11 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Advancing Issues with the bot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry E
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I started playing the solo Training Scenario last night, the main thing that gave me a tough time time was the advancement of issues. I was hoping for some insight on what others are doing.

When choosing an issue to advance the bot tell you to pick an issue that your card plus modifier advances onto that factions track, moves an issue closest to that track then random. In most cases there are multiple choices, is the position that the issue gets to on the track important? I feel there are 3 options which I listed below to make responses easier.

A) Pick the issue that a card plus modifiers gets closest to your chair then random

B) Randomly pick among issues that a card plus modifiers gets to any spot on your track

C) Use A or B but override if a key issue for that faction is on the table eg: Second Front or USSR Declares War

I know it says use common sense but at some point you end up playing more than one faction if you use C too often.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
If Churchill won the opening hand, Stalin Bot will choose Atomics (until he is max). He will then seize it with himself as his opening choice.

Churchill Bot loves GLOBAL, and I like to go for Pol/Mil with him too, cars allowing.

Don't forget the big leader bonuses, and don't get so caught up in card text that you forget about the war.

In FTF Play the Western allies look for agendas that they want but that Stalin does not. Strat Materials fits this criteria.

Remember that Stalin will only debate once per round, and will use his one Pass the first time he debates. The other two Bots will also debate and then pass. Usually there is no reason for them to debate after that.

Read all the articles here. Mark wrote sooo much of great help in this area for human play and Bot insights.

A couple of questions--I don't have the Bot playaid in front of me, so bear with me:

1. Isn't there language that the preference is to hold the highest valued card until last? I had assumed this included the leader card. But maybe it's referring to the highest non-Leader card? In otherwords, wouldn't this prevent Stalin from playing his Leader card to immediately grab the atomic issue?

2. What prevents Stalin from debating more than once per round? I thought the bot would debate anytime debating would move an issue to his track to take advantage of the Nyet ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:

A couple of questions--I don't have the Bot playaid in front of me, so bear with me:

1. Isn't there language that the preference is to hold the highest valued card until last? I had assumed this included the leader card. But maybe it's referring to the highest non-Leader card? In otherwords, wouldn't this prevent Stalin from playing his Leader card to immediately grab the atomic issue?

2. What prevents Stalin from debating more than once per round? I thought the bot would debate anytime debating would move an issue to his track to take advantage of the Nyet ability.

Hiya,

1. A leader isn’t part of your Staff Deck hand. I consider the intent of keeping your highest Staff Card for last being the ability to snatch an issue onto your own track right before a conference ends - or snatch one back!

2. A leader can only do the following once per conference (if permitted): Advance an issue, debate an issue, break a tie. The leader then becomes inactive. “Nyet” is the Soviet’s National Characteristic and not determined by Stalin being active or inactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:

1. Isn't there language that the preference is to hold the highest valued card until last? I had assumed this included the leader card.

Also remember, to use a Leader to advance an issue or debate one, you need to discard a Staff Card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
[q="rstites25"]

2. A leader can only do the following once per conference (if permitted): Advance an issue, debate an issue, break a tie. The leader then becomes inactive. “Nyet” is the Soviet’s National Characteristic and not determined by Stalin being active or inactive.

Ah, I was reading Stalin as the USSR generally not the Stalin card specifically. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
If Churchill won the opening hand, Stalin Bot will choose Atomics (until he is max). He will then seize it with himself as his opening choice.

Churchill Bot loves GLOBAL, and I like to go for Pol/Mil with him too, cars allowing.

Are you following the Bot logic on the charts for these decisions as I haven't seen Global or Atomics get picked by the Bots so far. Or are you altering their decisions to make more sense based on their scoring priorities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also struggling to implement this rule for the bots.

Picking the card seems ok to me, each round I reorder the cards depending on the potential changes in the attribute contribution, they alter as issues move around the table tracks.
If it is, as it were, generic then all cards are a potential target, if it has a specific issue attribute - focus on that issue
However

Advances an issue onto the #### track, moves an issue closest to ### track, if choice pick randomly

I don't think I get this as I keep doing different things which leads me to think that the language is a bit off, unlike the rest of the game

Today I am mostly doing

Advance an issue on the #### track and or move an issue closer to ### track if choice pick randomly

What is everyone else doing here ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bot is designed to try and win conferences by winning issues, so with each card play they will try to either move an issue onto their track, or move the issue that they can get closest to their track, if there is no issue they can actually get onto their track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john rees
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hants
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
The bot is designed to try and win conferences by winning issues, so with each card play they will try to either move an issue onto their track, or move the issue that they can get closest to their track, if there is no issue they can actually get onto their track.

Ahh, That looks more sensible. Thanks two sheds

Of interest do you run both options together, ie with a non issue specific card add identify those that you could get onto track and the issue(s) that would get closest and then randomise the choice. The alternative being, do the issues onto track first and if none go to those which would be closest.

This is a great game I've played it solo and with two,my mate was equally impressed with the historic feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the bots are really just there to provide a framework for how each leader would/should play - what we've done is first save the highest card for last then check for the bot's highest value (+ attribute) card that applies to a specific issue, and if that gets that issue onto the track play that.

If the highest value card doesn't apply in that situation, the bot advances whatever issue it can get furthest down it's on track, bearing in mind how they are supposed to behave with 2nd Front, USSR Declares War on Japan etc.

Finally, if neither of the above will work, play the card to get an issue as close as possible to it's own track. If there's a choice in any of these usually randomise it, although sometimes we will over-ride the bot and pick what would be the generally obvious play in a particular situation based on the aims of the particular leader in a 3 player game.

Agree on this being a great game, only played two player so far but first 3 player game tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.