Subject: Adventurer's Guide, Chapter 3: The sum of all adventures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Sautter
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And here we are already for the third article on The 7th Continent’s game play. Last time we talked about the game’s diceless mechanics, the Action Deck and just what you could do with it. This time we’re going to explain how you turn a game with an advertised 15+ hour game length into a manageable experience.

So we’ve been throwing around some pretty big numbers concerning the size of this game. “1000+ minutes of game time”, “biggest board game ever”, “over 2m2 worth of map tiles”. Now that sounds epic but any game that promises that better have a very sleek system behind it otherwise it just becomes an unwieldy juggernaut. Luckily for you guys a LOT of work has gone into this aspect of the 7th Continent so, don’t worry, you won’t have to spend an entire weekend just to finish it.

SET UP

So for such a big game, how do we begin? Well it’s very simple really.

- You choose your character and one or more curses (each comes with a clue card that you’ll carry in your “Shoulder Bag”).
- Shuffle your character’s 5 unique Action cards into the standard Action Deck and place it somewhere within reach.
- Place down card Number 1 from the game deck and a random event adjacent to each of the exploration arrows.

Congratulations you are now ready to embark on an epic adventure!

WIN... OR DIE TRYING!

Now as you progress, bad things can happen. The 7th Continent isn’t exactly a charming holiday getaway. Most of the time the island, or it’s inhabitants, will be trying to eat your face.

Now there’s two ways to shuffle off the mortal coil in this game:

- By drawing a curse card from the discard pile after having ran out of cards in your Action Deck.
- By drawing a game card that reads “your adventure ends here…”, this is a rare occurrence mind you and when it does happen, don’t say the game didn’t warn you!

When this happens you discard any Idea cards from your hand as well as objects from your inventory. Sadly, for you, the adventure is over...

Or is it?

We wouldn’t have you play through hours or gameplay just to have it all spoiled because of a small mistake like falling off a cliff or poking a sleeping bear now would we?

The game features "checkpoints". If you can find them, these are cards you can carry in your "shoulder bag". In the case of your untimely demise; you can "respawn" on these points however you will lose all your cards in the process, almost starting again from scratch so it really is a last resort!

JOIN LATER OR LEAVE EARLIER

Another player can join in your adventure at any time. How do they do this? They pick a character, shuffle their 5 special action cards into the deck and away you go!

A fellow adventurer can’t make it to your gaming session tonight? Easy! Put his inventory and hand to one side, take his character cards out of the Action Deck and you can forge ahead!

SAVE THE GAME

Next up: You’ve finished your adventuring for the evening, your bed, significant other or nightlife calls. How do you save a game that takes this long? Once again, and I’m sure you may be getting tired of hearing me say this by now but: very simply.

Now the only prerequisite to saving the game is that all players must be present on the same Terrain card. Once that’s achieved you are good to go!

1. Take the terrain card the players are currently occupying.
2. Take the “shoulder bag” card and place any note cards beneath it.
3. Place the “Action Deck” save card on top of your remaining Action Deck (do NOT shuffle the discard into it).
4. Place the “Action Deck Discard” save card on top of your discard pile (you see why I told you not to shuffle it in with the rest? You’re not getting away that easily, the game remembers).
5. Take each players Character card and underneath it place:
a. The cards from their hand.
b. Their inventory cards, each one accompanied by a durability card with the item’s current durability at the top (ie. Towards the top of the character card).

Then place all these cards in the “save” slot within the 7th Continent game box.

Replace any remaining terrain and random encounter cards back into the game deck. This includes discarded cards.

Do NOT place banned cards back into the game deck, place them instead in the “Banned” slot in the game box.

And there you have it. Your 7th Continent game is stored and ready for your next session. The whole process should take about 20 seconds!

Next time we’ll be talking about totally random things! Not like crocheted pug plushies or gravestones for pet fish, but rather what The 7th Continent can do to keep you on your toes, throwing plenty of unseen elements at you, putting you in positions where the solution is not always evident and how, like a continent sized pachyderm, it remembers your choices!

