Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Haag
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Checking my reading of the rules...

What happens to an unbroken leader who Voluntary Routs, accompanies a broken squad, and the squad fails an Interdiction NMC?

Thanks,

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hadady
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Suulthanaur wrote:
Hi all,

Checking my reading of the rules...

What happens to an unbroken leader who Voluntary Routs, accompanies a broken squad, and the squad fails an Interdiction NMC?

Thanks,

John

The Leader is eliminated. A10.711, 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haag
United States
New York
flag msg tools

This seems kinda harsh. But, I appreciate the rules are the rules.

I was imagining a 10-2 leader with a broken conscript squad. The squad saying to the major, "Come with us across the street! We'll be better off!"

And, the leader responding, "no way man..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience, one seldom sees a leader voluntary routing with an MMC that one knows will face Interdiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hadady
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
In my experience, one seldom sees a leader voluntary routing with an MMC that one knows will face Interdiction.

A good Leader might deliberately do so with a unit with a high-broken-side-morale.

Remember that, though the Good Order Leader unit takes no Interdiction MC of its own, it can still add its leadership DRM to a routing broken unit's Interdiction MC. A10.711.

Some broken squads have a broken-side morale as high as 9. A Good Order X-1 Leader routs with such in relative safety, e.g.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hadady wrote:
A good Leader might deliberately do so with a unit with a high-broken-side-morale.

Of course it can be done, but you do not see it that often, is all I'm saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zartan Madinski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klasmalmstrom wrote:
Hadady wrote:

Of course it can be done, but you do not see it that often, is all I'm saying.

Perhaps you don't see it all that often because player's don't appreciate the nuance of the rules that Wayne cited.

When you play with beginners or casual players you don't see things like firelanes or overruns all that often because those players simply don't feel comfortable with these rules. New players also rarely voluntarily break and rout.

To some degree ASL is a competition to see who better understands all the rules variance that applies to each tactical situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am an idiot. I always thought that when a leader voluntarily routs, he is also voluntarily "breaking" (including DM). I didn't realize he stays on his Good Order side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zarmao wrote:
Perhaps you don't see it all that often because player's don't appreciate the nuance of the rules that Wayne cited.

No, I do not think that is major factor.

First of all, the routs that one knows will entail Interdiction are in the minority - i.e., most routing will be done without facing Interdiction.

Secondly, I would wager that one seldom wants to risk the health of a leader, by relying on that the broken NMC will pass an Interdiction MC.

You usually only see when you really need that leader to rout with the MMC, to have a chance of getting that MMC back in the next turn. So I think it is usually a sort of desperate move to try and pull off.

Sure, a -2 leader routing with an 8-morale broken unit has a pretty good chance of passing an Interediction MC, but unless you really need that -2 leader with the broken squad, you probably wont do it anyway.

And note that I am talking here about voluntary routing a leader with a MMC, when one knows there will be an Interdiction MC. Voluntary routing a leader with a squad that has only non-Open Ground terrain to rout through, now that happens quite frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.