Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Shadow Vault: Interlude rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On Wednesday we played the Shadow Vault. It's the first time I've ever played any of the quests beyond the basic ones and what I'm asking here isn't technically a rules question but I can't think of a place for it to fit better.

In the quest I used Giants in the room with Zachareth. Medusa a little further down and my reinforcement unit was Kobolds.

By the time the giants were dead the Kobolds were in full force in the stream. By the time the heroes reached the Medusae the Giants had come back and were halfway to the room with the Medusae.
At that point in the quest the heroes all quit. They said it would take too long and it wasn't fun.

I can't really argue with that, it really was dragging on for ages.

Can someone tell me how this level usually plays? Assuming that maybe you haven't got every single expansion and all the monsters so you're a little more limited I still feel like it'd be sort of a slog.
I get that maybe it's slanted towards the overlord because they'd have been losing a lot up until that point (i've lost two of the three levels) but it did start to feel like no matter what it'd take forever.

The heroes are:
Mordrog, Skirmisher
Chantalla (illa?), Necromancer
Lindel, Wayfarer
Elder Mok, Bard

They have the Wayfarer's stone as well as the Staff of Light. It was essentially impossible to actually kill them as they'd quickly be healed to full.

I don't really feel like I could have done anything else other than keep them held up for as long as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taear wrote:
[...] and what I'm asking here isn't technically a rules question but I can't think of a place for it to fit better.

How about the strategy forum? whistle
Sadly it is too long ago that I played this quest, so I have no good answer to your questions shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Taear wrote:
[...] and what I'm asking here isn't technically a rules question but I can't think of a place for it to fit better.

How about the strategy forum? whistle
Sadly it is too long ago that I played this quest, so I have no good answer to your questions shake

I'm not really asking for a strategy though, more a dissection of how the level was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taear wrote:
I'm not really asking for a strategy though, more a dissection of how the level was played.

But it isn't rules related and this is the rules forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Slamin wrote:
Taear wrote:

But it isn't rules related and this is the rules forum.

It's sort of rules because I'm asking if I'm doing something wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing to check is whether or not you waited long enough to activate the monster groups. As I recall (it's been a little while) there is a trigger that starts things at the bottom half of the map moving.

Overall, though, this is a long encounter. Since it's a single encounter quest, it's designed to take awhile. Were you using conversion kit giants, medusa, kobolds, or hero and monster pack ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that you can have a sudden turn around at the end since both parties are trying to take the same objective out the same exit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all this is a long encounter, so it should take much longer than normal encounters.

When I played this quest I was playing against a runemaster, so I didn't choose small monsters. Then again small monsters maybe really strong from the get go, but reinfrocing them takes a lot of time.

Overall the heroes shouldn't have given up if they still had the casket.

If they had at least some stronger weapons they could have focused the small monsters and kill them pretty fast and even the Giants can go down pretty fast by a few lucky rolls. This would have left you with a lot less power on the map, because you only could have reinforced one medusa or one kobold each turn. So if they killed all medusa and kobolds within 3 turns, you would only have left the giants and the 3 medusa scattered around the map. At this point killing one giant would have destroyed all your blocking capabilities and the heroes could have rushed to the exit pretty fast (because then it would've taken you too long to get your reinforced monsters to the heroes).

I think your problem was that new players tend to have a hard time getting how strong monsters are, when they had bad luck against them for a few turns, they usually overestimate their strength. I've expirienced the minion giant going down in 3-4 attack actions in act I (which is 2 heroes attacking) and that wasn't even in the interlude (when the heroes are the strongest in act I).

In a nutshell: After you got all your monsters on the map in this quest, the OL looks frightening, but usually his stregth drops rapidly, because unlike the first half of the quest, the heroes can kill multiple monsters each turn and once the heroes reached the river, the OL has a hard time moving his monsters in the heroes' way (often by trading their attack) and the quest ends pretty fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.