Hide
13 Posts

Secrets of the Lost Tomb» Forums » Rules

Subject: Staff of Ra question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Shada
msg tools
the staff of Ra has a discard after 3 use.

Does this mean you can only use it in combat 3 times or does it mean you can only use the tap ability 3 times then discard it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaides wrote:
the staff of Ra has a discard after 3 use.

Does this mean you can only use it in combat 3 times or does it mean you can only use the tap ability 3 times then discard it?

This can be used in combat unlimited amount of times...

If you use the Exhaust Ability 3 times, you must discard it! (Be careful during scenarios that you dont want to Discard it in!! where it's needed for End Game!) You keep track of the uses on your own by the way)

Thanks!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Shada
msg tools
Good we played it right then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Rhaz Azal 'Ahamet doesn't have either the Horror or Undead trait, does that mean the "tap +10 Combat" ability doesn't work against him?

That seems to make the Staff a lame artifact for inclusion in the first scenario, as other weapons (e.g. M1A1 Rifle) are just as good against Rhaz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Staff of Ra has a special effect in the scenario against Rhaz.

The reason for this is to balance Bosses and give them a bit of an edge Vs regular creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I forgot about the special ability. Good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Ah, I forgot about the special ability. Good point.

I didn't say what it actually does to not have a Spoiler Alert

But yes, it seems nerfed against Bosses, and it's for a pretty good reason for balancing reasons, but keep in mind, there's a lot of Elite Creatures to kill that are REALLY Tough ! devilgoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm, the Staff adds its bonus to Mythos attacks? I ask because it has a Knowledge symbol in the top left, but the card says "Mythos 2 Handed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Just to confirm, the Staff adds its bonus to Mythos attacks? I ask because it has a Knowledge symbol in the top left, but the card says "Mythos 2 Handed."

Paul!

Nice call! It's a misprint! (I know.. another one) but not a big deal...

Basically, because of the symbol... use it as a Knowledge Weapon.

That means, the player using it may use their Knowledge Attribute as their base combat score when using the Staff!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
mvettemagred wrote:
Since Rhaz Azal 'Ahamet doesn't have either the Horror or Undead trait, does that mean the "tap +10 Combat" ability doesn't work against him?

That seems to make the Staff a lame artifact for inclusion in the first scenario, as other weapons (e.g. M1A1 Rifle) are just as good against Rhaz.

Playing the first Scenario, and our Rhaz card does have the UNDEAD trait.
I would think tapping the Staff would give +15 against him. (Along with scenario bonus of -5 to Rhaz combat)

Is Undead a misprint on the Boss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tbookout wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Playing the first Scenario, and our Rhaz card does have the UNDEAD trait.
I would think tapping the Staff would give +15 against him. (Along with scenario bonus of -5 to Rhaz combat)

Is Undead a misprint on the Boss?

Originally, we intended it to work on Rhaz, but it was a minor misprint on certain bosses. I hate to say it, but it's a minor issue where you could play it either way. The scenario gives you a special ability against Rhaz which makes it very powerful already against Rhaz so the +10 against Rhaz is kinda over-kill...however, if you'd like to house rule it, you can

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bookout

Colorado
msg tools
Thanks for the final word.

Due to time, we had to 'Pause' the game when we got to the boss battle.
Now we can continue with confidence!

And I can see him not being undead, after all the story said he lived 300+ years before stasis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tbookout wrote:
Thanks for the final word.

Due to time, we had to 'Pause' the game when we got to the boss battle.
Now we can continue with confidence!

And I can see him not being undead, after all the story said he lived 300+ years before stasis

Yeah! Absolutely no problem!

When you dive into Secrets of the Lost Station, you will find out Rhaz Azul's background, you'll find out that he's not actually from Earth originally, and that he's not actually and never was truly human! Keep your eyes out

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.