Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm gearing up to play this again after a long hiatus from it. I was just wondering...any good reason not to have the events fire on the cards that players purchase rather than on cards players draw, a la Pax Porfiriana?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be an interesting variant. I'd surely try it once or twice.

I think it would be really weird to play though. You might run into players avoiding catastrophes this way, which sort of "games" the system a bit. It would also be too easy to stall certain moves that would be damaging to one's own species... which consequently would make it a high target for another player to buy and burn, just for the "Take that" effect (which is very unlike BMF).

I think that it wouldn't feel as chaotic in terms of the early Earth randomness... it would gain a take that! Atmosphere that want intended.
It would make a metagame of pacing, delaying and revenge. Suddenly, no one is buying mutations for the DNA to evolve. Without playing I'm unsure what it would feel like...

But if you do play this way, please share your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Pax, you fire the events.
In BIOS, the events fire you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Hi all,

I'm gearing up to play this again after a long hiatus from it. I was just wondering...any good reason not to have the events fire on the cards that players purchase rather than on cards players draw, a la Pax Porfiriana?

In general, its my simulation goal to have events that the players may have some influence over (such as wars or stock crash) under limited player control, and events that the players have no control over (mass flood volcanism, bolide impacts) entirely under game system control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
jasonwocky wrote:
Hi all,

In general, its my simulation goal to have events that the players may have some influence over (such as wars or stock crash) under limited player control, and events that the players have no control over (mass flood volcanism, bolide impacts) entirely under game system control.

Ah, that makes total sense from that standpoint. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.