Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on several posts (especially by nico3fr and Ibbo), I put together a 2-sided quick ref that I can give to players. I'm frequently flipping through the manual.

There's a lot that could be here, especially on the tips, so I chose ones that I think new users would refer to most often. Also, since I'm not marking up the cards, I wanted to have the errata here.

I appreciate any feedback. I'm still proofreading. If others think this is helpful, I can upload this in the Files section.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQXdefdGeHQUWtoNDkxZS1mYmc...

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supposed to be getting my game today. I'll try it out as I'm learning. Thanks for sharing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great.

But man, one thing I do not like about the rule book and all the summaries that follow is this:

The rule book is ordered (i.e. Phase 1, step 1: do x. Step 2: do y, etc.). This means that pretty much all the summaries are ordered in such a way as well. This means we get confusion similar to your Reinforcement Phase section: you say "reset the reinforcement track" if there is no encounter. Right away I ask myself "but don't you reset it if there is an encounter as well, just later?!" You then get to this. The way that would be the least confusing to me is to format it in such a way:

Reinforcement Phase:

1. If the area is perilous or overrun and there is no active encounter,
draw one.
2. If there is an active encounter...
a. "Add <reinforcement track> # of Enemies specified by the Encounter
(Starting Enemies/appropriate deck /keyword)."
b. "If not enough enemies, reshuffle enemy discards. If still
insufficient, increase Time track by 2."
3. Reset the reinforcement track.

You will notice that the reset always happens no matter what at the end of the encounter phase.

The rulebook has a few of these issues with ordering where there is a conditional (i.e. if something is true/false/etc) but the following item which depends on the conditional is formatted to the same level as the conditional (as opposed to either in the same line, as I did in number 1 of my example, or on an indented level, as I did in number 2 of my example).

I really like your guide. It makes things pretty clear and in less dense wording. This is just something that has irked me since I got the game a couple days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. Some suggestions:

Section 1 - Don't talk about drawing encounters during this phase - this happens during the travel phase.

Section 6 - Relentless enemies don't cause the encounter to be continued, they just don't get dispersed.

Good job getting the Errata in there - I may print this out for just that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, miloshot. I thought the Reinforcement section could be leaner. In fact, I had it in my head to make that very change, but I was focused on parsing the rules and left it out.

In fact, one reason I create these for most games is that it's a way for me to better understand it. Unfortunately, nearly every game manual has problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thats fair. Maybe for a later version. It's just when a manual includes a line, I don't expect it to include that same line later in the same section so I either forget about it or I just don't pay attention well enough.

I hope they update the manual for that. The Mage Knight manual would be a perfect example of how (I think) it should be written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jason.

So, the relentless enemies remain, preventing Resting. The Encounter is ended and removed, but these enemies are still in play. Players could stay at the location for another round, then, and fight the Relentless enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably one of the few who still hasn't played Mage Knight.

One possible reason to have the repetition is that if you have no active Encounters, you'd reset and go to the Travel phase. (I didn't word it like that, though, and neither does the manual.) So, you don't have to go through the rest of the items.

Still, with this short reference, I eliminated the repetition. I'll look for other similar places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really should check it out. Especially if you are fine with playing a heavier game like Mistfall, Mage Knight should be right up your alley.

Also, will you be uploading the pdf to the files section?

Edit: reread your original post. You may post it in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After another day for feedback, I'll upload it to Files.

I've uploaded an updated version at the above link. I'll continue to do this as I get feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbeason wrote:

So, the relentless enemies remain, preventing Resting. The Encounter is ended and removed, but these enemies are still in play. Players could stay at the location for another round, then, and fight the Relentless enemies.

Yep. Or even go somewhere else and fight the relentless enemies, although that could be more trouble than it's worth. Starting another encounter with enemies hanging around from the previous one and no chance to recover could be a dicey move, but depending on your time constraints could be necessary.

And on the Mage Knight front, I'd say MK is a bit heavier than Mistfall. There are definitely similarities though. If you think you'd like something heavier than Mistfall in the same vein, you may enjoy MK. MK has a steeper learning curve, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick change: under the poison section, it mentions "... each Burning token ..."

I assume you meant Poison token.

Edit: second thing. In the Enemy Focus Track section, you say that the Enrage icon means that the "Hero owner must enrage 1 Raging Enemy in their Hero area." (emphasis mine)

I think you mean "... must enrage 1 calm Enemy ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raging Enemy text is correct, but it could be clearer. It's a type of Enemy, as indicated by the symbol below the card title. See the bottom of page 5:

"Raging Enemies
A Raging Enemy (denoted by the Raging Enemy symbol) is not a separate Enemy class . . . ."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbeason wrote:
The Raging Enemy text is correct, but it could be clearer. It's a type of Enemy, as indicated by the symbol below the card title. See the bottom of page 5:

"Raging Enemies
A Raging Enemy (denoted by the Raging Enemy symbol) is not a separate Enemy class . . . ."

Then, did you mean to type "...engage 1 raging enemy..."? I don't know how one would enrage something that is already raging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's correct as written. "Raging Enemy" is a type of monster as indicated by the Raging Enemy icon in the box below the card title, as described on page 5. That does NOT mean that it is already in an Enraged state--only that it is capable of being Enraged. monster type vs state

The icons on the Time and Reinforcement track are the same as Raging Enemy (monster type) and not the Enrage eye icon (state). So, when the markers are on those spaces, you are putting 1 Raging Enemy monster in an Enraged state.

That is also how it is written in the rules on p. 17, step 2 in "Enemy Focus Track Numbers and Symbols":

"The Raging Enemy Symbol requires the owner of the Hero Charter to immediately Enrage a Raging Enemy of their choice in their Hero Area, if able."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought THAT was a typo as well. I stand corrected and thanks for explaining that.

Whew, this game is a bear (probably enraged) to learn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. I'm spending more time going through these rules than any game that I've played.

There's a thread on when exactly players can rest that I hope the designers clarify. As written, it doesn't seem that you can rest in the same round that you end an encounter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20192956#20192956

I'd like to get that clarified before uploading this in the Files section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules, and understood it to be that should an encounter be finished (thus processing the Encounter Aftermath), and there are no enemies in play, you rest during the aftermath.

The link you posted above had a response at 12:40 pm (after your post), which goes through that very question. And it made me feel better about my "skin of my teeth win"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbeason wrote:
I know what you mean. I'm spending more time going through these rules than any game that I've played.

There's a thread on when exactly players can rest that I hope the designers clarify. As written, it doesn't seem that you can rest in the same round that you end an encounter.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20192956#20192956

I'd like to get that clarified before uploading this in the Files section.

Wonderful player aid Gary. I have clarified that thread for you btw. I used to think exactly like you, but it's clear to me you CAN rest during the Encounter Aftermath which only occurs following an Encounter (which means the Encounters is still active until removed AFTER you Rest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated 6. Encounter Phase to reflect my newfound understanding.

You can get the update at the link above. I'm submitting it for Files.

Thanks everyone. And please continue to call out changes as you see them.

Hopefully, I'll have time today to play a game with it this afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.