Source: http://www.trictrac.net/news/the-7th-continent-the-sum-of-al...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the game's box is an integral part of the "save game" system? Can you give us a peek on the game's box and insert, and can the insert hold sleeved cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So you put back in the box the terrain you have already explored? Do you have to explore it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gillespie
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking only from what has been posted, not from any insider knowledge, I would say that putting all of the terrain cards back into the deckshouldn't be a problem for the following reasons.

-There is one set map for the continent.tiles are not placed randomly or arbitrarily a la carcassonne (sorry for that reference), but according to the numbered arrows on the edges of the tiles.

-In some instances, there are two (or more?) instances of a single tile. The example given in the BGG video was that there are two versions of card 001 and if you go up on the cliffs and look around you can see farther, so the normal 001 is banned and replaced with a golden 001 which looks the same but has an added detail of something to explore to the south.

-In the article above, it was stated that Banned cards are kept separately in the box

So, putting the previous point together, we can say that by putting out the terrain tile that the adventurers left of on and following the numbered arrows, you could recreate the map as it was left off very easily, and avoid any continuity errors.

The only thing that wasn't mentioned was a way to remember which tiles have been explored and which ones have not, but I'm sure that they have figured that out as well. It could be something as simple as keeping all of the explored tiles together at the front of the deck in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darsh 97 Cl.199
France
Issy-les-Moulineaux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
can the insert hold sleeved cards?

That is indeed a really good question.
I would dare say that given the audience this game gets, there could easily be a stretch goal consisting in supplying (premium) sleeves with the game!
That is what Mayday did with Viceroy and that was a really good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
can the insert hold sleeved cards?

I sleeve most of my games, but I doubt I would sleeve 7th Continent, because these are cards you aren't shuffling or handling much (or reusing over and over). Plus, I'm not sure I'd want to sleeve the 700+ cards in the base set (many of which I might never use)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have to say, I have found the these posts very well written and informative. I suspect I will pass on the game now, not because it is bad nor because of its mechanic.

I suspect with so many tiles this will be an expensive game. Again, not the only reason I will pass, just a factor. I can't see my being able to get this to the table very often, or even the floor (I have very little in the way of real estate, as it were, for solo) and am unlikely to find those who would want to join me.

However, I would LOVE to have this game. It looks gorgeous, it is ingenious in its execution. It clearly has taken time to come to market because it is a really big piece of work. I loved Adventure Books, having been there from Firetop Mountain onwards.

I hope those guys get a mention in the rules, as inspiration, but clearly this is bigger in scope and better in that you are having to achieve this with less words!

Good luck guys. I will be continuing to read these and will look with envy on those that post pics, Reviews and Session Reports.

Cheers,

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are 15 hours into the game and have explored 30 cards, I don't see how we collect all of those in only 20 seconds. Yes, I understand that the explored tiles can only be laid out in one specific way, but it will still take time to pick them all up and put them all back out again. The game boasts having a 2m squared map. While few (if any games) will ever achieve this, even having a half square meter map will be a huge map with many tiles. Most likely you will not have a perfect square of exploration but it will look like a crazy tree with arms sprouting in all directions.

The first post in this thread doesn't even address this. It just says you take the terrain tile you are on, I don't think it says anything about the terrain tiles you have explored. Though, the one good thing about picking everything up and putting it back down when you play again is that you can recenter the map each time. One thing I don't like about Carcassone is that you don't know in which direction the map will grow, so you often have to shift everything back to the center to prevent the "map" from growing off the board. Since 7th continent should only grow by a few cards each play session, you should be able to easily recenter it with each new set up.

Perhaps a video showing this save method with about 20 map cards out there would be more helpful. Obviously, they don't want to spoil the map cards by showing us 20 of them, but maybe they could flip the cards over or have blank map cards.

Saving the game is going to be a huge factor in anyone buying this game as no one is going to play it for 30 hours straight, and if it is too cumbersome to tear down and set up 15 times, then most won't bother with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:
If we are 15 hours into the game and have explored 30 cards, I don't see how we collect all of those in only 20 seconds. Yes, I understand that the explored tiles can only be laid out in one specific way, but it will still take time to pick them all up and put them all back out again. The game boasts having a 2m squared map. While few (if any games) will ever achieve this, even having a half square meter map will be a huge map with many tiles. Most likely you will not have a perfect square of exploration but it will look like a crazy tree with arms sprouting in all directions.

