England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to hear of any more strategies players have come up with.

One favourite of mine is to lose a Hop on purpose, allowing your opponent to immediately obtain enough cubes to purchase that particular trophy.

This is best done with the high point trophies when you likewise have almost amassed enough to buy it yourself.

Then when your opponent smugly buys the trophy and the chance passes to you, simply use the amassed Wild Cubes to buy other trophies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Strategies
zombiegod (#18793),

One has to plan ahead. Last time I played I intentionally did not win the one cube hop with a red cube on it because if I had, my opponent would have played a card forcing me to win a different hop and thus lose the game.

The 3 for 1 thing really does come up towards the end of every game. Not certain yet how it affects long term planning earlier in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie god(#18793),

In our games my wife and I hold off claiming the red or yellow trophies as long as possible. If you claim the red trophy early it just makes it easier for your opponent to collect a set of 3 reds and buy the grey, blue or green.

Thus in quite a few of our games 3 trophies and victory are acquired at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Taylor
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more a tactic than a strategy, but I've found it advantageous to play the last card on a losing hop (that is, one I'm going to lose anyway). That gives me the first play on the new hop, and I can flush an unwanted card to boot. Often a hop is won with the first card played on it; indeed, you can guarantee a win with a 1 or a 13 on a one-cube hop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rtaylor wrote:
This is more a tactic than a strategy, but I've found it advantageous to play the last card on a losing hop (that is, one I'm going to lose anyway). That gives me the first play on the new hop, and I can flush an unwanted card to boot.

Note that the hop loser ALWAYS gets to play first after scoring a hop.

--Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.