Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lieske
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state

"If two units are in a hex together and hits must be taken, all hits are applied to the unit with the highest MP value. In case of two units with equal strength it is the owning player's choice."

So if multiple hits are scored in an attack, are they applied one at a time or all simultaneously. The above rule would have different effects in each case.

Example #1
A hex has a two strength infantry and a one strength artillery unit. It takes two hits.
-Are they both applied at the same time, so they both have to go to the infantry unit (highest MP)?
-Are they applied one at a time, so the first hit has to go to the infantry unit (highest MP) while the second hit could go to either (equal MP)?

Example #2
Same situation, only this time three hits are scored.
-Are all three hits applied to the two strength infantry unit, which eliminates it, with the third hit being wasted?
-Are the hits applied one at a time, so both units are eliminated?

I'm curious to know how people are playing this situation. The second example makes a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played allocating the hits one at a time allowing the distribution of hits against more than one unit but that is personal preference, a house rule if you will.

Because of the word 'all', the intent, I think, is for the hits to be applied to the same unit.

I am interested to see how others see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule is the same for Hold the Line, Frederick's War and other games in the system. Apply the hits one at a time, when you come to parity in the morale of the two units, you can select, and then continue to apply excess hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lieske
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it makes sense to me to apply the hits one at a time. Otherwise you get strange things like a hex with two one strength units taking three hits and one of the units still survives!

I did check BGG and Consimworld for Gettysburg 150. I should have thought to check Hold the Line! The rule is worded exactly the same in HtL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendid deduction!

But, in the example you give "wasted hits" are recognized (by the rules, more hits than 'strength' points).

Consider the G150 units are supposed to reflect morale (among other things, by the game notes/rules) and retain their stacking limitations regardless of accumulated hits...(short of elimination, by the rules)
then the possibility exists that 3 hits could be applied to one unit (1), sparing the other (1).

Rationalizations:
One may presume a "1" counter might represent [on account of stacking limitations] more than "one", the "more" being demoralized, and yet many bodies being available to absorb Minie balls.
Indeed, a one point unit could be raised back to a "3" by a Leader and time (by the rules)... presumably, there is "more" to the "one" than just "one".

The second unit if chosen to absorb "all" hits could be artillery busy loading cannister, while the infantry "duck" and hide, or are somewhat set some distance back, lacking "morale" to stand further forward.

The "HtL" solution gains credence if by the same designer or company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bogdasarian
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We play that a unit is selected to take the hits, as the rules state that "all hits are applied to the unit with the highest MP value". Since the issue is "morale", anything above the MP of the unit (for example, 2 hits applied to a 1 MP unit) is "wasted". The unit taking the hits simply disappeared. Where some confusion arises is if a melee takes place which eliminates the infantry, for example, leaving the artillery "alone" in the hex. I pose this question elsewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.