Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding myself once again trounced by the damn time deck! So frustrating...:yuk:

My question is do you draw a time card after everyone's turn while engaged in an encounter? So if it takes us three full turns to finish the whole thing off, would we have drawn three time cards over the course of the encounter?

Also, if I read this right...you CAN rest for free (as in not drawing an additional time card) at a location after clearing all the enemies from it/placing the set number of objective tokens on it? I know that directly contributed to tonight's loss for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) you always draw a time card after everyone has had a turn fighting and defending.

(2) I'd like clarification on this too...the quest board seems to suggest you can rest the same turn you complete an encounter, but the rules seem to indicate that you can only rest if there was no active encounter at the start of a round.

EDIT: after reading thru the FAQ and some of the threads, it appears you may rest after completing an encounter as long as the location is now safe and no relentless enemies were left at the end of the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a fan of the time deck. I will probably house rule it somehow so that you aren't penalized EVERY turn you get stuck not getting the cards you need to take out a bad guy while they just pile up on your hero area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_fantastic wrote:
I am not a fan of the time deck. I will probably house rule it somehow so that you aren't penalized EVERY turn you get stuck not getting the cards you need to take out a bad guy while they just pile up on your hero area.

Bad guys won't pile up unless reinforcements are being introduced due to the encounter card or passing reinforcements on the focus track. Note that this track is reset at the end of each reinforcement phase (which I missed in my first play). That said the time pressure in this game seems pretty acute for many and others appear to be houseruling this or adding more at the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point you illustrated, though if you manage to get a crap hand and try to act on it (in the process adding to the focus track to the point of reinforcements), it can get pretty hopeless pretty quick, especially with a Relentless enemy or two (which still doesn't seem to have an explanation as to how it works).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Beason
United States
Carrollton
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was fuzzy on whether you could rest if you completed an encounter or had to go through another round in the safe location. To D&D me, the former seems good enough.

However, drawing a Time card every round makes it so that, if you're wounded, you can't stay on a safe tile for multiple rounds and regain buried cards without suffering a penalty. I would hesitate to change that rule, as hard as it is.

Are people having encounters where the Reinforcement Track gets to the end? That's where it would be brutal--to have that AND the Time card. Even having that happen one time in a quest could be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Dorrington
United Kingdom
Dorchester
Dorset
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I have played about 4 games now of 'Into the Wilds' and every time its the time track whilst on the final encounter that is our downfall. Maybe going to house rule that once you engage the final encounter there is no more time track events. Only have it played out on route to the final encounter but not in the encounter itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dods80 wrote:
Hello all,

I have played about 4 games now of 'Into the Wilds' and every time its the time track whilst on the final encounter that is our downfall. Maybe going to house rule that once you engage the final encounter there is no more time track events. Only have it played out on route to the final encounter but not in the encounter itself.

I have been using into the wilds encounter to test out various heroes and combos of heroes.

Observations

It can be very close timewise , which is a good thing IMO

After half a dozen games you learn when to rest with certain heroes (combos)

Into the wilds is a starter encounter and the real game starts with the others. It is a training ground , treat it as such and learn. If you win every time , what do you learn?

As you get experienced you win with more time in hand , this game takes some investment 5-10 games. After that things flow naturally and you play with an eye on the time and an eye on the prize.

Sometimes time is against you and then you lose an encounter but not the "war"

It maybe you need to sacrifice a hero to win the encounter , so that means they not be fullyfit for the last encounter. After the encounter is over they can be healed ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me add in that another user noted if you remove all the time cards that have a "II" in the title it is more balanced (no 3 space jumps on the time track!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_fantastic wrote:
Finding myself once again trounced by the damn time deck! So frustrating...yuk

My question is do you draw a time card after everyone's turn while engaged in an encounter? So if it takes us three full turns to finish the whole thing off, would we have drawn three time cards over the course of the encounter?

1 Time card per round so a minimum of 1 per location you travel to , plus any if you rest.

Every Turn so when you rest not just when you are engaged in an active encounter.

Often the penalty can be worth the delay, sometimes it is not necessary rocking onto every card , depending on the hero(s)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_fantastic wrote:
Let me add in that another user noted if you remove all the time cards that have a "II" in the title it is more balanced (no 3 space jumps on the time track!).

I would not use the II time deck until you are experienced and confident.

I believe it a deck swap not amid in, although it is up to you if you want to mix them.

You can also change the difficulty by moving the start position of the start track. As well as flipping the charters ,Hero and enemy between srd and nightmare.

I do not intend to go time II or nightmare until I have played everything through at least once and then I will use Into The Wilds as a training encounter, I find it more of a challenge and fun to face the other encounters with a fighting chance and not too much knowledge of what to expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
Every Turn so when you rest not just when you are engaged in an active encounter.

So, you're saying you don't draw a time card when you are still in an active encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that Into the Wilds should be used to work out the bugs before moving onto the next adventures.

That said we've played it three times so far with pretty much the same end result. :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickZ wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

So, you're saying you don't draw a time card when you are still in an active encounter?

No every Round( I should not have used Turn)

It is the last phase after all heroes have played (Hero Phase) ,all enemys have attacked ( defence phase) and after the Encounter Phase (Encounter Aftermath or just Rest or skip if still an active encounter)

It may take more than one round to resolve an encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it helps if you train solo in single or multiple heroes quests before trying to play it as a team. Thus you will have the time and the perspective to see all the opportunities and costs of the card combinations, before you have to negotiate a consensus with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my experience, the first games you get owerhelmed with enemies and the time track finish you off. In later games is rare to expend more than one turn per encounter. So, you heal every turn (more or less). And the time track only hinders wandering around the map or in the quest that the map keeps changing.

Also, in this game you could have a crap hand in one of the first two rounds of the game, after that you get the hand you planned for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.