The first post in this thread doesn't even address this. It just says you take the terrain tile you are on, I don't think it says anything about the terrain tiles you have explored. Though, the one good thing about picking everything up and putting it back down when you play again is that you can recenter the map each time. One thing I don't like about Carcassone is that you don't know in which direction the map will grow, so you often have to shift everything back to the center to prevent the "map" from growing off the board. Since 7th continent should only grow by a few cards each play session, you should be able to easily recenter it with each new set up.

Perhaps a video showing this save method with about 20 map cards out there would be more helpful. Obviously, they don't want to spoil the map cards by showing us 20 of them, but maybe they could flip the cards over or have blank map cards.

Saving the game is going to be a huge factor in anyone buying this game as no one is going to play it for 30 hours straight, and if it is too cumbersome to tear down and set up 15 times, then most won't bother with the game.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem with 2 or 20 map tiles out... 'Cause the only one that matters is the one you're on. The others will just go back to the box together with the ones you didn't explore yet.

That is, if I understood correctly.

When you "wake up" in the next play, you'll only have that tile out... And if you go to, say, south (where you came from in the last game session)... You'll explore it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tchuli wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't see the problem with 2 or 20 map tiles out... 'Cause the only one that matters is the one you're on. The others will just go back to the box together with the ones you didn't explore yet.

When you "wake up" in the next play, you'll only have that tile out... And if you go to, say, south (where you came from in the last game session)... You'll explore it again.

I think the concern is that unless you keep all of the "other" tiles organized in some way, it will be nearly impossible to find the tile you are looking for when you play again. So it might take a while to clean up as you organize the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TundraThunder wrote:
Tchuli wrote:

I think the concern is that unless you keep all of the "other" tiles organized in some way, it will be nearly impossible to find the tile you are looking for when you play again. So it might take a while to clean up as you organize the rest.

Yeah, that makes sense...
Unless they're in some kind of order, it'll be really hard to find them when the game asks you to get card X or Y...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piqsid wrote:

The first post in this thread doesn't even address this. It just says you take the terrain tile you are on, I don't think it says anything about the terrain tiles you have explored.

It's very simple.You don't need those.
When you continue your "saved game",you just need the tile where you were.
And it will works very well with the theme : you know you've seen a cave or a river to the south or the east,but you can't remember everything you've explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have any images of thefinished box yet but it has been rigourously planned out.

The "Save" process does only take 20 seconds, after that, yes, picking up the rest of the cards will take you a bit longer. That being said we also have plans for spacers and other aides in the box that will help you to quickly find and correctly reorganise the cards that you've used.

When you start up a saved game you only take out the map tile you were on when you saved, you then have to "build" or "rexplore" the map again, however, the game will remember any decisions you took or any effects you triggered.

This has 2 advantages:

1- It's part of the "adventure/exploration" theme. Can you remember where that statue was that you saw a few games ago? In a lot of the adventure books back in the day, you'd sometimes make notes on the back page of special elements, we kind of want players to do the same here.

(just y'know, write it on a bit of paper, not on the cards )

2- Yes the boards game is HUGE, and would be impossibly unweildy if you put it all together. This is unlikely to happen however unless you want to finish the entire game in one sitting (which some people have already said they want to try, but that's beside the point). Having you rebuild the board each session ensures that, even if you don't have a large gamming table or you're just playing on your desk over lunch, the game is perfectly manageable.

The game has been designed with this quick play style in mind. Just like the old books we don't expect players to do this in one sitting. When the "save" system was designed, it was meant to be quick and efficient enough that you could play a session as short as 5 mins without feeling that you'd spent your time just setting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sounds fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Cini
France
Nice
flag msg tools
Rough translation from a post by BrunoS, one of the designer :

"We designed the save system this way because, for us, it appears to be the simpliest/easiest way of doing, and that it fits well with the "spirit of exploration" :
Assuming you're walking through a forest and then, you pass by a shack, then later by a lake.
After few hours of walk and a sleep, you still know that there are a shack and a lake close to you, but it's not the same as remembering exactly the way to go back there and you don't know if the shack, that was empty yesterday, is still yet."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
[heavy breathing]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get a discount on multiple copies? I'm gonna want multiple copies in different save states to play with different groups laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Can we get a discount on multiple copies? I'm gonna want multiple copies in different save states to play with different groups laugh

That's a real problem, indeed !

