Subject: Strategic (non-realtime) Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a fun, tiny game. I ordered some sets in the KickStarter, and am thinking a little about a variant that is not a real-time rush, but has some more deliberate and strategic (even if light, push-your-luck) decisions.

Here's my first attempt: feel free to add other suggestions:

The first player, chosen randomly, rolls the four primary dice (two yellow and two blue).

Subtract the lower blue die from the higher blue die, and the lower yellow die from the higher yellow die. Whichever color's "dice delta" is higher is the player who gets to take actions, and the number of actions is equal to the difference (delta) between the two deltas.

Example: Anna rolls the four dice and gets a blue 3, blue 5, yellow 2, and yellow 6. The blue delta is 2 (5-3) and the yellow delta is 4 (6-2). Therefore the yellow player would get to take two actions (4-2, the number by which the yellow delta exceeds the blue delta).

After a player takes actions (whichever player that is), the other player (the one who did not take actions) gets to roll the dice. In other words, if the dice keep giving the same player actions, the other player could roll multiple turns in a row.

Important! If the dice-rolling player does not like the results of the dice, instead of ending the rolling and having the player with the higher delta take the appropriate number of actions, the player could choose to re-roll the four dice!

There is no limit to the number of times a player re-rolls the dice*, EXCEPT the player risks ending the world with the monster! This is the push-your-luck element. If two of the four dice both match the number of the monster die, active from the start of the game, then the monster die spins down one. If all four dice match the number of the monster die, it spins all the way down to 1 immediately! If the monster die is already at 1 and all four dice roll a 1, the game ends in a loss for both players and players cannot even sacrifice a meeple to delay the inevitable.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. All other rules remain the same as the published game.

* Other possible variants include limiting the number of re-rolls allowed (to prevent a losing player from trying to end the world and make both players lose), by either saying a player can only re-roll the dice at most as many times as she has laying down meeples, or by saying that if the dice-rolling player wants to re-roll the dice, she must knock over one of her own meeples to do so (placing a high cost and hard limit on re-rolling).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that a lot, very nicely done and I will give it a try Ben! Thanks. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.