my "do nothing" option gets the more votes at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Surely if someone wants to use it Corp-side they can just use the extra as a mandatory draw market (or just not use the fourth click). Why spend all the extra time and money designing and making a three - click model when the original serves for both?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Surely if someone wants to use it Corp-side they can just use the extra as a mandatory draw market (or just not use the fourth click). Why spend all the extra time and money designing and making a three - click model when the original serves for both?

Yep that's why I thought as well. But since I had the request for a corp version I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here for other opinions (if any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks very cool. Is it heavy? Can you casually flip the click without moving the whole board? I can see on the picture that you give it thumb support.

I've found that custom click trackers are usually too fiddly/not reliable enough. In other words, amazing collector item, but not something you would use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite light.

I'd say that if your playing surface has enough grip (like a poker table felt, maybe), you might be able to flick a click with only one finger without the base moving. But I haven't tried, since it's more natural to use two fingers.
If I only had one finger on each hand maybe I'd just glue some steel nuts/washers under to weight it (but then I would have a hard time holding my cards) .
Anyway I find it more convenient, fast & reliable than to use tokens on the "regular" tracker card (just my opinion). For example, it takes me a fraction of second to flick a click, and if I bump the table or sneeze, the clicks don't move. So to me it's a keeper (though a pure gadget). It hasn't yet allowed me to win, however cry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest creating another one for the corporation. Have 4 areas, but in the 'first area' don't have a flipping mechanism, just have the words: "draw a card" in small font as a reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Quirk
msg tools
CommissarFeesh wrote:

Agreed. I try and use the four clicks even for corp but the first one is for the mandatory draw.

I wouldn't expect anyone would use the two different ones, but would probably just ignore the 4th click as corp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BobAloVskI wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:

Agreed. I try and use the four clicks even for corp but the first one is for the mandatory draw.

I wouldn't expect anyone would use the two different ones, but would probably just ignore the 4th click as corp.

Alright, it looks like the fat lady has sung. Unless the poll switches radically I won't do any corp model for now (maybe if I have some time in the future I'll model something along the lines of what richcharters suggested above).

Thank you all for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case in might be of use:

I've put a click tracker on the 2015 JVMF auction (I'll customize and paint it to the winner's specs) :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/197203/item/4232846#it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.