Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Viceroy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pay cost of card and then immediately choose those gems again - legal or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would like to confirm that payment for a character and drawing gems are, effectively, two different pools and don't interact with each other.

What I mean is, if I play a blue and a red to draw 4 gems, can I retrieve the blue and the red I paid from among my 4 gem choices? Or is it that I must first retrieve 4 gems and then place the 2 paid gems in the reserve pool?

I'm playing it like it's two different pools at the moment, but I'm wondering if I'm adding complexity where there isn't any.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Leutton
Australia
Kenmore
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as we've played - there's only one pool. If there's gems in it (which is where you discarded the cost to), then you can draw them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lux_interior wrote:
As far as we've played - there's only one pool. If there's gems in it (which is where you discarded the cost to), then you can draw them!

I think I like it better this way anyhow... simpler and can really reap the benefits of getting a monopoly on a gem. Only played 3 times, but the way I played felt clunky, which lead me to believe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sgt Pepere
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same as the others, there's only one pool and you can take back the gems you used to play a card. I mean, if you have two characters who needs the same gem color, it's useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, one pool. Adds some tactics, too (like chains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Randall
United States
Jeffersonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about players paying for cards in auction and gems available to a player that passes?

One player (we were all learning) wanted to argue that since a passing player chooses their gems "immediately" after passing, that the gems that any other players had bid in that same auction were NOT yet available to be among those chosen by the passer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.