I can see myself, telling about the game to friends until,
- them : sounds great ! Can we play a game ?
- me : sorry, but no, I've already got a game in progress.
- them : are you serious, Poulp ? At least, can you show us the game ?
- me : ok, but don't touch anything, the cards are all sorted.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

Now we won't be doing discounts on the price of multiple copies but we will take it into account for shipping.

yves_bgg wrote:

shake

Now there is a way round this.

This isn't something we can account for in the game BUT there is an "unofficial" solution:

If you really want to set up another game you can note down exactly what cards are in your save pile, what cards have been banned from your previous game and you are good to go. A bit more time consuming but nothing outrageous and it will let you have multiple sessions rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck Cini
France
Nice
flag msg tools
WhelpSlayer wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

Now we won't be doing discounts on the price of multiple copies but we will take it into account for shipping.

yves_bgg wrote:

shake

Now there is a way round this.

This isn't something we can account for in the game BUT there is an "unofficial" solution:

If you really want to set up another game you can note down exactly what cards are in your save pile, what cards have been banned from your previous game and you are good to go. A bit more time consuming but nothing outrageous and it will let you have multiple sessions rolling.

And what about a turnkey notebook for a SG ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Mar
msg tools
Or as I do in other games just make a picture with your phone of the cards in play and another one with the banned cards; also each player can do the same and eventually continue solo at his home if the group disbands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am probably being dense, but I am having a hard time understanding the save system. I understand the pickup part of it, but not the lets set it back up and start our game again part.

1. When we come back to the game, will it be set up in the exact same way as it was when we left (same things discovered/not, or just even everyplace where it was last time)?

2. Or are we the only thing in the same spot (since we are on the same tile during save) and everything else around us is randomized with the tiles we had before (ie. a lake I discovered behind us is now in front of us) or as if it was a fresh game with new tiles?

I have never played this type of game, but it reminds me a lot of a traditional video game rpg. That said, Video games have bosses and side adventures along the way that are large enough to make you feel accomplished and satisfied when you save for the night. Will this game have satisfying natural stopping points like this or is it more of its just been to long, but that's ok because the ending is going to be great?

Sorry for the wall. I am really interested in this game, but also perplexed lol. I wish I could see an actual video of gameplay and of a sample Save/Setup scenario! Thanks for any help and sorry to anyone who laughs at my confusion heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
fubarbox wrote:

2. Or are we the only thing in the same spot (since we are on the same tile during save) and everything else around us is randomized with the tiles we had before (ie. a lake I discovered behind us is now in front of us) or as if it was a fresh game with new tiles?

As I understand it, it's this, but not randomized. If you save on tile 20, and south of that was a tile 18, then the arrow on the south side of tile 20 will still say #18, meaning to go get tile from the box: if there was a lake to the south last night, then there is still a lake to the south now.

You'll still have to have a new random encounter before you reach #18, but if you did something to tile 18 that caused a change in the world (upgrading it to the gold tile instead of the blue) then the blue one will still be in the 'banned' section of the box and so you'll immediately start with the gold version.

On the other hand, if you've had a bad run of random events, or a string of very short play sessions causing you to feel like you're just not making progress, I don't think there's anything stopping you from keeping your current map tile and several adjacent ones in the save slot... the numbered arrows should make it easy to reassemble the map; just draw new random encounters around the edges. Keeping your entire map every game would probably not work, both because that number of cards would be a hassle and because your table probably can't hold the entire map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
There are two questions I can think of at the moment:

- What happens if one player dies? Is that player totaly out of te game or can he/she re-enter immediatly, maybe with a different 'character'?
- Would a 5th or even 6th player be possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-They'd come back in at the last "checkpoint"

-The game is limited by the 4 characters in the box...but..you never know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.